The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 17, 2014, 04:40 PM   #1
rebs

AR Comp powder ?

I started loading ar comp power with a Hornady 55 grn sp in 223. I am having a difficult time finding an accurate load, so far the best is 25.0 grns.
Has anyone else had success with this powder ?
Old September 17, 2014, 09:26 PM   #2
Gary L. Griffiths

AR-Comp is my go-to powder for .223/5.56mm in my AR platforms. I just did some testing today comparing it with Varget and BLC(2) with CCI-400, CCI-41, and CCI-450 primers. It is quite a bit more consistent than the others with all three types of primer. It averaged 15.70 SD, where Varget was 28.86 and BLC(2) was 27.96. I was using 24.0 grs. under a Winchester FMJBT bullet. Accuracy wasn't real great, but then this was just a cheap "blasting" bullet. Still, the AR-Comp produced the smallest average groups, but not by much.

The other day I shot some 55-gr Nosler BT varmint bullets on top of 25.0 grs. AR-Comp, and they were just scary accurate. One-hole groups at 50 yds., average velocity 3010 fps. out of my 16.5" AR-15.

I get consistent higher velocities with lower pressures with AR-Comp, with lower charge weights. What's not to like?
Violence is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and valorous feeling which believes that nothing is worth violence is much worse. Those who have nothing for which they are willing to fight; nothing they care about more than their own craven apathy; are miserable creatures who have no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the valor of those better than themselves. Gary L. Griffiths (Paraphrasing John Stuart Mill)
Old September 17, 2014, 10:23 PM   #3
Clark

I have not tried it, but I have read the range reports with the oven and cooler. It is the most temp stable powder available.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old September 18, 2014, 12:54 AM   #4
rebs

Quote:
AR-Comp is my go-to powder for .223/5.56mm in my AR platforms. I just did some testing today comparing it with Varget and BLC(2) with CCI-400, CCI-41, and CCI-450 primers. It is quite a bit more consistent than the others with all three types of primer. It averaged 15.70 SD, where Varget was 28.86 and BLC(2) was 27.96. I was using 24.0 grs. under a Winchester FMJBT bullet. Accuracy wasn't real great, but then this was just a cheap "blasting" bullet. Still, the AR-Comp produced the smallest average groups, but not by much.

The other day I shot some 55-gr Nosler BT varmint bullets on top of 25.0 grs. AR-Comp, and they were just scary accurate. One-hole groups at 50 yds., average velocity 3010 fps. out of my 16.5" AR-15.

I get consistent higher velocities with lower pressures with AR-Comp, with lower charge weights. What's not to like?
Thank you for the reply, I am going to try it again at 24.0 to 25.0 grn with a 55 grn hornady soft point.