The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 21, 2021, 06:32 AM   #26
TJB101

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeauxTide View Post
I bought a 45 Colt Henry X for $750. Fiber Optic open sights. Nice.

I purchased a 45-70 X series ... love the new fiber optic sights ... very easy to adjust. Side gate is a great add-on
Old January 21, 2021, 01:19 PM   #27
Obambulate

The 16.5" Rossi is great for tight spaces and the weight is under 5 lbs. .357 works well in a rifle of this size and weight.
Old January 21, 2021, 11:20 PM   #28
chris in va

What cast bullet are you guys finding works best in these levers? I was considering the Lee 358-125rf, or some flavor of Lyman.
Old January 22, 2021, 01:28 AM   #29
bamaranger

.357 lever

I've posted many times that a .357 lever carbine is a very useful firearm and one will not be disappointed in their acquisition. Ammo and components are (usually) plentiful. A wide range of ammo, from mild .38 spl. to all up magnum power yields tremendous versatility. A companion revolver so chambered is another plus.

A stubborn traditionalist, I'm opposed to red dots, suppressors, rails and such on lever carbines, but I get it, such additions may add some further usefulness under certain circumstances. One modification I do recommend is changing the sight system from the traditional bead and blade, to a peep sight. For some strange reason, my eyes have changed somehow for the good, and I can once again run a peep sight well enough to do fair shooting. Prior that, I was strongly considering a low powered variable scope.
Old January 22, 2021, 07:44 AM   #30
stagpanther

Quote:
Prior that, I was strongly considering a low powered variable scope.
20 lashes at the mizzenmast.
Old January 22, 2021, 07:54 PM   #31
Grant 14

Do any of the three discussed feed 38 wadcutters reliably? I like the idea of the .357mag for hunting , but most shooting is at paper or beer cans, and the 38 wadcutters are nicer. Too bad Savage didnt make a pistol cartridge 1899. Grant.
Old January 22, 2021, 08:43 PM   #32
bobn

my rossi doesn't feed swc. i load cowboy action bullets which are a flat nosed conical bullet. bobn
Old January 23, 2021, 08:13 AM   #33
JohnMoses

I have run thousands of 38's loaded with Lee's 158g tumble lube bullet through my Navy Arms (Puma, now Rossi)lever without issue. It's my favorite fun gun. No recoil or blast with 38's, but a beer can shredding monster with 357's. When my son brought his new shooter wife to play, she ignored all those msr loaded AK & AR mags and sent me looking for more 38 ammo. Nothing more satisfying than calling head shots on the 1/3 IPEC gong on the pistol range, then waiting that long second for the ping on the 100 yard gong.
Old January 23, 2021, 10:19 AM   #34
TBM900

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant 14 View Post
Do any of the three discussed feed 38 wadcutters reliably?
I've yet to see a non-heavily modified LG that could feed wadcutters even remotely reliably
Most struggled to even function twice in a row
With semi-wadcutters i've seen some that were somewhat reliable, enough for a bit of plinking
But that seems more a function of technique and bullet profile than make/model
But thats my own experience
Old January 23, 2021, 08:28 PM   #35
SIGSHR

The older Marlins had the Micro-groove rifling, later ones had Ballard rifling at the request of CAS/SASS shooters who found it better for lead bullets.
Old January 27, 2021, 02:40 AM   #36
bamaranger

lashes

I'd posted several times when I first hit this forum about "No scopes or white line spacers on your lever carbine". Then I turned 50 couple and my ability to run irons or even a peep on short barreled carbines took a turn for the worse. For reasons known only to the Almighty, I've discovered that my eyes will once again allow me to run a peep, even with a short barrel, well enough to do passable shooting.

I never scoped my Marlin.......no lashes for me!!!!!
Old January 27, 2021, 07:25 AM   #37
stagpanther

Quote:
For reasons known only to the Almighty, I've discovered that my eyes will once again allow me to run a peep, even with a short barrel, well enough to do passable shooting.
Give it some time--when you're on approach to 70 you may reconsider once again.
Old January 28, 2021, 07:53 AM   #38
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther View Post
Give it some time--when you're on approach to 70 you may reconsider once again.
Yup, although I have learned how to shoot at fuzzy things pretty good.
Old February 25, 2021, 08:04 AM   #39
Scribe

Prefer the top ejection 92 action. I got a brand new Rossi 92 16 inch .44 magnum two and half years ago. It’s run like a Swiss watch and feeds special cases without a hitch.
Old February 25, 2021, 12:35 PM   #40
reinert

SIGSHR,

"THE OLDER MARLINS HAD MICRO GROOVE RIFLING, LATER ONES HAD BALLARD RIFLING..."

You probably (maybe?) knew the original Marlin lever guns had the Ballard rifling up 'till the mid-50's, then went to the Micro groove rifling (M336s anyway). I never got into the CASS program, but I do remember reading about Marlin bringing back the Ballard rifling back in the later 90s.(?) And FWIW, I just posted this in case a newer shooter didn't know about the Marlin rifling history.

Also, in regards to the tube/loading gate business here, one should remember when all this came down through history, most everything was done on foot and/or horseback. The King's patent came out on the '66 Winchester (I believe) improving loading and a protection of the tube with the wood forearm (heat issues, too), and in regards to improving the original Henry Rifle's loading operation. I think loading rounds through the gate would be a whole lot handier whilst sitting horseback, or while running from a bad situation...or to one.

I do think the Henry's talked about here that have both accesses for loading is a pretty cool thing. Personally, I like my Marlin M336s and my M94 just the way they are. And it's just me, but I never cared for the looks of the new Henry's, but never really messed with one, either. My wife has both models of the Henry lever gun .22s, and like them a lot. The actions truly are butter smooth, and are very accurate, too.

Driftwood Johnson needs to chime in here!

chris in va,

To your inquiry for a rifle, I'd hunt for a nice older Marlin M94 carbine in your choice of cal. I have an M94SS in .41 mag. I like an awful lot. 20" barrel, very reliable, and very accurate. I do handload for that one.
Old February 25, 2021, 01:13 PM   #41
MarkCO

After going about 10 years without a lever action (sold two Marlins, one in .30-30 and one in .41Mag) the Henry's are bringing me back. Have a .41Mag on order. I like the .41Mag more than the .357, but it was a hard choice with the .357 having a side gate. I'd certainly pick a Henry with a side gate if I was getting a .357 Mag.
Old February 25, 2021, 06:00 PM   #42
stagpanther

Quote:
After going about 10 years without a lever action (sold two Marlins, one in .30-30 and one in .41Mag) the Henry's are bringing me back. Have a .41Mag on order. I like the .41Mag more than the .357, but it was a hard choice with the .357 having a side gate. I'd certainly pick a Henry with a side gate if I was getting a .357 Mag.
We expect a full report.
Old March 8, 2021, 06:18 AM   #43
Scribe

As previously mentioned my Rossi 92 feeds .44 Magnum and Special cases without a hitch. Likewise 240 grain semi wad cutters.
Who cares about sacrilege? My eyes are nearly 61 years old and the Burris 2.75 Scout scope fitted with an NOE mount was the right move.
Old March 27, 2021, 08:40 PM   #44
44caliberkid

How do the Henry and the Rossi compare? For a .357 specifically, the Rossi (or any other Winchester 92 or replica 92) will be substantially smaller, lighter, and with that, faster handling, in theory. The Henry is a substantial chunk of steel, and in 41 or 44, I find them awesome. But a lot of heavy metal there in 357, but recoil is probably like a .22.
Old March 28, 2021, 03:49 AM   #45
Polinese

Henry is also just a better fit and finish compared to the rossi. Nice enough to hang on the wall if you like.
Old March 28, 2021, 08:19 AM   #46
Nanuk

16" is perfect. Try skinner or XS sights and you will never mount an RDS.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old March 29, 2021, 04:37 PM   #47
FoghornLeghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSHR View Post
More authentic
Side gate came later. The original configuration was loading from the muzzle end of the gun.

But it's also true that topping off a partially loaded gun could be risky in the heat of battle/hunting.
Old March 29, 2021, 04:41 PM   #48
FoghornLeghorn

I have both iterations.

The side gate allows the shooter to top off the gun with more bullets without putting his hands near the muzzle (of a loaded gun). On the con side, I've gotten owies from loading side gates. Especially in cold weather.
Old March 29, 2021, 09:34 PM   #49
Driftwood Johnson

Quote:
Driftwood Johnson needs to chime in here!
Ask and ye shall receive.

The 1860 Henry rifle (not to be confused with modern rifles made by a company claiming to be descended from that rifle) had the barrel and magazine formed from one solid bar of steel. The magazine follower had a tab that extended down through a slot that ran the length of the magazine. The tab can be seen extending down below the magazine in this photo of my 'iron frame' Uberti 1860 Henry replica. (Originals usually go for six figures and ammunition for them is not made anymore anyway) Every time a round was stripped from the magazine by working the lever, the follower jumped back the length of a cartridge as it shoved the column of cartridges in the magazine back. The slot at the underside of the magazine, and the motion of the follower tab in it, made it impractical for the Henry rifle to have a wooden fore stock.

To reload one grasped the tab of the follower and pulled it all the way forward, compressing the magazine spring all the way. Once the spring was completely compressed and the follower was clear of the end of the magazine, the 'false muzzle', for want of a better word, was rotated about 45 degrees or so to one side, exposing the end of the magazine. Fresh cartridges could then be inserted into the end of the magazine. When done loading, the shooter grabbed the follower and rotated the false muzzle back to its normal position. This allowed the follower to realign with the slot, and the false muzzle to be latched in the normal position again. Under combat conditions, an assist from gravity was needed for the fresh cartridges to slide down the magazine, so loading prone from a concealed position could be problematic, the shooter needed to stand to allow the cartridges to fall down the magazine with the help of gravity.

It should be noted here a that it is NOT recommended to load a replica of the 1860 Henry, chambered for centerfire cartridges, vertically, with the rounds falling down the magazine under the acceleration of gravity. The original 1860 Henry was chambered for a rimfire 44 caliber cartridge. There was no danger of the pointy end of a bullet hitting the rim of a cartridge falling onto it and igniting the primer. That is not the case with the centerfire 44-40 and 45 Colt cartridges that the modern replicas are chambered for. While it is unlikely a primer will fall hard enough onto a bullet to ignite the primer, if the tab of the follower slips out of the hand of the shooter while he is closing the false muzzle, the magazine spring will accelerate it back with a great deal of force. Yes, there have been instances of cartridges firing in the magazine when a follower slipped out of the hand of the shooter. Hard to believe with the flat nosed bullets we always load into our rifles, but I am here to tell you it has happened. That is the reason there is a rubber insert in the follower, to lessen its impact in case the follower slips out of the shooter's hand while he is loading.

In CAS we load our firearms while standing at the 'loading table'. My technique with my Henry is to turn the rifle upside down, so the magazine follower and slot are easy to grasp. With the muzzle pointed away from me in a safe direction I pull the follower all the way forward and unlatch the false muzzle so I can feed rounds into the open end of the magazine. I tilt the rifle at a slight angle so the rounds can 'trickle' down the magazine gently, I never allow them to fall with the full acceleration of gravity. I also carefully wrap my left hand around the barrel and magazine almost all the way at the front of the magazine, while loading with my right hand. The point is, if the false muzzle should accidentally close while I am loading, the follower will be free to jump back with great force and slam into the rounds already loaded in the magazine. The fewer rounds that have been loaded, the more space the spring will have to accelerate the follower violently back. That is why I wrap my left hand around the barrel and magazine. The follower tab will slap against my hand, preventing it from moving any further. Yes, it will hurt, but it is better than rounds firing in the magazine.

Oliver Winchester, who was the chief investor in the New Haven Arms Company, which made the 1860 Henry, tried to get government contracts to purchase the Henry rifle during the Civil War, but he was largely unsuccessful. A few Union Army regiments did buy the rifles, but Winchester was not successful in procuring a major contract to provide the rifle to the Army. One of the complaints was the open slot under the magazine allowing dirt and other debris into the mechanism which could possibly disable the arm. Yes, it was the 1866 Winchester that first employed the Kings Patent side loading gate. Winchester had renamed the company after a dispute with Benjamin Tyler Henry, the designer of the rifle. Winchester renamed the company the Winchester Repeating Arms Company, and the Winchester Model 1866, sometimes called the Improved Henry, was the first product. The side loading gate made the slot under the magazine, and the protruding follower tab obsolete. This also allowed a fore stock to be added to the rifle. In addition, the barrel and magazine were no longer formed from a solid bar of steel, the magazine was made from a thin walled tube hung under the barrel. This reduced the weight of the rifle by about a pound.

I can tell you, firing a magazine full of Black Powder 44-40 cartridges from my Henry on a hot summer day, the steel barrel/magazine gets too hot to hold and I always wear a glove on my left hand when playing cowboy in the summer.

Last edited by Driftwood Johnson; March 29, 2021 at 09:42 PM.
Old April 3, 2021, 09:46 AM   #50
mrt949

Marlin 1894 csbl 357 is what i have .
Expensive if you can find one