The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 1, 2018, 01:36 PM   #1
DirtyMax76

Looking to get into USPSA

Looking to get a equipment list for USPSA. I will be going into carry optics. As I have right now I have a Canik TP9SFX with Vortex Venom red dot. Race belt, 2 double generic mag holders from blade tech and 4 magazine. And I have a holster. Do you think I need more mags to start in that division? I was thinking 2 more mags and getting two single mag pouches from blade tech. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you
Old February 1, 2018, 01:47 PM   #2
BillM

Maximum round count per stage per USPSA rules is 32.

You can load your magazines to capacity in Carry Optic. You can even get an
extended base pad, as long as your mags do not exceed 141.25 mm in length.(140)

I shoot it with a CZ75 SP-01 Tactical, with a Springer dovetail mount and a 6 MOA
Vortex Venom.

Stock mags hold 18, my 140 mag holds 23. Typically I have 1 in the gun and 3 on
my belt at the start signal. How I utilize the 140 mag depends on the stage.

You are fine to start with what you have. Get out and shoot. If you need more it will
become evident with time.

Welcome to the forum!

Thought it wasn't on the approved list--but it is. Added May 2017. Sorry for any confusion.

Last edited by BillM; February 1, 2018 at 02:06 PM.
Old February 1, 2018, 01:53 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

Go here and read their rules.
https://uspsa.org/rules
Then go here and find a club.
https://uspsa.org/find-a-club
Have a read of this too. There are lots of sites for beginners on-line. A net search for 'uspsa shooting' turns up a bunch of 'em.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...01-uspsa-ipsc/
It doesn't hurt to have more mags than you need.
You will find that most shooters will bend over backwards to help a new shooter. Just remember that none of the shooting games are even remotely practical and have nothing whatever to do with CCW.
Old February 1, 2018, 02:54 PM   #4
DirtyMax76

At 4 mags than I can load up with 80 rounds. so I should be good.

I have read the rules for carry optics. And I have chosen a place to shoot. Just trying to get other input. Its hard to get an idea of whats going on until you just do it.
Old February 1, 2018, 05:38 PM   #5
BillM

Go and watch a match. Ask questions. I've been shooting USPSA for 17 years, and
I've never met a more helpful or friendly bunch of people. Figure out what's going on and why. Then think about shooting a match.

Ask if they have a mandatory safety training/briefing before you are allowed to compete.
It varies from club to club, but there is usually some pre-match training required. They
may also assign a coach for your first match if you have not done any competitive shooting before.

That first match. Slow and safe. Leave your ego at home-small children and old ladies
are going to whup you bad. Smile and learn from it.
Old February 2, 2018, 01:00 PM   #6
Don P

Quote:
Only for Level III and higher matches (rule 1.2.1.3). Round count for a local match is up to the match director. Good advise has been given. You have enough equipment to get started
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old February 4, 2018, 12:35 PM   #7
BillM

Quote:
Quote:
Only for Level III and higher matches (rule 1.2.1.3). Round count for a local match is up to the match director.
Yup. Around here they pretty much stick to 32 at the Level I matches. We do do a high round count time plus scored match once a year (Crazy Croc Match) that has a minimum of around 48, and usually at least one 60+ stage.
Old February 4, 2018, 12:45 PM   #8
Don P

BillM, Look into the Monster Match( always around Halloween) at Universal Shooting Academy in Frostproof Florida. 60 round stages the norm
Old February 4, 2018, 10:32 PM   #9
1MoreFord

I was lucky when I started shooting IPSC. I knew a guy who actually talked me into trying it and mentored me for a month or two before I shot my first match. As a result I never finished DAL. Audit a match or two and I'll bet someone would do the same for you.
Old February 5, 2018, 12:09 AM   #10
PPGMD

Though match directors are free to do whatever round count they want at lower level matches, most MDs keep it around 32. Sometimes they may go a couple of over, but most respect that limit.

Typically the only time they routinely go over that limit is few pre-announced matches, like USA's Monster Match and others.

I typically like to have on my belt enough for the stage. So for a 32 round stage I will carry 40ish rounds on my belt (32 rounds + a bit extra for the partials that end up on the ground), plus the magazine in the gun.

So based on the typical 140mm magazine that is around 20-24 rounds. I would have one in the gun, and two on the belt. Leaving the spare mag carrier and magazine in your bag. Of course I am approaching this as someone that hits nearly everything I aim at, if you have issues with certain targets having more magazines would be helpful.
Old February 5, 2018, 01:18 AM   #11
BillM

Quote:
BillM, Look into the Monster Match( always around Halloween) at Universal Shooting Academy in Frostproof Florida. 60 round stages the norm
Long way to go for a match. Just turned down a slot to the Open Nationals for that
reason. I do most of my matches West of the Rockies.
Old February 5, 2018, 11:08 AM   #12
PlatinumCore16

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
Go here and read their rules.
https://uspsa.org/rules
Then go here and find a club.
https://uspsa.org/find-a-club
Have a read of this too. There are lots of sites for beginners on-line. A net search for 'uspsa shooting' turns up a bunch of 'em.
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...01-uspsa-ipsc/
It doesn't hurt to have more mags than you need.
You will find that most shooters will bend over backwards to help a new shooter. Just remember that none of the shooting games are even remotely practical and have nothing whatever to do with CCW.
I was under the impression that some of the IPSC matches attempted to keep a level of realism/CCW practicality? Is it one of those things you get out of it what you put in?
Old February 5, 2018, 11:15 AM   #13
Don P

Quote:
Long way to go for a match.
I here that. I live about 3 hours from Frostproof and if we go down for a match it means at least 1 night in a hotel.
Old February 5, 2018, 06:03 PM   #14
PPGMD

Quote:
I was under the impression that some of the IPSC matches attempted to keep a level of realism/CCW practicality? Is it one of those things you get out of it what you put in?
You can shoot USPSA just about anyway you want (IPSC has a few more rules). You want to slice the pie shooting a M&P Shield, go right ahead I saw one dude doing that last week. If you want to run around like a monkey that is on fire that is being chased by ninjas, who are on fire too, you can do so. Other than start position, and safety rules what happens between the timer beep and unload & show clear is entirely up to the shooter.
Old February 8, 2018, 06:53 PM   #15
hodaka

Most of the folks that come out "just to watch" our local matches wishes they would have brought their stuff after the first stage or two. You've got all you need. Jump right in. Most folks are very friendly and helpful.

Tags
canik , uspsa