The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old December 10, 2013, 07:03 PM   #51
Paul B.

I'm going to take this slightly OT for a minute. I'm 75 Y.O. and I cast my first bullet at 16 Y.O. Forseveral years before I went into the service I worked for a company that made cast bullets. Back then it was done the old fashioned way. W humans ere the bulet casting machies two 4 cavity molds at a time. Our shop was a single 10'x15" unventilated room. We worked, drank out sodas, smoked and ate lunch into the tiny room. I also was casting for myself at home in an unventilated garage. After military service I continued to fed my gun those lead bullets. A few years back because of all the BS concerning lead (Thou protesteth too much oh EPA/ecofreak naysayers) that I first had a lead level blood serum test plus a full blown heavy metals test where you end up urinating in a tube and send it to a lab. The results came back and it seems with all the no nos I did while working with lead all those years, my bodily level level was lower than the current acceptable standard. FWIW, the acceptable standard for a person of my age is higher that what its acceptable for those born after the new standard. You'll have to forgive me though as I don't remember when the standard changed, sometime in the late 60's I think, possibly early 70's.
Don't misunderstand me. I'm not saying lead is good for you. Of course it isn't. What I am saying is the donnybrook over dumping a couple of pounds of tumbling media over a leach bed insn't any big deal compared to all the industrial wastes that still get illegally dumped every day. However, Big Brother doesn't bother them to often unless they ge blatent. After all, money talks and BS walks and we little people are not the ones with the money.
I'm guessing that if all the toxic material in my tumbling media that I've dumped in the last ten years produce a half teaspoon full, I'd be seriously surprised. I do not apologize for being politically incorrect. I just get tired of all the PCBS.
Paul B.
Old December 10, 2013, 09:30 PM   #52
jcwit

Quote:
The "air filtration" systems were only ventilation fans, to remove smoke from the shooting area. Actual filtration systems didn't come into use until recently and only from "environmental advocates" continuing/adding fuel to the "evil lead" hysteria...
Oh, OK, That's why we have heavy duty filters that are changed monthly, and it has been this way for decades.

And yet we still have members being treated for high lead levels.

You sir have no idea when or what kind of filtration system or when it was installed or why it was installed.
Old December 10, 2013, 09:36 PM   #53
jcwit

Quote:
I'm going to take this slightly OT for a minute. I'm 75 Y.O. and I cast my first bullet at 16 Y.O.
Huge, huge difference between a 16 year old casting elemental lead, and a young child playing in a yard where tumbling media containing lead oxides and lead particulate has been disposed of on the yard.

Once again, if it's so safe, why the fear of having the young ones tested. Once they are tested then and only then do you know whereof you speak, till then it is only supposition.

Once again, what is the safe level for young developing children? "0"
Old December 11, 2013, 12:03 PM   #54
BigD_in_FL

Just bag it up and let it go to the landfill
Old December 11, 2013, 12:18 PM   #55
mikld

Me thinks he doth protest too much. I'm beginning to think Mr. jcwit is arguing just for the sake of arguing, and will argue if you say black, he'll say white...
Old December 11, 2013, 01:57 PM   #56
jcwit

You thinks wrong!

Nothing wrong with disposing of used media in a proper manner. Bagging it, putting it in a used paint can and putting it in the trash etc., etc., very responsible and the way to do it.

Tossing/spreading it out on the lawn where kids play, not very responsible at all, particularly if the youngsters are young.

And again if you or anyone else is so sure its so safe, what's the problem with having a test done, then you know, instead of just speculating.

From your post #12

Quote:
I'd say that's taking thing a bit too far. Analyze a sample for content and calculate the amount of lead in 2 lbs. of used tumbling media. Prolly a bunch of carbon (relatively), and mebbe some heavy metals, and lots of other compounds, but I'd think the amount of lead would be miniscule...
So here you say "I Quote" ''I'd think the amount of lead would be miniscule,"

Which shows you do not know, you are only speculating.

Last edited by jcwit; December 11, 2013 at 02:05 PM.
Old December 11, 2013, 02:22 PM   #57
Marco Califo

Time to dispose of this thread

Even NuFinish won't help.
Old December 11, 2013, 02:57 PM   #58
Metal god

Putting it in a bag / paint can or both does nothing to make it better or legal depending on where you live . The can / bag wil almost emidately break open when in the land fill if not the second the garbage truck compacts it . The reason you can throw paint away like that is it must be dried out first and that's no different then throwing away something with paint on it .

I'm not saying its bad just not really doing anything

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 11, 2013, 06:26 PM   #59
Old 454

JCWit,

I noticed you are from Indiana.

I am also from Indiana and live in the NW part of the state Grew up in Hessville and that is part of Hammond.

In hammond there Is (was) a ton of industry, namely all the steel mills in Gary, I lived down the street from a place called Hammond Lead that made powdered lead products, Kyle Chemical was in North Hammond along with BP AMMICO( formily Sinclair then just AMMICO) and Lever Brothers, The there is also the Mazo plant in Whiting Ind. This list could go on and on.

The point being that there is more out there in Indiana that is in the air, ground water and dirt then what most people would care to know about.

Throwing some old tumbling media out into the back yard and worrying about it is plain silly

If you are really worried about corn cob media don't use it and go with a Thumblers Tumbler and use stainless steel media, make your self a french drain in the back yard line it with pea gravel and lime and pour the liquids from the thumblers down the french drain.
Old December 11, 2013, 06:57 PM   #60
jcwit

Quote:
Throwing some old tumbling media out into the back yard and worrying about it is plain silly
So tossing out more hazardous material out is just plain silly? When should we stop? Would you rather we return to the way it used to be when the Hudson river could burn?

Furthermore its in a yard where children play, so its still silly?

Your logic is truly amazing and falls far short.

Note those slated or are cleaned up.

http://www.epa.gov/Region5/cleanup/#IN

Some of you folks REALLY need to do even small studies as to the harmful effects of lead to children. Why not tumble your brass with the tumbler lid off in your kitchen, and eat off the dusty plates? Sounds like a good way to go.

Last edited by jcwit; December 11, 2013 at 07:06 PM.
Old December 11, 2013, 07:13 PM   #61
jcwit

Quote:
If you are really worried about corn cob media don't use it
I'm not "worried" about my use of corn cob in a tumbler, been doing it for over 30 years, but I had and have enough sense to keep it away from where my grandkids and future great grandkids will play when they come to visit.
Old December 11, 2013, 10:23 PM   #62
Unclenick
Staff

Time to let it go.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Closed Thread