The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 26, 2006, 04:44 PM   #1
sne7777

Choke Tube for Sporting Clays

I need some advice on which choke tube to use for sporting clays. The first time we shot the course I was using my Wingmaster with a 30" full choke. Did not do very well.
We now have 11-87's with 28" barrels, just need to know the proper tube to use.
The course is in Michigan, Bald Mountain Shooting Range. If anyone has any advise it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old May 26, 2006, 06:09 PM   #2
RUT

I typically start out with I.C. chokes in both barrels (O/U), but also carry a MOD choke as well. There are many situations where a pair will consist of a relatively close target followed by a not-so-close one. This is where an O/U shines, since one can utilize two different chokes for the same pair.

In your case however, you only have one barrel at your disposal, so generally speaking, you should choke for the farthest bird in a pair. I'd still use an I.C. as a default choke, and would carry a MOD (or whatever) for more distant birds, if warranted. Extended chokes will make the changing process a bit faster, but you can get by with flush jobbies if that's your thing.

Good luck,

RUT
Old May 26, 2006, 07:08 PM   #3
kudu

Like RUT said I use an I/C as a default choke on most ranges, but as a reloader I can make different shells perform in different ways. With some soft shot I can make a skeet or cylinder pattern with the I/C choke in, with selected hard or magnum shots I can deliver modified patterns. Granted, it takes some time and patterning board paper, but in the long run you will be a better shotgunner.
Old May 27, 2006, 07:36 AM   #4
RUT

I forgot to mention that I carry both 8's and 9's on a sporting clays course, as some of the targets are truly skeet shots.
Old May 27, 2006, 08:16 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I tend to use one choke and vary the pattern by switching shells. I use a trap style load of 8 1/2s for most stuff, 7 1/2s for long shots and wabbits. Choke is either an IC tube with 8 POC or a Light Mod with 14.

These are in 870s, of course.