The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 4, 2014, 11:25 AM   #1
pctechdude

243 winchester accuracy report

So I was able to test my Rem 700 243 Winchester. 24 inch barrel, Boyd laminate thumb-hole stock, Nikon Buckmaster 6x18x40 BDC Scope.

I was utilizing 95gr Sierra Match Kings, and H4350. Started at a recommended 39 grains working up to 42 grains in half grain increments.

I loaded the bullets to magazine length, or 2.790".

The starting load group was okay, the 39.5 grain load was outstanding at 100 yards. I knew I already found the load, easy on me!

I shot the rest of the test rounds and was okay groups to looking like shotgun patterns.

I measured the 39.5 grain groups from edge to edge with a group of .273" for the five shots, some going through the same hole.

Next time out will be through the chronograph to see the velocity, deviations, etc...

Side Note, first time ever measuring my group, I always just look at it and say yup, that's pretty darn good to me, so if I goofed it up let me know!

Old June 4, 2014, 11:30 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Nice shooting!

I'm always curious about reports of wildly different groups sizes in doing load work ups. It obviously happens to a lot of folks but I have literally never seen it. I normally work up to max, look at all the nearly identical groups, give a puzzled look, say "Alrighty then" and then use the max loads.

For measuring groups sizes, (free!) OnTarget software is the bomb. Puzzling interface if you don't read the instructions first but it works great.
Old June 4, 2014, 11:32 AM   #3
pctechdude

Thanks, will have to give the ontarget a try, I'll see about uploading the other targets as well, if I can find them I wasn't impressed so I wasn't keeping track of them lol. Only the good ones survive!
Old June 4, 2014, 12:07 PM   #4
pctechdude

I can admit to doing the max load thing myself, only with pistol rounds though. I've only ever done two rifle work ups, the 243 Winchester and my AR-15.

I think I'll have to do the AR-15 target again and run it through the program. It groups almost identical, sometimes smaller if I am doing my part.

Funny thing is with the AR-15 load, I've ran that load through multiple .223 rifles and always the same accuracy as it is in mine. 5 ar-15's to date and 3 .223 bolt rifles (Savage, Remington, Ruger).

To say the least all my friends ask if I have any for them or to load them up some
Old June 4, 2014, 04:15 PM   #5
schmellba99

Nice shooting man.

Last time I did some load development for my .243 it was kind of fun to see the group size change between various powder charges. I actually started getting frustrated to some degree because the first 3 or 4 loads just grouped horribly (1.5" to 2" at 100). Then all of a sudden I hit the magic harmonics with 40.5 grains of H414 and the group was a single ragged hole.

It opened and closed again as I increased charge weights, but never got as good as the 40.5 charge. So that's where I sit. And it works.
Old June 4, 2014, 04:20 PM   #6
Mike / Tx

Great looking group there for sure. I would take that, day in and day out.

Mine likes the 95gr Nosler and shoot them like that but with 41grs of the same powder. The only draw back is they make a real mess out of whatever your putting them into.
Old June 4, 2014, 05:38 PM   #7
schmellba99

I rather like the half dollar sized exit wound my 95 grain BST's leave in white tail. If they run, they don't run far. And you could be near blind and still track them.

I've only had one issue with that load, and it was on a shot I probably should have displayed more patience on.
Old June 4, 2014, 07:01 PM   #8
pctechdude

I have some of 95gr noslers, and may try it someday, my uncle uses them and I've seen them destroy a groundhog at 500 yards. The only thing that turned me off was the box of 50 compared to the 100 count boxes sierra offers for the same price. But I guess that's just nit picky.

I only used the h4350 because my uncle bought it, and didn't mean to get that powder so he gave me the 8lb jug for free, unopened.
Old June 5, 2014, 09:29 AM   #9
AllenJ

Really nice group, congratulation. It's a great feeling when your rifle, and you, print groups like that.
Old June 5, 2014, 09:54 AM   #10
mikld

Oh Man! Low and left, you should be able to do better than that! JK! It's great when things come together, ain't it...
Old June 5, 2014, 11:50 AM   #11
pctechdude

Lol thanks! It is a great feeling indeed when it comes to printing great groups. On the low left I sighted in with a box of factory ammo so that's the only reason. Its adjusted now. And since the field is planted in beans, I can sit back and pick off some hogs at distance haha
Old June 6, 2014, 04:08 AM   #12
Mike / Tx

Quote:
I only used the h4350 because my uncle bought it, and didn't mean to get that powder so he gave me the 8lb jug for free, unopened.
Well to be honest, you got yourself a great deal right there. I use that powder for several different loads in different rifles and it works great for all of them. It works great in 150 and 165gr loads in a 30-06 as well.
Old June 6, 2014, 10:24 AM   #13
Wyoredman

Quote:
I always use H4350 in my .243. It works wonders, regardless what the internet says.

If you like Sierra bullets, I suggest the GameKings instead of the MatchKings, if you are going to use that .243 for hunting.

I killed several elk with a .243 and Sierra GameKing bullets propelled with H4350!

Good shooting.
Old June 7, 2014, 08:00 AM   #14
pctechdude

Yeah I was shocked that my uncle gave it to me, as he reloads everything. But I guess the nostalgia of having his nephew follow in his shoes was enough. None of his kids or grandkids reload.

I don't plan on doing any deer, but for the distance around here in central Ohio, I'm sure the matchkings will do a good job on a hog.
Old June 9, 2014, 04:07 AM   #15
hooligan1

Oh yeah thats what Im talkin about! H 4350 with 95 grn bullets, hmmmmm, I have some Nosler BTips that need to be tested in our .243, I think your on to something dude....
Old June 9, 2014, 06:04 AM   #16
4runnerman

Nice shooting guy. I love my 243 also. Never tried the 95's yet,but sure looks like I am going to now.
Old July 15, 2014, 11:01 AM   #17
pctechdude

So was out on the farm, beans coming up, about 6 inches high now, as I'm gazing off, low and behold a furry fat groundhog believes he is going to get a free meal.

Well I grabbed the 243, loaded up a 95gr match king, laser says 410 yards. I set up shop looking through the scope, I use the BDC on my Nikon, wait for a cross body shot.

As he turns, I squeeze, whoops forgot my damn hearing protection, ouch. Any who, look through the scope and I see him laying there. I walkout and cannot believe first I got him, second the damage. Bullet entered front of the shoulder exited left hind leg.

The matchking damn near cut him in half and took all the insides out with it.

Now as for hide wise, probably not a good choice but from what I seen its got pretty dang good terminal performance on small game.
Old July 15, 2014, 05:27 PM   #18
Mike / Tx

First off congrats on the great shot. I mounted one of the lesser powered BDC scopes on my grandsons rifle.

Huh hearing protection.....

Seriously I gotta admit, "IF" I know I am setting up for something like that type of a shot I always have something to put in or over my ears. I mean usually if your overlooking a big pasture or similar you USUALLY will have time to get ready for a shot without blowing things. My biggest issue is that I never know when something will be popping up from the tall grass or out of the brush, and usually when it does, it is in high gear to get across the pasture. Our hogs are usually a bit bigger as well..

The damage you see is what I was referring to on the BT's. I only shot one deer with them and it was a 100# doe I hit right through the onside leg, which then cut a 4-6" crescent shaped hole straight through the bottom of the rib cage. It literally took out the heart and almost both lungs. She ran about 50yds dead on her feet straight into a huge old Oak tree.

To be honest it was one of the wildest things I have ever witnessed. After the impact most everything in front of the diaphragm simply fell out the big hole and she ran off from it. When I touched the trigger she was standing still, but as the shot broke she took that half a step, and I got leg instead of just ribs.

After that we used up the rest of what I had on coyotes and such. They for the most part all looked about like what you described. I switched over to the Partitions for that rifle and never looked back.

The grandson is shooting up my supply of the 100gr Solid Bases I stashed away before they were all gone from the shelves. They shoot groups like yours from his Sako Hunter.
Old July 17, 2014, 09:54 PM   #19
RC20

Quote:
I'm always curious about reports of wildly different groups sizes in doing load work ups. It obviously happens to a lot of folks but I have literally never seen it. I normally work up to max, look at all the nearly identical groups, give a puzzled look, say "Alrighty then" and then use the max loads.
Brian, are you after range and trajectory rather than being easy on you and the gun?

Mine vary a lot as well and sometimes a good load has shot badly on a subsequent shoot so I continue to wonder (and the velocity variation is pretty good in the 40-60 feet spread area, or so I think)

What kind of guns, i.e. over the counter, heavy barrel or custom barrel actions?
Old July 18, 2014, 09:38 AM   #20
pctechdude

Yeah in rifles I don't normally find the sweet spot at max charge.

This past weekend was the first exception. Tried the nosler 95gr ballistic tips.

Loaded 5 each with H4350, start 39 max 42.

42 grains had excellent results loaded to 2.700" 5 shots one hole, they rivaled if not beat the sierra 95 grain matchkings.
Old July 18, 2014, 05:44 PM   #21
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC20
Brian, are you after range and trajectory rather than being easy on you and the gun?

Mine vary a lot as well and sometimes a good load has shot badly on a subsequent shoot so I continue to wonder (and the velocity variation is pretty good in the 40-60 feet spread area, or so I think)

What kind of guns, i.e. over the counter, heavy barrel or custom barrel actions?
My primary consideration is accuracy within an acceptable limit. If I get it, I don't obsess over another 0.1". For instance, if I can except 3/4MOA and I get 5/8 with a fast load and 1/2 with a slow one, I'm going to use the fast one.

However, I like light, fast bullets and I'm not exactly easy on the guns. I have loaded a .22-250 with 35gr Noslers pushing near 4,500fps, I loaded my .204Ruger up to 4,200fps with 32gr V-Max (just shy of 1gr over book max) and I have pushed a 6mm Rem with a 22" barrel and a .243AI with a 24" over 4,050fps with 55gr bullets. I also load a 7mm-08, 110gr Barnes TTSX to over 2,800fps from a 15" barrel, a load that would be pushing 3,300 in a 24".

The only load that's ever gone hokey on me is the 35gr Nosler. It was excellent for a few years, this last load cycle I went to F/L sizing with minimal shoulder bump instead of Lee collet only and simultaneously ran the powder bottle empty and switched lots. The load went from 1/2-3/4 MOA to 1.5-2MOA. I don't know which is to blame and we're out of those bullets anyway, so I will likely never know.
Old July 18, 2014, 10:03 PM   #22
schill32

I use a 95grn Nosler ballistic tip and IMR4350 @41.5grns shooting from my sako 243 #63 lever action and get the same great grouping as pctechdude.
Im only off the lanz 10,000ths. I love the rifle love the load and the way it shoots.
Old September 10, 2014, 05:46 AM   #23
Bennyfatsack

As all have said already "nice group". I haven't got them groups with 95 gr yet but got some awesome groups with a lucky and surprising load. 75gr Speer varmint (biggest hollow point opening I've seen in a 6mm bullet) with 44 gr of AR2209 (Aussie powder very similar to h4350) out shot my nosler 70gr loads I spent days tuning!
Quote..."They say the trouble with the Irish is that they rely too much on dreams and not enough on gunpowder. Whereas the English were shy on dreams, as usual, but had plenty of the other. Now we had both."
...Ned Kelly...
Old September 10, 2014, 07:19 AM   #24
trigger643

Very nice Grouping. .243 is on my short list of favorites...
Old September 10, 2014, 05:22 PM   #25
hooligan1

My new .243winchester gets dime size one hole groups, ten rounds, with Rl 22, and 115grain bergers......just braggin sorry....