The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 17, 2006, 11:33 AM   #51
brickeyee

The barrel feet will now be correctly riding on the stop pin and wil cme to a consistent position.
The lugs are not supposed to ever 'top out' in the slide. This will just cause a jamb and break a link very quickly (and if frced enough bend the slide stop pin).
Vertical position is not controlled by the slide, you just have to have enough lug engagement to take the load produced when fired.
The vertical battery is controlled by the barrel feet.
Old June 17, 2006, 11:47 AM   #52
lubaloy

So......you are saying Nowlin, Barsto, Kart, Miller and Kuhnhausen are all wrong?
I've got to wonder, where did you get your info?
Do you work as a gunsmith?
Old June 17, 2006, 09:42 PM   #53
brickeyee

I think Kuhnhausen says exactly the same thing I am saying.
Riding the link and not having the barrel feet produce teh vertical lockup has always been seen as incorrect.
Before the ready availability of aftermarket barrels with oversized feet we used to weld them up and then cut them back using a small milling cutter riding in the slide stop holes. The jig is available from Brownells now, but for many years they had to be made.
Guess you think all the years of welding and the now oversized barel feet are not required?
Old June 18, 2006, 06:53 AM   #54
Iron bottom

Had me going, Brick. You said the lugs should never top out in the slide. I now think you were saying the lugs should never top out in the slide by riding a long link. Rather the barrel feet and slide stop pin should provide the vertical lock up. When I fit the barrel feet, they will lift the barrel up as far as the lugs will allow, and also lift the slide to remove any play in the rails while in battery. Then I measure for the correct link size. Right or wrong? What say you guys?
Old June 18, 2006, 11:24 AM   #55
lubaloy

Iron Bottom,
I agree with you 100%.

I DO NOT agree with the following:

"If there is enough depth on the lugs to shorten the link, and then cut the barrel feet again, you can improve the vertical lockup."

"The lugs are not supposed to ever 'top out' in the slide."

"Vertical position is not controlled by the slide,"

I do not see how removing even more material from the lower lugs will improve lock-up.
Also, if a shorter link is fitted in an attempt to 'improve' lock-up, the rear travel of the barrel may be stopped by the link instead of the vertical impact surface of the frame. This is what will break links.
A good technical discussion of this can be found at:
www.scheumann.com
Old June 18, 2006, 08:35 PM   #56
brickeyee

If the lugs top out in the slide (go to zero clearance) the oddds of things operating correctly for any length of time are pretty darn small.
The barrel feet are cut to ensure enough lug engagement for safety (80-90% is good enough).
It would take an awful bad setup to have the lug stop the downward travel of the barrel before it hits the frame.
I see more broken links from cheap links (punched out not machined) and too much length being used.
The barrel strikes the slide as it rises and the load is transfered to the link and the slide stop cross pin as the link swings over vertical.
Many stock guns have enough play in the sldie frame vertically to allow the slide to bump up nad over the lug, but they seem, to break pretty quickly from the extra beating.
Old June 18, 2006, 10:45 PM   #57
lubaloy

Well..................
your experiences and techniques certainly differ from mine.
Maybe we are from different parts of the country?
Shall we just agree to disagree?