The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old August 10, 2009, 10:20 PM   #1
EricReynolds

Visiting Vermont

I live in NY and have a sportsman permit that doesn't allow me to carry when I'm not working. I hear that Vermont has the most liberal laws in the nation regarding owning and carrying guns, even to non-residents. My question is if I go to Vermont on vacation with my locked unloaded gun in the trunk along the way like I'm required to, can I carry while in Vermont?
Old August 10, 2009, 10:42 PM   #2
CortJestir

It is said that in Vermont, even the democrats have guns.

A fella I helped run a shoot with this past weekend is from VT. From what I gathered from him, you can carry a handgun concealed or open. Long guns in a vehicle must be unloaded and loaded mags or ammo kept separately - this is done, as I understand, to prohibit roadside poaching.

All this, with the usual caveat to check the state's laws for yourself, of course.
Old August 11, 2009, 09:36 AM   #3
NavyLT

Yes. Open or concealed, doesn't matter.
Old August 11, 2009, 09:53 AM   #4
Jim March

There's a deeper misunderstanding here:

Why would you assume the state of Vermont CAN discriminate against US citizens who reside in other states?

I can assure you, constitutionally they cannot. See Ward v. Maryland (1870) and Saenz v. Roe (1999), both US Supreme Court cases.

This is also why Plaxico Burress is likely to get off, because NY hasn't figured this out yet where gun laws are concerned.
Old August 11, 2009, 10:18 AM   #5
Yellowfin

Only problem with that, Jim, is that he's being tried in a NY court. The only thing NY courts care about is persecuting guns nonstop 24/7 without any hesitance. They don't care what the law says unless it's against you, period. All 6 sides of the die say "You Lose." You could cure cancer, AIDS, and global poverty but if you carry a gun you're evil incarnate as far as they're concerned.
Old August 11, 2009, 11:11 AM   #6
Jim March

Except he's got the resources to take it further, and a solid USSC decision that may let him jump over to the Federal district court immediately after a state court conviction under a habeus filing.
Old August 11, 2009, 11:14 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

You know, Plaxico Burress is close to the LAST person I want to hold up as a poster child for gun rights in this country.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 11, 2009, 12:07 PM   #8
CowTowner

Quote:
You know, Plaxico Burress is close to the LAST person I want to hold up as a poster child for gun rights in this country.
No argument Mike, but should he go the route Jim mentioned, things could get interesting in NY.
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old August 11, 2009, 02:14 PM   #9
Jim March

We agree he's an idiot. But does he deserve a felony conviction and multi-year prison sentence?
Old August 11, 2009, 02:18 PM   #10
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

[thread hijack]

Quote:
does he deserve a felony conviction and multi-year prison sentence?
I guess it depends on what you mean by "deserve". Considering that he broke the law, blatantly, and that the suggested sentence is the punishment for breaking said law then yes he does.

Whether or not that law should even exist is sort of neither here nor there for any individual case, the law does exist and so does the punishment.

In the grand scheme, yes, the law is stupid and unconstitutional but it's far from the only one.

Honest people obey the law.

[/thread hijack]

Eric,

Vermont seems to have no restrictions whatsoever. Anyone who can legally own a firearm may carry it. It appears from my reading that "can legally own" means 18 years old and no felony record.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/vermont.pdf

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; August 11, 2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old August 11, 2009, 02:50 PM   #11
brickeyee

Quote:
This is also why Plaxico Burress is likely to get off, because NY hasn't figured this out yet where gun laws are concerned.
NY is applying the same law to him as to every resident of NY.

He will get off because he has $$ and an expensive lawyer.
Old August 11, 2009, 04:20 PM   #12
blume357

Be warned that a few years back when I visited Vermont

even though everyone can open or conceal carry there are places during certain times of the year you can not carry.
Old August 11, 2009, 06:04 PM   #13
macville

Quote:
I guess it depends on what you mean by "deserve". Considering that he broke the law, blatantly, and that the suggested sentence is the punishment for breaking said law then yes he does.
May I point out that Rosa Parks also broke a certain law and we now hail her as a hero. Last time I checked most, if not all, gun laws were unconstitutional. So I don't feel like being very hard on someone who was simply bearing arms.

Matthew
Old August 11, 2009, 06:07 PM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

"May I point out that Rosa Parks also broke a certain law and we now hail her as a hero."

The law she broke was not applied to all citizens of the state of Alabama equally.

Different situation entirely.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 11, 2009, 06:31 PM   #15
armsmaster270

I have CCW'ed in Vermont about 8 different times in the last 5 years and haven't seen any restrictions except when I went into the Prison I had to leave it.
Old August 11, 2009, 06:46 PM   #16
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
So I don't feel like being very hard on someone who was simply bearing arms.
If Plaxico Burress was "simply bearing arms" then I would truly hate to see what you would define and irresponsible and dangerous.
Old August 11, 2009, 08:15 PM   #17
vranasaurus

Isn't he charged with reckless endangerment(or something like that) in addition to the actual gun charge?

Even if the new york possession law were unconstitutional he wouild still be guilty of that.
Old August 11, 2009, 09:08 PM   #18
EricReynolds

If Plaxico Buress gets off, I for one will not see it as a day our freedom is upheld. I would go to jail. He should too. Not because NY gun laws are just, but because we ought not make things just for some. That's not fair at all. He said he thought his expired out of state permit was good here. Ignorance isn't an excuse. This got a little sidetracked. I was inquiring if I going camping in VT, could I carry? Now we're talking about Plaxico.
Old August 11, 2009, 09:23 PM   #19
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Eric,

Check the link I posted above. Vermont seems to have virtually no restriction at all. It appears to me that any non-felon age 18 or over can carry there, open or concealed.

If it were me, I'd probably call VT state police and ask them-just to be safe.
Old August 11, 2009, 09:40 PM   #20
EricReynolds

Thanks Pete
Old August 11, 2009, 11:38 PM   #21
Jim March

Quoting Mike:

Quote:
The law she broke was not applied to all citizens of the state of Alabama equally.

No it's not. New York has chosen to discriminate against US citizens from out of state. They were banned from doing that back in 1870 - cross-border discrimination was the ORIGINAL "protected class".

Quoting Brickeyee:

Quote:
NY is applying the same law to him as to every resident of NY.
You don't have to take my word for it: call any sheriff's office in New York, ask how you can get a NY carry permit while a Florida resident. You can't. Therefore, the law discriminates on the basis of state citizenship.

Finally, as to the negligence thing, the reason he was packing without a holster was to create plausible deniability on the carry charge. The unconstitutional, literally evil law literally written by a madman dying of syphillus created the accidental discharge.
Old August 12, 2009, 09:47 AM   #22
NavyLT

Quote:
"May I point out that Rosa Parks also broke a certain law and we now hail her as a hero."

So, an unconstitutional law is OK so long as it is applied to all persons equally?
Old August 12, 2009, 10:14 AM   #23
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Eric, I'm sorry to see your thread so far off topic. I believe your question was answered, even if you had to sort through the chaff.

Closed for going irretrievably off topic.
Closed Thread