The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 6, 2018, 11:29 PM   #1
KyleYankee

NOT a MAK-90.

I made a thread some time ago about buying a barely-fired MAK-90 for $500 from my grampy. I took it shooting today, and stupid me of course has gone almost a week and not noticed the "NHM-91" on the side. At first I was distraught - I had heard the MAK is one of the BEST civilian AKs. When I was done berating myself, I looked up the NHM and found out it's basically the same but with an even thicker 20" barrel and provisions for a bipod. The nubbin that prevents standard cap mags has been ground off, courtesy of my grandpa.

I've put about 250-300 rounds through it and it's run flawlessly. All serial numbers match and it is a 1994 straight cut. The wood is perfect and there isn't a scratch on the entire rifle.

I don't have a bipod on mine, but I'm wondering what this is worth based on the information I provided above. The value can only go up unless of course type 56s and variants are imported again.
Old January 6, 2018, 11:30 PM   #2
KyleYankee

To clarify: I'm also wondering what this is worth when compared with the standard MAK-90. The NHM seems to be an RPK-based improvement? Thanks all
Old January 7, 2018, 09:16 AM   #3
wayne in boca

Well,I bought one about 2 months ago for 850.Since then,I have added Romanian RPK furniture,a PKM short flash suppressor from CNC Warrior,and a newer bakelite grip.Oh yeah,and an adjustable rear site from KVAR too.So now it's worth around a million bucks,to me at least.Sweet rifle.
I have a MAK 90 that I paid 300 for a long time ago.Put a Chicom military stock on her,cost 50 bucks I think.They go for 800 now,but I will never sell mine.

Last edited by wayne in boca; January 7, 2018 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old January 7, 2018, 03:30 PM   #4
ed308

You got a good deal. NHM-91 were selling for $500 back in 2012. No more are being imported. Prices will continue to rise.
Old January 7, 2018, 08:05 PM   #5
RC20

Will do some looking on my sites, I knew there was some variation of the MAK-90

Keep in mind mods are a dicey thing. Check on 922R.
Old January 7, 2018, 09:06 PM   #6
highpower3006

Quote:
Check on 922R.

In reality 922r is for importers and original manufacturers, not the end users. I haven't heard of the 922r police lurking around looking for rifles that don't comply. In fact, I have not heard of a single instance of anyone being harassed about their rifle not having enough compliance parts.

I have converted a couple of Chinese MAK's back to their original configuration. What you don't want to do is to take out the stock trigger (it's one of the nicest there is) in order to comply with some silly law that doesn't apply to you.

Ironwood designs sells a buttstock and pistol grip that will easily get rid of the awful stock they come with although their stock is like a standard AK buttstock. If you want to put a RPK style stock on it you will have to adapt one from a different country's RPK or custom make one.

These are the two I did:

This one got a full set of NOS Chinese wood.
Old January 11, 2018, 04:55 PM   #7
RC20

There are US agents who do know the laws.

I have one instance of a person who did have an out of spec MAK and he did loose it.

Likely? No.

Possible, Yes.

And its easy to avoid.