The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 26, 2017, 07:55 AM   #26
OhioGuy

It's an interesting statistic and probably is good guidance for anyone else, even if only seen as "Carry a 9mm Glock or M&P with some emergency medical supplies, and you can't go wrong." I'd certainly agree with the statement. Generalizing to "carry something that's got long-term reliability, and train regularly with it" is just as good. The one guy carrying the Beretta is no worse off than the 5000 carrying Glocks so long as he's trained with his Beretta, and they've trained with their Glocks.

Would you rather be punched by Schwarzenegger or Ferrigno? You're screwed either way as long as he's been training

However, Berettas are sexier and it's been scientifically proven, in lab by guys wearing goggles. That case is closed!

I did once hear a rather...strained...argument that would basically look at this data to say "Yes, those sorts of guns are great for people who train all the time, like these instructors who won't make careless errors, but normal people who can only get to the range a few times a year should carry a double action .357 mag revolver."

I think his point was that revolvers are usually the most reliable things on the planet, you'll probably only get off a shot or two at close range, so make it count, if only 1/5 of your shots will land anyway, better it be a .357 mag than a 9mm. etc and so forth.

Interestingly, the guy who made that argument carried a Glock AND a snub-nose .357. Oh, and medical supplies.
Old November 27, 2017, 01:06 AM   #27
shurshot

I would prefer to carry my Winchester 94 .30-30, but it doesn't fit well in my pant leg. Trade offs in life, always trade offs!
Old November 27, 2017, 01:34 AM   #28
Psychedelic Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
It's an interesting statistic and probably is good guidance for anyone else, even if only seen as "Carry a 9mm Glock or M&P with some emergency medical supplies, and you can't go wrong." I'd certainly agree with the statement. Generalizing to "carry something that's got long-term reliability, and train regularly with it" is just as good. The one guy carrying the Beretta is no worse off than the 5000 carrying Glocks so long as he's trained with his Beretta, and they've trained with their Glocks.

Would you rather be punched by Schwarzenegger or Ferrigno? You're screwed either way as long as he's been training

However, Berettas are sexier and it's been scientifically proven, in lab by guys wearing goggles. That case is closed!

I did once hear a rather...strained...argument that would basically look at this data to say "Yes, those sorts of guns are great for people who train all the time, like these instructors who won't make careless errors, but normal people who can only get to the range a few times a year should carry a double action .357 mag revolver."

I think his point was that revolvers are usually the most reliable things on the planet, you'll probably only get off a shot or two at close range, so make it count, if only 1/5 of your shots will land anyway, better it be a .357 mag than a 9mm. etc and so forth.

Interestingly, the guy who made that argument carried a Glock AND a snub-nose .357. Oh, and medical supplies.
What I know about revolvers and self defense now, that I didn't years ago - maybe moon clips, or speedloader has to be available for your gun

And also... 357 out of one of these light spaceage revolvers... like ouch.

Even 38 special.. by the time I'm at round 100 out of my lightweight revolver.. I'm done, I'm on my way home

In that respect.. for people who do train, can train, have time and money to train, or just generally know what they are doing (vets, cops, etc) a semi auto really makes sense

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk
Old November 27, 2017, 10:19 AM   #29
Lohman446

For highly trained and highly skilled individuals there is little doubt in my mind that carrying reasonably high capacity firearms with multiple reloads makes a good deal of sense. While obviously more training and more skill is going to help even with, forgive the use of the term, "lesser" equipment it is going to be more likely that those individuals will reach the limit of their equipment before they reach the limit of their skill.
Old November 27, 2017, 10:33 AM   #30
zincwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda94 View Post
oh I'll backpedal enough to say I'm not trying to debate whats reality or prove anything. I agree the statistic you shared is a fact from an event and its also my opinion that 9mm is the most common caliber for carry, and I'm suggesting that from my own observation.... that and it just makes sense its cheaper and just as effective as anything.

I'm a little skeptical that Glock is still the dominate gun in public use, lots of quality polymer striker fired guns to choose from these days that are just as reliable and I'm skeptical that a 1911 is not reliable enough for carry.

gun stores are not stocking them if they aren't selling them, and it just doesn't seem to make sense to me to buy a compact 1911 as a safe queen, its just my observation that they are still popular enough. I'm also still curious if high end instructors are sponsored by Glock and how that would influence their selection for such an event and their response at such an event for what they personally carry.
I would proffer instructors are right up there with competitive shooters in tinkering with their firearms. Glock (and to a lesser extent M&P) is the AR -15 build to suit of the pistol world. Other firearms, much less so. These numbers presented in the OP are very similar to competition preferences (at least per the USPSA and IDPA mags) for 9mms.

I am a bit surprised about the lack of 1911s. Good 1911s at a reasonable price can be had, and there remains a strong market for active safety pistols. It may be a generational shift there.
Old November 28, 2017, 10:50 AM   #31
kraigwy

I'm a revolver guy, guess its the way I started out in the 70s when thats what people used. All we could use at the time on my department. I carry a Smith J frame and I do carry 100% of the time, (exception is in federal building).

I shoot a lot and cost is a factor. Another reason I like revolvers. They arnt picky on ammo. Casting bullets I can shoot 38s cheaper then I can 22s.

I've tried drifting to semis, I found my Ruger LC9pro is quite reliable using cast bullets and shoots quite well. But its hard for me to make the break from revolvers. Old habits die hard, esp since that habit worked for nearly 45 years.

I dont, and dont suggest anyone else choose a handgun based on what other trainers use. People are different and should choose what fits and works for them.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071