The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 7, 2009, 03:30 PM   #1
Composer_1777

Politicians and gun laws for them?

If you are a Senator, in Congress, or part of the Executive Branch, do you get special gun rights?

Should these people be given special rights in order to defend themselves, due to the high security risk issues?

Maybe if they did carry or were encouraged to carry we could see more liberty in bills instead of oppression?
Old August 7, 2009, 03:33 PM   #2
#18indycolts

I'm ok with not giving them any more special privileges than they already have. Most of whom you speak of have security watching their backs anyway.
Old August 7, 2009, 04:12 PM   #3
a7mmnut

I'm not so sure they would. Just a local State Representative here ran over an old man and woman changing a flat tire on the side of a four-lane highway a few years ago. Her husband came to her aid and pulled over behind her car to assist. The little woman then waited patiently inside her car. This NC bumfuzzle was running an estimated 80-90 mph in his custom Silverado 4wd when he ran off the right shoulder and into the back of the second car, slamming it through the rear of the first car, and pinning the woman inside. She died in the hospital, her husband obviously died upon impact. The front wheels of the pickup rode completely into the interior of the car in the rear. "He fell asleep on the long trip back home", was his excuse, according to the Highway Patrol. Nary a charge was ever filed, and he continued to serve in the House. He'll always be a guilty drunk murderer in my book. Some of us are simply always put above the others.

-7-
Old August 7, 2009, 04:41 PM   #4
Hkmp5sd

Let's see....if I recall correctly, several years back, Ted Kennedy's personal (aka civilian) bodyguard was momentarily arrested on the steps of the Capitol Building with an unregistered machinegun. Charges were dropped.

If I recall correctely, during the Clinton administration, certain members of congress were deemed to be "US Marshalls" so they could carry concealed handguns in Washington DC.

Special gun rights?

NRA Life Member

Last edited by Hkmp5sd; August 7, 2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old August 7, 2009, 04:49 PM   #5
Composer_1777

I'm asking if they do, not saying they should.

I'm asking for opions on the matter because i rarely hear talk of politicians with guns. Last big story was cheney hunting...
Old August 7, 2009, 04:56 PM   #6
Hkmp5sd

Legally, no they do not. They have the same rights as citizens. They do have armed guards from a few different organizations such as the Capitol Police Department, Homeland Security, US Marshalls, DOJ and the Diplomatic Security Service.

A few weeks ago there was a discussion on how Bush (43) could legally keep the Glock 18 that was in the possession of Saddam Hussein when he was captured. Technically he is merely a civilian again.

NRA Life Member
Old August 7, 2009, 05:02 PM   #7
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not really sure about that. Technically, there should be an actual written law that one could find. In reality, I suspect it's largely a wink and a nod if any of them even feels the need. They've got plenty of security that WE pay for during the course of most of their lives.