The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 14, 2016, 04:05 PM   #1
jolasa

Best over-powder wad for blackpowder 45-70

What is the best over-powder wad for black powder cartridge for Sharps 45-70 with a Lyman 457125 bullet?

card
LDPE
HDPE
other
etc/

JonS
Old November 15, 2016, 02:02 AM   #2
Hawg

When I was loading 45-70 there wasn't enough room for an over powder wad.
Old November 15, 2016, 10:31 AM   #3
Hellgate

For my TD carbine I use two thin wafers of sheet beeswax under the bullet and get more accuracy than with either no wad or 1 or 2 cardboard (1/8") discs from Circle Fly.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old November 15, 2016, 10:54 AM   #4
Wyosmith

Well WAYTTS?
IDMYSLARETUANOK.
Old November 16, 2016, 11:27 AM   #5
ocharry

for a long time i used the card ,,,with good results

then i switched to the ldpe,,,with a little better results

This data is for black powder

if you are going to put all the driving bands into the case it will take a lot of compression,,,be careful,, you will bulge the case with to much and the cartridge wont go into the chamber

i also finger seated the bullet and left the top groove and driving band out of the case

if you are going to hunt with this bullet you can kiss the crimp on the second driving band to snug the bullet

not sure what powder you are using or how much,,,,but you should drop it through a drop tube to help settle the powder in the case to get more into the case,,,it will help

lyman also makes a really good IIRC 425gr, flat nose bullet that i like to hunt with,,way better than the 405gr.

for long range stuff look at the postell design,,, flies a little better out there at 8-1000 yrds

i can get the mold nos. for you if you need them

either one of those wads should give you good results

ocharry

Last edited by ocharry; November 16, 2016 at 09:15 PM.
Old November 21, 2016, 05:43 PM   #6
bobn

make your own from orange juice containers. bob
Old November 21, 2016, 11:34 PM   #7
reinert

I use the veggie wad material from Buffalo Arms. Depending on what bullet I use, either the .030" or the .060" stuff works very well. I use a .45 cal. wad punch to make the wads used in my 45/70 Shiloh Sharps loads.

I also compress my b.p. loads with the wad in place, using a compression die. Using standard GOEX, 2fg powder, I'll compress my drop-tubed, 68 grn. charge to the proper depth I need for my C.O.A.L. when the bullet is seated. An old rule; don't compress with the bullet while seating.

I use the standard GOEX, 2fg charge mentioned using both the Lyman 405 grn. flat nose bullet for hunting, and the Lyman 535 grn. Postel for the gongs. I've used both thicknesses of veggie wads for both bullet usage, and couldn't really see a difference in accuracy. I set the compression die depth accordingly for each bullet regarding proper C.O.A.L. I believe you've got the 500 grn. Gov't bullet mould. Never used that bullet, but I think the veggie wad stuff would work well for that pill, too.

If you're using Swiss powder, you won't be compressing your load, or very little if you do. Standard GOEX can be compressed a lot, and seems to shoot better with a good crush on the charge. I've compressed GOEX near half an inch in my 45/90 Shiloh with very good results down range.

Here's the stuff; go to reloading supplies, then wad material, then vegetable fiber material.

www.buffaloarms.com
Old November 22, 2016, 07:52 PM   #8
Kevin Rohrer

There is no "best" of anything. Either something works or does not. Don't over think something as simple as a wad.

I use card wads I bought from Buffalo Arms, but also bought a wad punch to make my own when I run out of their's.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old November 23, 2016, 09:55 AM   #9
reinert

Jo1,

Looks like between here and the Shiloh site, you've got enough info on wads and materials to get you going straight down the trail. Personally, I'll still use the veggie stuff, as I've found loads for both of my Sharps rifles that work well for me regarding the wad question. FWIW, some shooters use only a wad disc of wax paper between the charge and the bullet base. They say that's perfectly sufficient for an accurate load. I just may try that sometime...sure would simplify things.

Good luck with your loads. Ever go to the Quigley? 700 registered shooters can't be wrong, even amidst the chaos. Anyone who's been bitten by the B.P.C.R. bug should attend that one at least once.

"Don't know where we're goin,' just don't wanna be late."
Old November 23, 2016, 10:09 AM   #10
Model12Win

Quote:
Well WAYTTS?
IDMYSLARETUANOK.
Did you just have a stroke?