The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 15, 2018, 06:23 PM   #1
reynolds357

Savage Q.C.

I am a Savage fan. I have bought Savages since they were the "cheap guns with the ugly nut." I bought my son a new Axis last week. The trigger just felt wrong. Sloppy, very light(compared to what it should be) and a pile of over travel. I took it apart and decided to adjust it. I dug the yellow glue off the weight adjustment set screw. Instead of uncovering a set screw, my pick dug the spring out. They neglected to even put the set screw in. Just a spring packed full of glue. As paranoid as mfgs are about triggers, they let this get out of the factory??? I fixed it the way they should do it in the first place. (3/4" 10-24 set screw and a different spring.
Old December 16, 2018, 06:13 AM   #2
LilHog

Lucky you found the problem and fixed it safely, it should have never left the factory like that. I just bought a new trophy hunter 11 last month and it is fine, no issues with it. I've bought many savages over the years and I've never had a problem. Maybe a bad one slips out occasionally and it just happened to find it's way to you. Almost every manufacturer these days is trying to do more with less, cutting costs and quality suffers. It's everywhere you go in everything you see, it's sad at best.
Old December 16, 2018, 09:28 AM   #3
GarandTd

Did you contact Savage? While you may be gun savvy enough to catch the problem and repair it yourself, there are many that aren't. It may have been an isolated incident or it could have been an entire run of rifles. If you haven't already, a "heads-up" email to Savage might be a good idea.
Old December 16, 2018, 02:00 PM   #4
godale

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarandTd View Post
Did you contact Savage? While you may be gun savvy enough to catch the problem and repair it yourself, there are many that aren't. It may have been an isolated incident or it could have been an entire run of rifles. If you haven't already, a "heads-up" email to Savage might be a good idea.

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 16, 2018, 02:47 PM   #5
RC20

I would contact Savage. Keep in mind they are in some degree of upset as they are being auctioned off. It may also be affecting the employees (having been through that its not a pleasant experience)

But keep in mind, they want the whole gun back to fix that problem. I think you even pay shipping (though you may be able to deal with the store you bought it from)

Years back I had a pretty high quality AR that came in with the Gas Block screw not set (took a bit to figure that one out as it was not obvious)

Yes I fixed it myself, yes it was ho hum by RRA that it was loose.
Old December 16, 2018, 03:40 PM   #6
reynolds357

I will shoot them an email when I submit the rebate application.
Old December 16, 2018, 03:43 PM   #7
reynolds357

Quote:
But keep in mind, they want the whole gun back to fix that problem. I think you even pay shipping (though you may be able to deal with the store you bought it from)
Its already fixed. I have never sent anything to Savage for warranty work. I have sent rifles to Ruger and S&W. Both of them paid freight both ways.