The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 24, 2015, 11:37 PM   #1
cowboys1062

hawken builder George Nelson

I have seen two Hawken rifles built by George Nelson on Track Of The Wolf web site. They were custom built. One Hawken had a Colerain 36 inch barrel in 54 cal. The other Hawken had a Douglas barrel 36 inch also in 54 cal. Both with highly figured Maple stocks. Fit and finish was tight. All iron browned furniture and barrels. Both Hawken barrels were slow twist for PRB. One has already been sold. The other Hawken is still available. They were both new and unfired. The triggers and locks were high quality makers. He used the best of everything to build these muzzleloaders. If only I had the money! They are between 2500 to 3000 each, but well worth the asking price. I have tried to find out more about George Nelson but cant find anything on him. I would love to see some more of his work. Has anyone heard of him or his custom built Hawken rifles?
Old January 26, 2015, 04:35 PM   #2
bedbugbilly

Give Track a call - they should have information on him.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 9, 2015, 04:41 AM   #3
HiBC

Its been several years ago..I had a flat wallet and put the Hawken I built out on a gun show table.

I got most all the parts from a fellow known as "Broken Butt" who was the proprietor of Cache la Poudre Rifleworks in Northern Colorado.He has passed away.I'm glad the rifle did not sell.He was a friend..its not for sale any more.

Its a .54.Sharon bbl.Ron Long lock and doubleset.Griffin hook breech,curly maple.
I had a pretty good mentor for building,"The Flintlocker " out of Cheyenne was a friend.
What I found amusing was the folks who would walk by...almost.The image of that Hawken hit their peripheral vision,then sunk in.They would freeze a second,turn..approach it darn near reverently..study it...get all quivery..then ask "Who is the maker?"
I'd say "You are looking at him"
That would break the spell,and they would walk away.
Rifle didn't change a bit.
It was a Collector show,and someone suggested I show it to an older gentleman recognized as a Hawken authority.I semi-appologised for the old S.Hawken guard on a somewhat longer bbl'd Hawken,and I had the later cheekpiece,too.His eyebrows went up,and he said"Do you have any idea how rare it is that you would recognize that?Don't even worry about it,thats a fine rifle". It felt good!

Learn about the man...but,IMO, let the rifle speak for itself. Its no less rifle if the maker is not "famous".
Old December 3, 2016, 05:16 PM   #4
Malamute

If you find information about George Nelson, pleaselet me know. Several years ago I saw pictures of a Hawken type he built. It was the best example Ive ever seen, from my aesthetic perception. I see he made one of the Hawken examples of the kits Track now has, Id love to find out if hed consider building a gun to order, less of the cursed crescent but, (more like the Kit Carson gun) and with an 1868 50-70 Springfield action in the Hawken gun, a Gemmer sporter. I have the action.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-