The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 25, 2010, 07:45 PM   #1
dreamweaver

"smoothing" a sig p238?

the sig has a width of 1.11" and a very blocky slide with alot of sharp edges.
the slide is stainless. i want to radius all the edges on the slide and smooth the sights as well.
I'm guessing doing it by hand would be the best, but was wondering about machining it. could a metal cutting bit be mounted in a shaper/router table to get a finish cut?
I'm planning a 3/16" radius
thanks!

Old January 25, 2010, 08:07 PM   #2
Bigjim3

Ive done a few colt mustangs and ponys. Just using files and some sand paper to smooth out the file marks. Bead blasted and duracoat You can go with a light dehorn or really slim it down including the slide release and mag release. All up to the craftsman.
Jesus according to Luke:22:36: Then said he unto them, ,,,,,, and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one......... Thomas Jefferson: "No man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."
Old January 25, 2010, 11:34 PM   #3
dreamweaver

thanks jim,
do you scribe lines for width of the radius and file to the line, or just eye ball it?
I actually like blasting with aluminum oxide and finish with cerama-coat, but it all looks the same in the end.
Old January 26, 2010, 12:17 AM   #4
mapsjanhere

you can buy concave radius mill bits like
http://www.mcmaster.com/#2800a76/=5jci4k
but those are usually for bead details, so you need to put it on a lathe first to trim it from a 180 degree to something like a 90 degree edge cutting tool. Combine that with trying to align the gun just right on the mill table, I think you get better results doing it by hand.