The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 21, 2001, 02:38 PM   #1
Krom

870 w/ rifled barrel. What slug to use?

I have a 20ga 870 with a rifled barrel. I am going deer hunting this year, and was wondering what rounds you guys would suggest i use. Last year i shot a nice 10pt using Rottwiel(sp?) slugs. Since i have a rifled barrel, should i be using a sabot? Thanks alot guys.
Old October 21, 2001, 11:31 PM   #2
Coronach

IIRC, the rule is as follows:

Rifled slugs in a smooth barrel, sabots in a rifled barrel

Sorry, I don't hunt and I've only ever used smoothbore SG barrels. But I do know how to pronounce sabot.

Mike

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old October 22, 2001, 04:14 AM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The 20 ga Rottweil Brenneke may be one of the best all time deer rounds. VERY effective. Sabots are oft quite accurate, but results are not quite on par with the full bore diameter slugs.

The ONLY way to find the best load for you and your 870 is benchtesting. Old threads here will give you more input.
Old October 22, 2001, 11:30 AM   #4
Krom

Great. Thanks for the replys, now im gonna do a search on the old threads.
Old October 22, 2001, 12:59 PM   #5
Shok

Coronach is right "Rifled slugs in a smooth barrel, sabots in a rifled barrel". You shoot lead through a rifled barrel it will lead up and the accuracy will be horrible. Know a guy who did it and it took forever to get the lead out.

I get 6" group at 100yards with smoothbore and rifled slugs. While rifled barrel with sabot gets 2" groups at 100yards.

Good luck,

Shok

``If we moms can push 9 pound (4 kg) babies through our bodies, some of them with heads as big as bowling balls, surely we can push [gun control] legislation through the halls of Congress,'' Dees-Thomases MMM founder.

"Small arms, too, are weapons of mass destruction," Louise Frechette deputy secretary-general for the U.N. small arms conference