The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 25, 2014, 12:44 AM   #1
40CalGuy

How rare are these Berettas and what would they run?

I just found out that there were a few models I may have been previously aware of and was just reminded existed, or was not aware of at all. If I can find them what should I expect them to run and if I am willing to pay it, where might I find these?

Billenium
92/96FS Competition
92/96FS Target
Steel 1
Old February 25, 2014, 12:54 AM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

You can find them on the used market if you poke around. Prices vary.

I know where there is a brand new Billennium for sale. Price last time I checked was $5K. SAW Firearms in Sunnyvale, TX. You'll have to call them. I don't see it on their website.
Old February 25, 2014, 02:27 AM   #3
Elerius

A lot of people are just going to tell you "whatever it's worth to you." On one hand I'm sure it's a pain when people constantly ask about common guns, say a Glock, rather then just look at current prices on Gunbroker, but I always find that answer irritating when asking about rare or limited edition guns, which you have. The best thing to do is look at former auctions, but some of them as in the case of a titanium Tomcat I'm looking for, were years ago and out of date.

I can help with the Steel. Unless someone has newer info, the Beretta Steel-1 should run $1300-$1500 in the 92 version. The 96 I'm not as sure, I've never seen one currently for sale (and been looking), they were imported but I've been told they're less desirable and therefore should run less money. This is helpful to know since when I started looking for one months ago, the only available model was a 92 on Gunbroker listed for $2400. If I'd had the money it would have been "worth it to me" because I really want one and didn't know any better, but now I know the price was ridiculous. I could have offered a little more then what one is actually worth and waited around for the seller to give up on his figure.

Honestly the best place to get the guns you're looking for is on Berettaforum. Just recently a member asked about the Steel, and several members had a few EXTRA ones just lying around, of all things.
Old February 25, 2014, 09:57 AM   #4
40CalGuy

thanks for the info guys. yikes almighty on the billenium. i'd take a lightly used one for half of that, but i'd probably get a colt python in that price range.

good info, and thanks for the heads up on the beretta forum. i'll go check it out.
Old February 25, 2014, 12:37 PM   #5
kcub

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=396014297

engraving on billenium is goofy in my opinion
Old February 25, 2014, 02:22 PM   #6
40CalGuy

I don't at all mind the engraving. it's the price that's goofy to me
Old February 25, 2014, 04:57 PM   #7
LockedBreech

I would love a Steel I. Beautiful guns.
Old February 25, 2014, 07:47 PM   #8
Morgo

92/96FS Competition
92/96FS Target

Those two are really the same thing. The Beretta 92fs Competition/Target model. 180mm or 190mm barrel, I'd have to check. You could buy the kits from memory to convert a standard 92fs though you would also have to find the grips.
Old February 25, 2014, 07:53 PM   #9
old bear

Quote:
it's the price that's goofy to me
Remember anyone can ask any price they want for any product. Getting that price may be a horse of a different color.

Many of the auction sites are full of overpriced guns that have been listed for months if not years. I have no idea why sellers would do something like this
Old February 26, 2014, 08:21 AM   #10
40CalGuy

morgo, you're right. the trouble is actually finding them. also, I saw your posts on several other forums in my searches yesterday. you lousy showoff
Old February 26, 2014, 09:15 AM   #11
kraigwy

The standard Beretta 92FS will shoot better then 99% of the people out there.

Yeah you can spend big bucks and make a super tight Bullseye gun, then reliability goes south, but that's ok, in bullseye you get allibies.

Or you can pay the lower price for an off the shelf 92FS, and spend the extra on ammo down range. In my opinion that is the way to go.

I have a Smith Model 52, WC target pistol, its about the most accurate target pistol out there. However when I stand on my hind legs, I cant shoot it any better then I can my Beretta.

But my Beretta will shoot and function with just about any junk bullet you can get in the magazine.

I like reliability, especially in a gun that can shoot a heck of a lot better then I can.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 26, 2014, 01:28 PM   #12
amd6547

The Billenium is on my short list if I win the powerball...of course, I would have to start playing powerball to make it happen.
They are beautiful examples of the gunmakers art.
Old February 26, 2014, 03:10 PM   #13
Morgo

"morgo, you're right. the trouble is actually finding them. also, I saw your posts on several other forums in my searches yesterday. you lousy showoff "

lol

Well here they are

Old February 26, 2014, 09:41 PM   #14
40CalGuy

where the heck did you score the competition kit and how long ago?

nice camera work, too.
Old February 26, 2014, 10:06 PM   #15
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
The standard Beretta 92FS will shoot better then 99% of the people out there.
That's true, and it doesn't seem to be well-known. Based on some of the testing results I've seen, a stock Beretta 92FS in good condition is going to be hard to beat for accuracy when compared to most other centerfire, locked-breech, semi-auto handguns in the same price range.
Old February 27, 2014, 01:32 AM   #16
Morgo

Last year I came across that one, all three of those actually This one is not the kit though, its matching slide barrel and frame which I think may be less common again, not sure though.

I looked up the serial number and its actually a 20 year old brand new handgun, it had been in storage with Beretta for 2 decades before a shop here got them, same one had the steel I and Combat, and sold them for good prices.