The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 3, 2012, 08:32 PM   #1
XtremeRevolution

Does anyone have any experience with the Armscor/RIA 1911 .22?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...11A1+XT22+22LR

Looking at getting this in the near future as a target practice gun. I've looked it up and it looks pretty good. Alloy/steel construction. Any thoughts?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2
Old October 4, 2012, 06:20 PM   #2
pilpens

I would have gotten one months ago but the slide does not lock open when empty.
Old October 4, 2012, 06:25 PM   #3
XtremeRevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilpens View Post
Forgive my limited understanding as I'm a bit new to this, but why was that an issue?

Old October 4, 2012, 06:31 PM   #4
ken grant

Check out the GSG 1911-22 or the same pistol at a higher price from Sig

another to check out is the one Colt lets Walther- Umarex build.
Old October 4, 2012, 06:40 PM   #5
XtremeRevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken grant View Post
Check out the GSG 1911-22 or the same pistol at a higher price from Sig

another to check out is the one Colt lets Walther- Umarex build.
I've been doing as much online research into all three of these as one possibly can do, and I'm not sold on the GSG due to reports of the poor finish on them rubbing off in certain areas. The Colt looks a whole lot better, and cheaper than the RIA to boot.

Old October 4, 2012, 07:07 PM   #6
PT-92

Quote:
XtremeRevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilpens
Forgive my limited understanding as I'm a bit new to this, but why was that an issue?
I don't know if that's true as I never deeply researched the RIA 1911-22 as it was a tad too high than what I was looking to spend solely on a range gun (honestly, if money were no factor I would have bought it ).

The slide staying open upon an empty mag is nice/practical in that it makes for a quick reload as well as notifying the shooter he's out. Nice feature but not a 'determining' factor for me.

Quote:
I've been doing as much online research into all three of these as one possibly can do, and I'm not sold on the GSG due to reports of the poor finish on them rubbing off in certain areas. The Colt looks a whole lot better, and cheaper than the RIA to boot.
As mentioned above, I have the GSG (same as SIG) model 1911-22. The finish is nothing more than a bit above average in my view but certainly not a deal killer. When I was researching the Colt Umarex 1911-22 offering I felt it was just a bit behind the GSG/SIG 1911-22 equivalent in terms of quality/durability (for the record solely my opinion as I have not had direct hands on with the Colt Umarex 1911-22).

When I was researching which 1911-22 plinker gun to get, I really found two that were unique in that the offered an all-metal frame/slide and those were the RIA and CZ (though the CZ isn't a 1911-22 model so to speak but still very pretty and durably reliable). Almost all of the other offerings in the .22lr semi market (S&W M&P, GSG/SIG, Browning, Colt and even the Ruger SR22 use cheaper types of metallic base material on their respective slides (some people refer to Zamak slides as "pot-metal" for example).

I will note that I have just passed the 2500 mark with my new GSG using cheap bulk ammo 90% of the time and CCI premium HV when I am doing serious competitive type shooting--Love the gun as it feels every-bit like my 1911 .45 auto.

-Cheers
Old October 4, 2012, 07:20 PM   #7
XtremeRevolution

Thanks for that overview. I'm certainly not attached to any one of these guns. I wouldn't mind getting the GSG knowing it's a solid handgun that I could run a few dozen thousand rounds through. A lower price would allow me more funds for extra magazines too.

Old October 4, 2012, 07:41 PM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-92
When I was researching which 1911-22 plinker gun to get, I really found two that were unique in that the offered an all-metal frame/slide and those were the RIA and CZ (though the CZ isn't a 1911-22 model so to speak but still very pretty and durably reliable). Almost all of the other offerings in the .22lr semi market (S&W M&P, GSG/SIG, Browning, Colt and even the Ruger SR22 use cheaper types of metallic base material on their respective slides (some people refer to Zamak slides as "pot-metal" for example).
It appears you overlooked the Kimber Rimfire (yes, they sell a complete pistol as well as a .22 conversion). It's all aluminum alloy -- no Zamak.
Old October 4, 2012, 07:49 PM   #9
PT-92

Aguila Blanca,

Good point in that it's another option for the "No Zamak for me Guys." Yet if the CZ and RIA were out of my price range, the $700 Kimber was not on my personal radar screen. I'm not really a .22lr competitive shooter so that why I set a budget for it when I was researching this (pretty much a plinker). However, if money were no factor...
Old October 4, 2012, 08:16 PM   #10
XtremeRevolution

The GSG is looking like a great option. Nearly $100 cheaper than the RIA.

Anyone know the difference between these two aside from the grips?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...rnia+Approved*

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...%22+10%2B1+Blu
Old October 4, 2012, 09:16 PM   #11
PT-92

AFAIK, just a couple of differences between the GSG-1911CA and the GSG-1911. The CA doesn't have a threaded barrel and, of course, it's marked GSG-1911CA on the slide.

-Cheers
Old October 4, 2012, 09:20 PM   #12
marine6680

The Ruger is aluminum... I believe the S&W M&P 22 is as well... But the S&W is full size.

And as far as the the difference for the ones you linked... looks to be the grips only.
Old October 4, 2012, 09:54 PM   #13
raftman

Do bear in mind that the likely reason that the RIA costs more than some of the alternatives such as the GSG is that the RIA offering is all steel rather than zamak or aluminum. I believe it will also accept a .45acp slide/barrel assembly which I suppose is pretty nifty.
Old October 4, 2012, 10:52 PM   #14
XtremeRevolution

Raftman, can you confirm if the RIA in fact does not leave the slide open after the last round has been fired? It does appear to be the best option of the guns on this list, and I don't mind paying for quality as I know I'll keep it a while, but I'd at least like to have something representative of a true 1911. The GSG advertises itself as having 80% interchangeable parts with other 1911s, which is an attractive feature, but I'm not convinced it's on the same level of quality as the RIA.

This is the only resource I have found on the RIA:
http://atomitronx.com/products.html

Quote:
The XT-22 Pistol represents what I feel to be the best combat 1911 .22 pistol available today. Unlike most .22 1911 conversions, this pistol is built as a complete gun. I designed it to be simply the toughest longest lasting .22 1911 you can buy. It is the only .22 1911 with a forged 4140 steel slide…..and the only .22 1911 with a one piece 4140 chrome moly barrel. All other conversions pale in comparison with their aluminum slides and two piece welded barrels. And the XT-22 is the ideal for target shooters or plinkers that want excellent accuracy…..since it's open slide design allows for mounting of our target rib ( Models available with full length Aluminum scope mount rib). I will be offering custom versions of this awesome pistol through my website, so pls inquire about how to get one!
Old October 4, 2012, 11:06 PM   #15
marine6680

In a range pistol the last round hold open is not needed... It is different than how a typical semi behaves, but its not detrimental.

You can still practice all the fundamentals and have fun with it even if it doesn't have the hold open.

If you want it to be just like a 1911 down to most details but for caliber, then it is different than how a normal 1911 behaves.
Old October 4, 2012, 11:10 PM   #16
XtremeRevolution

That's good to hear. It really is looking like a very nice option. The last round holding open isn't a deal breaker for me personally. My main concern with it being like a normal 1911 is with regard to the interchangeability of some parts should something break, but if it is built well enough, I don't think that would really ever be an issue. It's still something I take into consideration.

I also found this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzMX2yP0XXM
Old October 4, 2012, 11:27 PM   #17
raftman

Quote:
aftman, can you confirm if the RIA in fact does not leave the slide open after the last round has been fired?
I believe that is accurate, that is the slide does not lock open after the last round. In my opinion, that's not terribly important with a plinker type firearm.
Old October 4, 2012, 11:29 PM   #18
lovemyg2

armscor/RIA

you mean ria 1911 .22tcm? all i can say is when i tried it in the range,after i finished the whole mag,its a whooooah!!! like a dragon breathing of fire even on daylight,with the lightest recoil ever,for a muzzle energy of +2100feet/sec,you are lucky because here in the philippines where it is actually made it cost around $1200,it also comes with a 9mm conversion barrel that can easily converted in seconds.i think its a very nice buy there buddy.
Old October 4, 2012, 11:49 PM   #19
raftman

The OP is referring to the XT-22 in .22lr, not the TCM.
Old October 5, 2012, 12:02 AM   #20
XtremeRevolution

I can live without the open barrel at the last round for a dedicated target practice range gun. I just finished watching two youtube vids from a guy named hickok45 who reviewed a .45 ATI 1911 (same company from what I'm understanding), and with the exception of shooting too low, it seems to be a very well built gun and a great value.

I spoke to a friend of mine as well, and he mentioned that all of his military buddies swear by RIA/Armscor guns, saying they're dead reliable and an incredible value.
Old October 5, 2012, 08:08 AM   #21
PT-92

Just to be clear, ATI is not even remotely related to RIA. ATI is just a distributor of all kinds of guns produced by other companies. RIA builds their stuff and markets it as well.
Old October 5, 2012, 08:32 AM   #22
Microgunner

I own one and it's a fine pistol.
All steel with a heavy bull barrel and walnut double diamond grips.
It feels good in the hand, real good.
Trigger is sweet. Better than my Kimber Rimfire Target's trigger and the RIA uses the same mags as the Kimber. Handy.
It's very accurate, and a far sight better built than the current crop of German 1911-22s.
It does not lock open on the last round, not a deal breaker for me, and it does not properly fit a standard 1911 holster.
I'm very happy with mine.

Old October 5, 2012, 09:10 AM   #23
PT-92

The obvious theory of why many reputable companies (S&W, Ruger, GSG, SIG, Colt etc...) have elected to use Zamak (or an equivalent thereof) on their respective slides is 1) it cuts down quite a bit on costs and 2) the vendors belief that the .22lr does not call for an all-steel/alloy/aluminum slide compared to its big sister the .45acp.

As I said earlier, my GSG has been rock-solid after a couple of K downrange--yet if I was not evaluating my .22lr candidates with money being a key variable in that equation, I jump on the RIA or CZ (not too familiar with the others like Kimber in .22lr). If one is willing to spend $500+ on a .22lr range plinker it's a done-deal.

-Cheers
Old October 5, 2012, 09:10 AM   #24
willhud

I am a novice, but recently purchased the Sig 1911-22. I have only had it at the range once, but I love it.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/76555
Old October 5, 2012, 09:27 AM   #25
XtremeRevolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT-92 View Post
Just to be clear, ATI is not even remotely related to RIA. ATI is just a distributor of all kinds of guns produced by other companies. RIA builds their stuff and markets it as well.
I may have misspelled something. It's API I was referring to. On the buds gun site, this gun is labeled under API, RIA, and Armscor.

I understand that ATI is an entirely different manufacturer now. One I hadn't heard of before, but may consider in the future. Thanks for clearing that up.