The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 20, 2017, 07:38 PM   #1
Tom68

Changing Sights on BHP Mk II

I have a surplus Mk II that is a real sow's ear and I want to upgrade the sights (the rear sight literally looks as if it were used as a hammer at some point).

The rear sight appears to have been dovetailed into the slide, although it's difficult to tell if it can be pushed out successfully. The dovetail doesn't appear to be damaged though. The front sight appears to be machined as part of the slide; the top of the slide was machined away leaving only the Mk II rib and front sight? it sure doesn't appear to be staked in--no indications from inside the slide.

presuming I can get the rear sight removed successfully, and cut a new dovetail to accept an aftermarket sight... what implications do I have regarding the front sight? right now, the pistol shoots very near POA, but if I replaced only the rear sight, I would stand a very good chance of not properly aligning with the front sight and messing up a relatively good thing.

I am not a gunsmith, I'm just looking for suggestions for how to address getting this work done. I suppose one COA would be to machine away the front sight and cut a dovetail for a new blade? one more thing, I intend to do this as part of a refinishing job--nothing fancy, just a matte black to replace the Hershey's bar finish of which about 70% remains. thoughts?
Old November 21, 2017, 03:57 AM   #2
Old Stony

Removing the rear sight should not be a big problem, and the dovetail should not present a problem for you to install a new sight. There are lots of options as far as rear sights, and if you decide to have a dovetail cut for the front, there will be a lot of options there too. If you go to the website for Dawson's Precision sights, you can see some of the options they offer. If your front sight is serviceable, you can have Dawson's provide you with a rear sight in the same height as your current rear and you're in business.
Old November 23, 2017, 10:23 AM   #3
Tom68

I really would prefer a set, which means an exact match or removing the front altogether. The latter seems like it would be pretty labor intensive.... And expensive, no?
Old November 23, 2017, 02:12 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Assorted smithies(Cylinder and Slide, Freedom Gunworks Inc., et al) have been doing it for eons. Requires a dovetail cut for the front.
Freedom Gunworks wants $30 to cut the dovetail plus the cost of the sight. So it's not as horribly expensive as you'd think.