The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 14, 2007, 10:48 PM   #26
gedenke

Capp, WOW! That last one is absolutely amazing! (please PM me the location, a simple gps position will do just fine, he he he) Great pics!
Old November 15, 2007, 12:24 PM   #27
davlandrum

Apparently, I don't know where to hunt in my own state!!!!!!!!

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 15, 2007, 01:46 PM   #28
NRA4life

Here's mine for the year. Took him on the third afternoon (Monday of this week) of the Missouri rifle season. My best whitetail for sure. Added 2 does on the opening day also. It was just my dad and I on Monday and we had horrible rain and thunderstorms rolling through. We were just about to give up for the day when it let up about 3:45. We decided to go out to the 2 closest stands so we could get back to camp if the weather went sour. I was out on my stand 9 minutes when this old boy trotted by in the field at about 60 yards or so. What an afternoon.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN0786.JPG (81.9 KB, 97 views)
Old November 15, 2007, 09:10 PM   #29
gedenke

Ok, last one, I promise....

Here's the rack after my taxidermist got ahold of it. Gibson's Taxidermy in White City, OR. He does good work, especially on birds and head mounts.

Old November 16, 2007, 09:04 PM   #30
Sarge

'Romeo & Juliet'

Remington Model 78, .30-06, 150 Nosler BT handload clocks 2944 fps. Neck shot at shoulder, 212 yards as near as I can tell-DRT. 8 point MO Whitetail.

PS- the 'Romeo' reference is due to the fact that this guy and another buck go so involved in chasing the ladies, that it resulted in in him ending up across my tailgate. Better 'across the tailgate' than 'through the grille'.

Last edited by Sarge; November 17, 2007 at 10:47 AM. Reason: clarity
Old November 17, 2007, 02:00 PM   #31
nickE10mm

Dad's 9pt in Mark Twain Nat'l Forest (Ozarks, SW Missouri)

Old November 17, 2007, 09:13 PM   #32
FirstFreedom

Nice job, Nick!

I'm gonna define today's hunt as a success. I saw three deer, and one was a 6-pointer I passed up - about like that one or a little smaller - he came right up to within 6 or 7 yards of me, in response to my doe bleat call, and stared at me. I'll let him grow some, and try to get him in a couple years. Oh, get this - there IS a big bruiser somewhere on my hunting lands - I saw the rub to end all rubs on the base of a large cottonwood tree. Kinda cool - never seen a rub that large before.
Old November 17, 2007, 11:35 PM   #33
lil_bro

I got my first during the youth season here in Oklahoma.

(not a very good pic)

He was a 8-point buck that weigh in at 176lbs undressed.

He was shot with my Yugo 24/47 Mauser using Wolf Gold SP ammo at 12yds.

Now I just need to fill my doe tag.
Old November 18, 2007, 12:48 PM   #34
FirstFreedom

That's a very nice buck, lilbro - 176 lbs undressed - that's pretty big - what % do you subtract to arrive at dressed weight? I've heard 40% for the weight of the guts, but that seems too high to me.
Old November 18, 2007, 08:53 PM   #35
gedenke

Way to go lil bro! That's a nice one, especially for your first. Congrats!

As for the dressed weight, my butcher said "add" 40% for the guts, hide, and head, but that's thinking in reverse (mine was weighed after field dressing/skinning). But of course that's just an estimate. My 2 cents.
Old November 18, 2007, 10:12 PM   #36
BILLDAVE

8-pointer

I shot this eight pointer on Saturday morning about seven-thirty. It was taken in Fulton Co. Illinois with a Colt Single Action in .45 long caliber. I'm gussing he was between 180 amd 200 lbs. The rack is nice, but small for his weight. Not bad if I say so myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8-pointer and me 2007.jpg (18.5 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg 8-pointer and Colt .45.jpg (19.4 KB, 77 views)
Old November 18, 2007, 11:10 PM   #37
Rembrandt

Sorry nothing yet....been bow hunting for over a week and haven't been able to get close enough to the two I'd want, passed on all the rest. Seen over twenty five different bucks so far. Best year for bucks in years. These are the ones we're passing on to grow another year or two. My son took the one in the last photo. We'll put a couple of doe's in the freezer later for meat.

Old November 18, 2007, 11:13 PM   #38
Rembrandt

....and a few more.....

Old November 19, 2007, 12:16 AM   #39
lil_bro

Thanks guys, one of these days when I get time I will write up the whole story.

As for the dressed weight I've been figuring around 40% of the undressed weight.

One of these days I'm going to order a game scale and eliminate the guess work.

Now I just gota go fire up the BBQ.
Old November 19, 2007, 11:37 AM   #40
tyrajam

Well, I've shot 2 does so far with my bow. gun season opened here in Indiana Saturday, but Ididn't get to hunt because my basketball team (I coach) had a tournament. I've got a few nice bucks I've seen bowhunting that didn't come in range that I'm hoping to get now that gun season is here. Hopefully I'll get a nice one posted soon...

Heres a pic of a doe I shot and another pic of a buck we got on our trailcam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg first bow kill.jpg (99.6 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg big buck.jpg (129.8 KB, 111 views)

Last edited by tyrajam; November 19, 2007 at 11:38 AM. Reason: spelling!
Old November 20, 2007, 09:23 AM   #41
Kentucky Deer Hunter

tyrajam - Looks like they grow 'em big in Indiana. My wifes family lives in Indiana, hmm....

Imagine if every outdoorsman taught the sport to 2 young people -----> What are you doing to save our sport?
Old November 20, 2007, 12:04 PM   #42
davlandrum

Almost makes me want to pack up and move again to get back to a state where I could take more than 1 deer a year and hunt more than one season!!!!!

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old November 20, 2007, 12:27 PM   #43
FirstFreedom

What kind of restrictive rules do they have up there anyways.... yeah, Oregoners, when Capp reveals that location, holler at me and I'll come up and he'p you hunt em. And I thought blacktails were little cute deer. Great googily-moogily!
Old November 20, 2007, 12:36 PM   #44
davlandrum

FF - Rules for Oregon - 1 deer tag per year - can only hunt one season. One elk tag per year, must chose season.

So If I decide to bowhunt deer, and do not get one, I can not go during rifle season and fill that tag.

That is why I usually bow hunt elk - because I love it, and rifle hunt deer, because the freezer needs stocking. Some day I am going to get my elk (fill the freezer) and be able to hold out for a big deer instead of putting the first legal deer down to make sure we get meat.

There are chances to get an extra tag in some units, but I have not been successful in getting drawn for one.

Old November 20, 2007, 04:42 PM   #45
gedenke

Rembrandt / Tyra, those are some great live shots! And Remb, looks like you've got yourself a great place to hunt, I admire your patience in passing up some nice bucks. Is that private land? I'm guessing it's your property or someone you know. Good luck with your hunts!
Old November 20, 2007, 06:22 PM   #46
SavageSniper

Quote:
Almost makes me want to pack up and move again to get back to a state where I could take more than 1 deer a year and hunt more than one season!!!!!
At the end of the first week, I have killed 3. One doe and two spikes. Very nice bag limits here in the Sunshine state
Old November 20, 2007, 09:52 PM   #47
ZeroJunk

Rembrandt, what are you taking the pictures with? I took this on a little buck this afternoon at about 50 yards and you can hardly tell it is a deer.It's like find the deer in a child's book.All I have is a 4X optical zoom.It would be fun to take some pictures,but last time I checked before digital, a lense would have been $1000.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0198.JPG (114.4 KB, 70 views)
Old November 20, 2007, 10:16 PM   #48
MeekAndMild

WOW! Congrads all you successful buck hunters (and photographers too!) I talked to my neighbor yesterday and he told me that he's gotten some nice pics on his deer cam. All I've seen have been does; I got a nice doe today and spent some time tracking her; even with a 45/70 bullet through the rib cage she ran quite a distance. It was amazing that there was no blood at all for the first 30 yards, then a sprinkle or two. But when I loaded her into the pickup truck all the rest came out. So much for blood trails.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old November 20, 2007, 11:28 PM   #49
Rembrandt

Have a little farm in southern Iowa that all the photos were taken. Population is out of control right now, critters ate about 500 bushels of corn or about $2000 in damages. Combine yield monitor showed all the damage was in the outside 20 rows. Beans didn't take quite as bad a hit.

Camera is Canon Rebel EOS digital with 300mm lens. Taking pictures of deer is almost as much fun as hunting them. I know of a couple of big ones out there that make it difficult to settle for anything less. Got about another 40 days to hunt before the season ends. Here's a few more....

Old November 21, 2007, 07:43 AM   #50
ZeroJunk

Thanks Rembrandt. The 300 MM Canon is doing a fantastic job. We have the same problem on deer population.Unfortunately, about 160 inches is as big as they get around here. I have had 14 little bucks within 50 yards of me in the last 10 days.Ten were probably yearlings. One was maybe 120-130, just not quite big enough. I would like to have had a good picture of him.