The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 6, 2017, 02:51 PM   #1
stagpanther

Tactical Solutions Group LPK

I've never written a review of an LPK before--I mean if they're mil-spec they are all the same right?

Well, while waiting for my AR 47 upper to arrive from PSA I figure I'd put the lower together. I've never used TSG before, and they had a complete LPK on sale including a drop-in James Madison Saber modular single stage trigger--$124 for the whole shebang including shipping. I normally like to install adjustable triggers, but figured to keep "parity" with my AK I'd give it a shot.

Lower parts are pretty mundane as a subject--but this kit is noticeably different from any other I've used. Everything seems to fit and operate just a bit smoother and easier than any other LPK I've used before. That means the parts just seemed to fit a bit better, and install was a bit easier--even the roll pins seemed to install more smoothly than I'm accustomed to. Whatever, right?

The James Madison trigger looks like a very robust design, and appears to be a complete custom design--the only downside to that is if something fails or is lost you're not going to be able to swap out other standard trigger parts--but the bomber appearance of the assembly has me thinking that would be a very unlikely scenario. It's rated to break between 3 to 4 pounds--my trigger gauge has it breaking just a hair under 4 lbs most of the time. It only took me a few minutes to install and the fit was absolutely perfect into the anderson lower. A nice added touch was including anti-walk pins.

For a no-hassle quick and easy fit modular trigger, this seems like a vbery good solution; especially for someone just starting out on doing lower builds IMO.

Hre's the Primary Arms ACSS 1 x 6 tactiacal 300BO/7.62 x 39 scope I ordered to ride atop the upper (when it gets here). It's interesting to note that I ordered the scope from PA the same day I ordered the upper from PSA--just as Harvey was hitting Houston and PA posted on their website that they were having their employees stay home to ride out the storm and to expect delays. Nonethe less, their scope has already arrived ahead of the upper---ohhh PSA...where are you.....?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170906_151701_HDR.jpg (114.9 KB, 351 views)
File Type: jpg 20170906_151712_HDR.jpg (89.2 KB, 353 views)
File Type: jpg 20170906_151816_HDR.jpg (74.6 KB, 345 views)

Last edited by stagpanther; September 6, 2017 at 03:45 PM.
Old September 6, 2017, 08:11 PM   #2
rickyrick

The good ole PSA wait. My first AR related purchase lived up to the legendary PSA shipping time. I had no problem because they were up front about the shipping speed. But still... tictoc tictoc lol.
We will all be waiting with you. Again with the LPK, you're our ginny pig to try out the kit. Sounds like a great deal.
Old September 7, 2017, 12:39 AM   #3
stagpanther

I've always liked Jard triggers along with JP's--and Jard has a new non-adjustable model called the JRP and is available with a 3# pull at $65 so that would be a viable alternative for an affordable single stage, though it's not modular and does not come with anti-walk features.

The folks at JM are apparently from aerospace CNC machining backgrounds--it shows in their Saber trigger which is really a marvel of SS precision machining and fit at it's price point (around $100). The roughly 4lb break is precise--but still, 4 lbs is a bit of an impediment in precision shooting, but I think the target market is 3 gun, hunting and mil-spec replacement.