The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 29, 2017, 04:51 PM   #26
jimbob86

Quote:
What I have learned is that I really don't care much for the basic design and don't shoot the rifles much.
I did not really like them either (a product of totin' them for a decade for my rich uncle.... but that ol' crabby bastard could even make shooting guns a PITA) .... but thought I saw handwriting on the wall that read, "These are going to triple in price, if they are available at all." .... they did get spendy for a bit.....

.... I have kinda taken a shine to mine of late: it is cheaper to feed than my .270WIN or any of my milsurps .....
Old December 29, 2017, 07:28 PM   #27
Bartholomew Roberts

FYI, AIM Surplus is selling a complete 16" AR15 (Radical Firearms), with 15" MLOK handguard, midlength gas, and a melonited 1:7 barrel for $450. Speaking of Golden Age of ARs.
Old December 29, 2017, 07:52 PM   #28
rickyrick

My first AR was a PSA kit without a lower that cost more than 450$
So I’m jealous of those starting out nowadays.
Old December 30, 2017, 02:51 AM   #29
Nathan

Quote:
You don't "have to" start there, but since ya did ..... The number one reason for not going the Colt LE 6920 is cost/benefit ...... several hundred dollars more for a prancing pony on the side and grenade launcher cuts in the barrel for a grenade launcher one can not buy
I agree you can build one for less. It will not have the same quality of parts. Colt parts are more expensive. Some of that is name, but lots of it is they build an AR without saying.....ahhh he don't need no HPT spec, or don't need a 4150 CHF CL barrel or don't need a proper fsb.....just saying there is a lower quality usually being provided when cutting in below the Colt.

Colt 6920 MOE $905
You can cut $150 off by buying an OEM rifle and putting the furniture on yourself.

Quote:
I built my AR-15 just before the Second Great Obama Gun Scare .... PSA 5.56 (1:7" twist) upper and Lower parts kit, and a stripped lower bought locally .... spent 700 dollars or so. Great gun..... you could probably build a comparable rifle from them for a couple hundred less today ...
A great option. I did the same for a similar price. I think I could cut $60 from my cost due to cheaper lowers nowadays and cheaper BCG prices.

Quote:
I like the MOE handguards for their light weight, but always liked the aluminum heat shields in milspec guards ....
Huh! My MOE has heat shields riveted in. Yours do not?

Quote:
.... also, a barrel with a 1/7" or 1/8" twist will allow you to use longer (heavier and more efficient) bullets... I have not seen a lot of slow twist (1/10"-1/12") barrels lately anyway ....
Excellent point. Yes, 1:9, 1:8 or 1:7 for sure....to shoot heavy mag length rounds...55gr to 75 gr

Quote:
....resale....
Somebody jump in.....my impression of the AR15 resale market now is you will lose 30-50% of value on the sale of a build, about 25-40% on a std brand and about 5-10% on a Colt or BCM...the current market is a jumping in point, but not good for jumping out.
Old December 30, 2017, 08:23 AM   #30
Mobuck

$400-500 will buy you a decent entry level AR 15 that will do what most users expect. Buy good quality magazines but don't get hung up on 30 rounders as their use is best suited for actual combat ( I like MagPul 10 or 20 round mags).
DI or piston?? I don't see the need for a piston operation unless you're into high round count competition or run a suppressor. I like the piston system BUT only one of my AR's has this so make your own interpretation.
.223/5.56/Wylde??? Most of mine are 5.56 and I haven't determined if the Wylde is actually more accurate than 5.56. I'd call it a wash and not stress on the chambering. In fact, I don't see much issue with .223 chambers as I'm not into using military grade FMJ anyway.
I transitioned into the AR platform from highly accurate bolt actions and was not impressed for several years until I learned some of the quirks and foibles of the AR.
Old January 1, 2018, 10:36 PM   #31
jimbob86

Quote:
I don't see the need for a piston operation unless you're into high round count competition or run a suppressor.
Mobuck .... I understand the heat issues associated with high rates of fire .... what issues do DI guns have with cans?

Quote:
Excellent point. Yes, 1:9, 1:8 or 1:7 for sure....to shoot heavy mag length rounds...55gr to 75 gr
I do 50gr varmint bullet without issue in a 1:7 .... I realize that you can spin them too fast, but a 16 inch barrel and a moderate charge isn't going to 220Swift style poof them, IDT ....
Old January 1, 2018, 11:18 PM   #32
3Crows

I got a Windham Weaponry AR15 when they first came out, a flat top model. I suggest a flat top because it is easy to convert to optical sights, flip up sights or mount a handle or whatever. If we are invaded by off world aliens and the President calls up all able bodied males and tells them to bring what they got, I am sure it will acquit itself well.

I only bought the thing because I was afraid the Dems were going to ban them when Billoary took office. But I am glad I got it despite the reprieve though it is hardly my type of weapon. Still, fun to shoot, maybe useful if civilization collapses or I need to open up a can of whupass on some insurgent pigs or infidel 'dillas.
Old January 2, 2018, 12:15 AM   #33
jimbob86

3C, I carried the M16's so long that the A4 carry handle is a menace ...... (your fingers will just barely fit in there like back the old days. but if you reach back from sling arms and you whip it around to port arms like you could with an A1/A2 ..... there will be blood.....
Old January 2, 2018, 12:15 AM   #34
MJFlores

Why not get an AK? AR's will be around, but good AKs are getting harder to get due to sanctions, demand, and other country's export restrictions. I have both, but I have more fun with an AK. I've come to appreciate the design over the AR/ M16 platform. Ammo is also much cheaper and just as easy to get....and getting easier the past several years.
Old January 2, 2018, 12:47 AM   #35
jimbob86

Quote:
Today 01:15 AM
MJFlores Why not get an AK? AR's will be around, but good AKs are getting harder to get due to sanctions, demand, and other country's export restrictions. I have both, but I have more fun with an AK. I've come to appreciate the design over the AR/ M16 platform. Ammo is also much cheaper and just as easy to get....and getting easier the past several years.
Good AK's are easier to get now than ever ..... you just have to pay more for them, because they aren't bodged together parts kit guns anymore ..... but they aren't dirt cheap anymore either, while AR's are; they are not suffering the glut the AR market is .......

It's ergonomically inferior to the AR .... the cartridge is better for close combat, agreed ..... ammo is NOT cheaper, if one reloads in bulk ..... but you like it so keep cheerleading ..... it's what keeps gun forums populated ...
Old January 2, 2018, 07:35 AM   #36
MJFlores

Sanctions now stop VEPRs from coming in, and Arsenal has stated that we wont see any SAM7's or SLR's for quite some time. That leaves Century garbage, and heavily used battle field turn in, or reworked pickups. The future of the AK market is bleak, unless you like imported garbage which is whats starting to flood the market. For ammo, you wouldn;t bother reloading for a AK....you can easily buy 1000 rounds of decent ammo for just under $200. I reload for .556 and cant get anywhere close to that with bullets, powder, and primers. Factor in your time and there's no way to compare. Buy a 1000 rounds and have fun, and dont feel bad letting steel cases from Russia hit the dirt and stay there. It's just economics. It's a great time to get an AK, but that time is slowly passing, while AR's are everywhere on the cheap and will be for quite some time.
Old January 2, 2018, 08:03 AM   #37
stagpanther

Quote:
you can easily buy 1000 rounds of decent ammo for just under $200
where--I have a hungry AK? Just buy the PSA 7.62 x 39 upper for around $150 and yer done--best of both worlds (and the AR47 is more accurate IMO).
Old January 2, 2018, 08:28 AM   #38
MJFlores

any chance you're in NH or close? There's a shop near the MA NH border....sells Golden Tiger 500 and 1000 round boxes at prices you cant beat.
Old January 2, 2018, 08:29 AM   #39
MJFlores

You can also get around here, Red Army 7.62X39 for $220. per 900 round boxes. Golden Tiger is much better ammo.
Old January 2, 2018, 09:03 AM   #40
stagpanther

thanks Mike--yep--I'm in Maine--but still a good 5 hours or more from the NH border from where I live.
Old January 2, 2018, 09:33 AM   #41
SDF880

Caution! AR's tend to multiple like rabbits! I have one in the corner next to me and I think it just smiled!

Enjoy, be safe!