The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 5, 2021, 11:07 PM   #1
larryf1952

I'll be needin' that for squirrels and such...

I got a MidwayUSA flyer in the mail the other day. Normally, I give them a scant look and toss them in the trash, since I'm not generally into optics or camo. But, this time, I looked through it a bit more carefully and noticed a graphic for Uberti black powder revolvers.

Now, I have absolutely no intention of ever getting into black powder shooting, nor do I have the desire to do so. I already reload my own ammo, and black powder is just more hassle and effort than I need to add to my life.

But, I've always thought that the mystique and the "look" of the old percussion revolvers were just too cool for words. I already own a Pietta 1851 Navy .44. It's my "Josey Wales" gun, and I like to just pull it out of its rug, polish it up, work the action and fondle it from time to time.

So, to make a story that's getting longer shorter, last Saturday night, I ordered a Uberti 1860 Colt Army .44 percussion revolver. It was dropped at my door on Wednesday morning. This thing is a gorgeous deep blue with a steel frame and brass trigger guard. What a beautiful gun that I'll never shoot!

My wife just laughs at me when I watch an Eastwood spaghetti western or some such movie, and I've got my black powder six guns right there with me. She says that when I start dressing up in dirty clothes, wearing a sombrero and a couple of bandoleers, smoking a stubby cigar, she's moving out. I tell her she should count her blessings. It gives her a chance to share the house with a 12 year old again for a couple of hours.
Old February 5, 2021, 11:32 PM   #2
shurshot

You really should shoot them with genuine black powder. It's a real hoot. Mess to clean up, but well worth it. They tend to shoot a bit high.
Old February 6, 2021, 12:09 AM   #3
bamaranger

1860 Colt Army

My first gun book, "The How and Why Book of Guins", at about age 10, had a picture of an 1860 Colt Army on the cover. I've been wanting one ever since. Recently, given the lack of ammo and components, I've been giving serious thought to "pulling the trigger" on one.
Old February 6, 2021, 08:07 AM   #4
Richard b

Several ammo crises ( elections)
ago I got an Italian Remington, powder, balls, and primers as back up. The gun sits perfectly clean in my safe now. I still have some emergency Obama ammo supplies and I hate cleaning black powder guns up.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old February 6, 2021, 08:37 AM   #5
DaleA

I can certainly understand buying something just to have it. It's nobody's business if you don't want to shoot the things but I've mentioned in a couple of posts about how much fun I had when a friend took me out and we shot his Ruger Old Army black powder revolver.

We used gen-u-whine Crisco on top of the balls and my friend had an old truck stop diner plastic squeeze ketchup dispenser (the tall cylindrical ones with the screw on top with the pointy tip) as a powder horn.

It was fun to shoot and then after shooting he showed me how quickly the gunked up gun could be cleaned in a kitchen with boiling hot water, an oven and an old cookie sheet to dry the parts and me acting as look out to make sure his wife didn't show up while we were doing this. Actually a little 409 and a few paper towels cleanded up the sink, counter top etc. when we were done.

Good times.
Old February 6, 2021, 09:42 AM   #6
CedarGrove357

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurshot View Post
You really should shoot them with genuine black powder. It's a real hoot. Mess to clean up, but well worth it. They tend to shoot a bit high.
Just take them in the shower with you. Wash them and yourself. Tell the wife the smell is the new gunpowder scented soap you found online.

Cedar Grove Farm and Arms
Old February 6, 2021, 10:15 AM   #7
HighValleyRanch

80 percent of your range time loading and picking out caps, and 20 percent shooting time!

But I do love the way they look!
I had an engraved 1858 San Marco. Wish I still had it.
Old February 6, 2021, 11:56 AM   #8
RickB

I've had an urge to get one, too. There's a good series on youtube about the development of the Colt revolver, and after going through a Sam Colt bio, describing how the Paterson revolver works, they showed how to load and fire, and even though I knew it all and had seen it all already, it really got me interested.
Actually, one thing I hadn't known, is that the screw above the wedge retains the wedge to the barrel, so you don't lose it during disassembly; you don't loosen or remove that screw unless you want to completely remove the wedge from the barrel.
A local store has two 1861 Navy replicas, and the prices are so reasonable, a collection of two or four wouldn't be very expensive.
I think a Dragoon and an 1862 Police would be a good start.
Old February 6, 2021, 12:50 PM   #9
BobCat45

Saw The Magnificent Seven movie as a child.

A few years later it was on TV, I had to watch it again.

Had a toy Colt BP revolver - might have been 1860 Colt Army - but no holster.

My big brother was a hot-rodder who did custom interiors; had scrap Naugahyde lying around that I could pirate.

Worked on the holster watching the movie on TV. Naugahyde over old shirt cardboard backing, laced with plastic lanyard strip, with belt loop.

It was finished and I was wearing it before the movie was over.

Now you have me on my way to Midway's web page to look at BP revolvers. And the only reloading component I'm limited on is rifle powder.

Thanks!

Edited to add: Midway is out of stock on all BP revolver right now. May keep looking or may take it as a hint not to buy things I don't need.
Old February 6, 2021, 04:44 PM   #10
DaleA

Quote:
Just take them in the shower with you. Wash them and yourself. Tell the wife the smell is the new gunpowder scented soap you found online.
This is one of the reasons I REALLY like this site.
---------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
May keep looking or may take it as a hint not to buy things I don't need.
You're forcing me to report this to the moderators. Await your fate.
(just kidding)
Old February 6, 2021, 05:04 PM   #11
BobCat45

Badly phrased, I should have left it at: "Thanks for the memories!"

Someone at work asked me why I 'needed' an AR-15. I told him I need it to shoot the matches in Service Rifle class. He just walked away.

I suppose that beyond the proverbial 'air, food, clothing, and shelter' everything is a 'want' rather than a 'need'. How much one wants something determines how much one will pay for it.

I think I'd be as happy to have that old toy (it was metal, not plastic) Colt six shooter back as I would be to buy a real BP revolver. Or the stamped sheet metal M3 "Grease Gun" - best toy gun I ever had. Sorry, different thread...

But it is rather strange that all the BP revolvers at Midway are sold out.
Old February 6, 2021, 06:24 PM   #12
noelf2

Sich... Squirrels and "sich"..
Old February 6, 2021, 10:33 PM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCat45
But it is rather strange that all the BP revolvers at Midway are sold out.
It's not strange at all. Once ammunition got so impossible to obtain, the people who suddenly awoke to the realization that they needed a firearm because they couldn't count on the police to protect them naturally gravitated to the black powder firearms. From what I understand, it's not virtually impossible to obtain percussion caps.

I bought my cap-and-ball revolver from Cabela's. I just checked their web site. For ALL of them, they now say "This product is not available on-line." I don't know if that means "out of stock," but I'm more inclined to believe it means for some reason they now want to see your smiling face before they'll sell you a black powder revolver.

Most cap-and-ball revolvers are out of stock at Dixie Gun Works, too.
Jeepaholic
Old February 6, 2021, 11:25 PM   #14
armoredman

The other problem is Italy basically shut down for quite a while over the bug, and Uberti and Pietta are made in Italy. My Pietta Colt Navy 1851 brass frame is a grand fun shooter, mess to clean, but I like it. I don't THINK I want to use it as a carry gun any time soon, but it will hit what I aim at!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ready 1.jpg (474.6 KB, 29 views)
Old February 7, 2021, 10:23 AM   #15
jdc606

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aguila Blanca View Post
I'm more inclined to believe it means for some reason they now want to see your smiling face before they'll sell you a black powder revolver.
The Cabelas in Mn requires you fill out the same form to purchase a black powder fire arm as a modern smokeless. They supposedly don't contact the Feds so I don't know the purpose other than record keeping for a future date.
Old February 12, 2021, 07:28 PM   #16
larryf1952

I apologize for being late back to this thread, I ended up getting sidetracked by several other issues that demanded my attention for a few days. But, I appreciate the comments that everyone has left. Some of them truly brought a smile to my face, like this one...

Quote:
I had an immediate vision of myself standing butt naked in the shower (that's frightening enough) with my Army pistol, trying in my loudest and coolest Clint voice to imitate a Mexican desperado, when the wife pulls back the shower curtain to see me and ask me just what the he** I think I'm doing. I don't know that I could offer an adequate explanation...

At any rate, I suppose that if things get desperate enough, I might actually see if I can gather up enough black powder and caps to try this thing out.
Old February 12, 2021, 07:35 PM   #17
Hawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarGrove357 View Post
I always said bp revolvers were some of the best fun you could have with your clothes on. Apparently it's also some of the best fun you can have with them off too.
Old February 12, 2021, 09:16 PM   #18
Deltadart

The black powder revolvers are a lot of fun, they are different from the 9mm auto where you jam 14 rounds in a mag and bang away. Loading is slow and a little bit of labor. The fun of the smoke and fire from the black powder is totally different. It is not that you are giving up your 9s or ACPs, this is just a different item on the menu. There are many choices nowadays for powder, BP, Pyrodex, and T7. And lots of accessories to help clean the revolvers. They are accurate when loaded and shot by an experienced person. If you have them you should go out a few times and try them out. Find someone in person or online to help you the first few times. There are lots of people that are more than willing to help. The cleaning is necessary, but all guns should be cleaned after they are fired, using T7 gives less smoke, dirt, and more energy. Remember the loads are generally volumetric use the proper measure, and NEVER EVER put Smokless in a black powder revolver.
Old February 16, 2021, 04:29 PM   #19
ThomasT

Quote:
I bought my cap-and-ball revolver from Cabela's. I just checked their web site. For ALL of them, they now say "This product is not available on-line." I don't know if that means "out of stock," but I'm more inclined to believe it means for some reason they now want to see your smiling face before they'll sell you a black powder revolver.
The story I heard was that someone who for whatever reason, either they were a felon or lived where smokeless powder guns were not allowed mail ordered a BP revolver and killed someone with it. So now no online sales.

I just picked up a Pietta Sheriffs model from Cabelas and had to have it shipped to Ft Worth Tx from Connecticut. I did have to fill out a paper on it but they didn't call it in like a normal gun purchase. And when he handed me the gun he said "I don't know why you ordered this, we have two of them in stock". So I explained to him that the store website says they are out of stock and that I had called the store TWICE asking if they had any for sale and they said they didn't.

So if you think you want one go to your local Cabelas and look for yourself. And unlike the OP I do plan on shooting mine as soon as my new nipples come in from TOW that use #11 caps. The nipples that came with the gun use #10 caps and I don't have any of those.
Old February 17, 2021, 06:52 PM   #20
gwpercle

Now you really need to pick up a new model 1861 Remington Army Revolver with an extra cylinder for that impressive Pale Rider reload as you walk down the street...
That was totally such a cool move .

I brandish my Ruger Wrangler while watching old Western's too .
If I could only back spin it into a holster like Alan Ladd did in the movie Shane ...
I would be happy ... it's harder than it looks .
Gary