Old January 7, 2017, 12:14 PM   #1
xandi

competitively shooting?

Hello
Iv been thinking about trying to shooting competitively
Where do I start
Old January 7, 2017, 12:58 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Hi. You really need to narrow it down some. You thinking of shooting: Handgun? Rifle? Centre fire? Rimfire? All those but air powered? Shotgun? The Shooting Games(IPSC/IDPA/USPSA)? There really is something for everybody.
Best place is at a club that shoots NRA matches(NRA's site has a list) and go to a few. Do not worry about how well you shoot either. Everybody is new at least once and you're competing against yourself. Not the guy who has been doing since before.
The NRA is not the only sponsor though. There's CAS(Cowboy Action), ISS,(Olympic style bullseye), NSSF, CMP, etc., etc. All of which are guaranteed to be fun. You'll meet some great people most of whom will bend over backwards to help a new shooter including lending they rifles.
Old January 7, 2017, 01:08 PM   #3
str8tshot

Pistol:
Steel challenge - Test your speed and target transitions
IDPA - supposed to be more tactical/self defense but new rule changes are questionable. Accuracy first then speed.
USPSA - run and gun. Speed of movement, target acquisitions, trigger control...Speed first then accuracy.
Bullseye - all about accuracy.

I have done all but bullseye, and found them to be great fun. All you need to start is a good pistol, belt, holster, mag carrier, and a few mags.

Multi gun is also a great sport, but requires a bit more kit to get started. 2gun is a blast. An AR and above mentioned pistol parts is a starting point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old January 7, 2017, 01:22 PM   #4
MrBorland

Go here and read:

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...t-here.236788/

Then cross reference the above info against 1) what you might actually be interested in 2) how much of the gear you do and don't currently have for that game, 3) your overall budget and 4) what's available in your area.
Old January 7, 2017, 02:37 PM   #5
Rancid

Nothing on the list interests me. We shoot high power rifles at steel targets and clay pigeons from a stolen park bench while drinking beer. It can get quite challenging.
Old January 7, 2017, 04:29 PM   #6
C7AR15

Trap, Rifle

Shooting at moving targets (a clay Pigeon),Trap shooting is always fun. Join in.

Also our club has Benchrest shooting that has a stock gun division. Its called VFS - Varmint for score.

Don't worry about "Not being good enough", all your fellow competitors ask of you is to be safe.

PS - You are not going to win first time out !! But I find other shooters are very helpful in sharing Load info, techniques, ....

I love shooting in competitions, its a way to keep track of your progress.
Old January 7, 2017, 07:04 PM   #7
g.willikers

A few more:
Rimfire Silhouette while sitting in lawn chairs, as done in Florida.
Turkey shoots for shotguns, life size turkey targets to win a frozen turkey.
Muzzle loader woods walks, be careful where you point that smoke pole.
Shotgun Steel knock down, one of my favorites.
Can also be done with clay birds on sticks.
So many matches, so little time.
Old January 7, 2017, 07:50 PM   #8
iraiam

Service Rifle Matches?

I'm going to try service rifle matches this year, in fact; I just sighted my RRA match A4 in today. I shot multiple sub-moa groups at a poorly lit indoor 100 yard range today.

The lighting made it difficult with NM iron sights, but I was very pleased with the results of the first sight in. Very accurate rifle.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old January 7, 2017, 07:52 PM   #9
xandi

Narrowing
I have a llama 22 pistol a plan jane ar15 and s&w 9mm
What can I do with that?
Old January 8, 2017, 01:10 AM   #10
iraiam

Check your local ranges for Leagues

Some ranges have a target league that will get together regularly for various target competitions. Often a membership is required.

I have also seen ads for a "two gun league", most any semi-auto rifle/pistol combination would qualify.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason

Last edited by iraiam; January 8, 2017 at 01:15 AM.
Old January 8, 2017, 08:40 AM   #11
MrBorland

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandi
I have a llama 22 pistol a plan jane ar15 and s&w 9mm
What can I do with that?
I'm sure there are other options, but off the top of my head...

You can shoot rimfire steel challenge with your .22. Clubs that host bullseye matches would likely let you shoot as much of the match with your .22 as you wanted.

You could shoot your AR in NRA/CMP High Power rifle matches. Even if your rifle isn't spec'd to HP specs, they'll most likely let you shoot a local match.

With your 9mm, you can shoot IDPA & USPSA matches. You'd also likely be allowed to shoot a local bullseye match with it, but keep in mind it's not really a target pistol.

One recommendation I would pass on though, is to put off participating in a multi-gun match until you have some experience with a single gun. Since multi-gun matches are typically of the runNgun format, I'd strongly recommend shooting (1-gun) IDPA and/or USPSA matches until you're reasonably proficient & comfy with that format.
Old January 8, 2017, 08:42 AM   #12
g.willikers

xandi,
Your .22 is good for the rimfire division of Steel Challenge.
Also for local Bullseye matches.
The 9mm for IDPA or USPSA production divisions.
Your AR for local so called combat rifle matches.
Also for CMP service rifle matches.
Should keep you busy.
Oops, Mr. Borland beat me to it.
Old January 9, 2017, 02:09 PM   #13
TJB101

Just looked one of my local clubs that offers USPSA matches. Membership is closed and waiting list is closed ... waiting list has over 650 folks waiting to join.

Watched a few videos on USPSA events ... looks like a ton of fun
Old January 9, 2017, 06:48 PM   #14
MrBorland

Though it might be held at a private venue (with a waiting list), the match itself is likely open to all. That's how it normally works, IME. Call them to be sure.
Old January 10, 2017, 10:51 AM   #15
g.willikers

^^^
Yessir,
The host club membership situation shouldn't affect the match registration.
I never ran across any match where it did.
One has nothing to do with the other.
The club facility is usually run by different folks than the matches.
Just show up for the match in time to sign up before the start.
The worse that will happen is you will watch and learn even if you don't actually participate.
Lots of new folks do that anyway.
Old January 11, 2017, 12:15 AM   #16
iraiam

+1, You should be able to shoot in a USPSA match without becoming a member of a range.

The membership usually comes in to play with a league night at a range. I have seen it in the past, where a range has monthly/quarterly competitive shoots for members, They may also have times when the range may be closed to the public for instructional classes or other functions that members have purchased.

Old January 11, 2017, 01:11 AM   #17
Jim Watson

I am not sure about USPSA, but IDPA affiliated clubs must offer open matches. They may charge extra to non-members, I get to a range once a month that charges non-members $12 instead of $10. Nobody around here is extortionate about it.
Old October 17, 2017, 06:52 PM   #18
otasan

My 1st shooting match was a 1978 RI bowling pin match. Still doing it almost 40 years later. My next bowling pin match is in two Saturdays (28Oct2017)
Old October 17, 2017, 07:28 PM   #19
Troy800

Check out your local gun range. The ranges in my area do not require you to be a member to shoot in events. Even the private range I belong to opens events to the public. Might start off with small event to see what you like.

One thing about the range is most all the shooters there love to talk about guns and show them off. Many will let you try there guns. I have went to several ranges only to find out they are having a compitition and the range was closed for open shoot. Locals often offered to let me borrow one of there pistols for the shoot.

Shoot what you have. I take service weapons to compititions. Dont need a race gun to have fun.

Try Steel Challenge with your 22 or 9mm. Normally need 5 magazines but ranges around me allows new shooters to reload during rounds to try it out.

Try IDPA or some local Practical Pistol or bowling pin shoots with the 9mm

For the AR look for Service Weapon shoots or 2 gun.

You will need a holster for the 9mm and a pistol pouch for the 22. One that has good retention and covers the trigger. Dont need a high end holster but avoid universal holsters. You can get some good Kydex holster to fit your pistol for a reasonable price.
Old October 17, 2017, 08:20 PM   #20
9x45

You start at your nearest to you competition match, even if it's at local non-sanctioned match. You may shoot USPSA matches forever without becoming a member, but not IDPA (sanctioned clubs require membership after the 1st match). Call the match director, tell him you are new, and ask if they require a training class before your first match. Bring what gun and gear you have, and jump in. GSSF is a really good start, you must have a Glock, as all stages are from the low ready. Steel Challenge is next best, especially with a .22LR, as it's from the low ready also. There are no reloads in Steel Challenge, each string is only 5 rounds... Clean.