The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 10, 2002, 04:23 AM   #1
Blast

S&B 12ga 00buck

Is it any good? 12 pellet - max charge, will it kick the smile from your face? How will it do from a 20'' imp cyl?
Old August 10, 2002, 08:39 AM   #2
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

It'll likely do "good enough" within 15 yards - maybe less.

Only way to be sure is to shoot it at various ranges & count the pellet hits for a certain size area - in your barrel & choke.
Old August 10, 2002, 08:41 AM   #3
dfaugh

I use

The 3" magnum S&B--15 pellets on 20" Mossberg, cylinder bore, "Special Purpose" with folding stock...Not only will it kick the smile from your face, it'll knock your A$$ into the next county...This is the biggest wack I get from any of my guns, including milsurps w/ metal buttplates...However, It spread out nicely from this gun(18"-24" pattern at about 30'), and (minimal, 'cause it HURTS) testing says it'll make hamburger outa anything gets in its way...Figure a total of 105 .32 caliber projectiles (7 x 15) will handle pretty much any HD scenario, or at least allow me time to retrieve even more firepower

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old August 11, 2002, 12:57 AM   #4
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

My only point is = you have to shoot it in what you have.

If it patterns to your expected use = you have a dandy load. If it doesn't (likely), you'll have to "exchange your views" a bit towards reality. Seldom have I ever run across a load that meets the expectation of a "00 buck load to kill everything within 50 yards," is all.

Doesn't & will not happen.

Shoot the thing & see what it does for patterns. If it does everything you want within your range (barrel & choke) expectation, I'd buy a case-load.

If it doesn't, I'd try a few others till I got something that lived up to my expectations. Most never find "that Holy Load" in buck-shot 'cause it doesn't exist. There's only the best blend you can have for what you want to do ....

Anybody's got a 50-yard 00 buckshot load that "patterns to beat ll," well, I'm willing to ,1) see it in person & 2) buy 'em a glass of their choice.

I've yet to see it .... (may be quite willing to go this whole bet at 25 yards .... buckshot prettyu much sucks past 20 yards ....
Old August 11, 2002, 02:21 AM   #5
DML

Labgrade:

Don't bet your shirt on it. There a number of Vang Comped barrels out there that will do amazing things. It's luck of the draw, but some of the Gunsite instructors have VCS modified barrels that shoot pattern so small at 25 yards that I won't write them here for fear of being called a liar. i have talked to reliable people who regularly bowl over coyotes at 50 yards with a VCS barrel and Federal Tactical 00 (H-132 or LE-132). I have personally watched a Banff Park warden shoot at 18X24 sheets of paper at 50 meters with a VCS barrel a Federal Premium 00 and keep all 9 pellets on the paper with 6 well within the outline of a man.

Some of the new shells available will give amazing performance at ranges never thought possible with a shotgun loaded with buckshot. Hornady TAP ammo comes to mind and a company named SHOT had some really neat stuff.

I agree that none of these shells will kill "everything" within 50 yards, but they will do some serious damage.
Old August 11, 2002, 04:05 PM   #6
Smokin Guns

"S&B 00"

With the 870 or 590 it will kick you hard at the shoulder, shoot from the hip! The S&B 00 Ammo is sitting at the base of the stock.

Old August 11, 2002, 08:46 PM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've witnessed a Vangcomp put ALL 9 pellets from a 3" 00 buck load into the chest area of a mansized target at 75 yards.

They can be rather amazing.

I've got quite a bit of the S&B 12-shot 2 3/4" buckshot. It kicks, but it's bearable.

My house ammo is, however, Remington No. 4 buck, but 5 rounds of the S&B ride in a carrier on the buttstock.

Don't shoot from the hip unless you really like missing a lot.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old August 11, 2002, 09:05 PM   #8
Oleg Volk
Staff Alumnus

Patterns poorly from some SGs, well from others. Kick isn't bad, a push rather than a shove. Won't fit box magazines designed for 2 3/4" shells.
Old August 11, 2002, 10:16 PM   #9
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

I'll defer to those who know more than I do about the Van Camps - & stand corrected. Just made me think of the "card guns" which I though an impossibility too .... live & learn.

I do thank you for the correction, guys.

I should have stated that "with a no-VanCamp" shotgun you'd be hard=pressed ... yada. Buck's an outstandig choice for somethings, but I'd dare say that most think it'll do a lot more & further out than it really does - unless ...

Best bet though is to shoot the stuff at various ranges & see what it does. Without that, I'd say you're only guessing.
Old August 11, 2002, 10:51 PM   #10
Bruce626

One can luck out once in a while

I run a low-budget Mossberg 500 pump 18" bbl synthetic everything sidesaddled SG... much to my amazement, my cheap @ss gun loves cheap-@ass ammo, i.e., the Estate SWAT 00 Buck... patterns extremely well, lower recoil, minimal bucks. Sometimes life is good.
Old August 11, 2002, 11:11 PM   #11
Dave R

I don't like it, because it does not use a shot cup to contain the shot as it goes down your bore. Those lead pellets just rub against your barrel and leave nasty looking lead streaks that are difficult to remove. And based on the size of those lead streaks (in my 870, anyway) the pellets are getting deformed pretty badly. Which probably explains why it doesn't group well in my shotgun.

Your gun might like it, but mine does not.
Old August 12, 2002, 12:26 AM   #12
Bruce626

Dave R:

One common thread on this forum is how shotguns vary in their performance with ammo X or ammo Y.

My point is simply that one particular gun likes one particular brand of ammo (as discussed widely) and that I'm glad mine doesn't insist on the world's most expensive ammo.

The rest of your comment strikes me as more of a cleaning problem than a shooting problem, given that mine puts all of the pellets about where they should go.
Old August 12, 2002, 10:11 AM   #13
Mike Irwin
Staff

Labgrade,

Van Camps is a frozen fish company. I don't think you'd get very good patterns shooting smelts out of your 12 gauge.

Old August 12, 2002, 12:06 PM   #14
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Wouldn't the little ones act like those flechette rounds ...

Still have to pattern though.
Old August 12, 2002, 03:03 PM   #15
dfaugh

Err..OK

I don't WANT tight patterns with a HD shotgun...IMO, one of the advantages of the shotgun, (and the S&B with no shot cup) is that it spreads out, thereby lessening my need to aim accurately under stress...Figure even 2 or 3 00 pellets in a BG is sumthin'...
Am I stupid, or what? Missing something?

Old August 12, 2002, 03:16 PM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

"Am I missing something"

Yeah, at standard household ranges the shot pattern isn't going to spread much at all.

You're going to need to be on target.

Old August 12, 2002, 04:00 PM   #17
Bruce626

Spread Wanted...

One of the advertised features of the Federal Personal Defense shotshell is that it is specifically designed to spread out more quickly.

When I patterned this load in my cylinder bore 18.5 in bbl M500, I did an un-scientific comparison with regular birdshot, but I did not have an exactly "similar" load in terms of shot size. The Federal PD is a #2 birdshot reduced recoil load and it did appear to spread a couple of inches wider than the #7.5 birdshot (target load) did at about 20 feet.

I didn't try anything closer to the target, but at some point they'd both just punch a fist-sized hole in the paper.
Old August 12, 2002, 04:58 PM   #18
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Bruce, here's some data from one of my tests "upclose and personal"..

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...97#post1082197
Old August 14, 2002, 07:46 AM   #19
dfaugh

Mike I.

Yeah, but my HD situation is a bit different...Very large house, sveral hundre feet to next houses...and, without alot of explanation, I could, righteously, be engaging targets out to 75 yards...I know that at really short ranges, anything coming out of a shotgun is gonna act like one big slug, and I need to be on target (but hell, with those magnum S&B rounds the muzzle blast could be lethal!)...But because I could easily be engaging at much longer distances, I'd rather have a nice "spread" to potentially increase my "hit ratio"...hence the 00 buck which will still be carrying more energy than something lighter