The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 29, 2013, 10:33 PM   #1
Joe_Pike

Who Would Do This Trade? RAMI for Shield.

I'm trying to sell a CZ RAMI in 9mm. I never shoot it, so, I thought I would just sell it. However, a guy wants to trade me a Shield 9mm with four magazines, a holster and 100 rounds of ammo. I really don't want a Shield either as it is a bit too large to pocket carry, but maybe I could sell it for the same amount and sell it quicker. What do you think?

Last edited by Joe_Pike; September 29, 2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old September 29, 2013, 10:40 PM   #2
TunnelRat

Check to make sure it isn't in need of the recall first.
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 29, 2013, 10:47 PM   #3
Dashunde

The Shield probably would sell quicker, but I'd rather have the RAMI.
Old September 30, 2013, 01:56 AM   #4
Elerius

If you're selling no matter what, I'd trade for the Shield and sell that, provided its not on the recall list. The gun shop near me has 20 people waiting for Shields, or at least they were a couple months ago and still hadn't received any. Either way there's a lot more people looking for them the Rami's.
Old September 30, 2013, 02:00 AM   #5
rs97

Something to consider is that RAMIS are a lot rarer than Shields. Just checked on Gunbroker, 3 RAMIS vs 93 Shields and RAMIS are more expensive.
Old September 30, 2013, 02:14 AM   #6
Psychedelic Bang

I would never trade a RAMI for a Shield.
Old September 30, 2013, 06:17 AM   #7
BILLG

The recall list is not a deal breaker. Nor is it a big deal as some are making it out to be.Get the Shield ck to see if its on the list. If so simply send it to S&W on their dime it will be fixed and returned to you at no charge.
Old September 30, 2013, 08:55 AM   #8
Kevin_d77

The Shield doesn't have a recall, it has a Safety Notice. And unlike the XDs, I have yet to personally hear of any needed to be sent back that weren't already caught at the store. That goes for here on the forum and in real life. There was no list to check for the safety notice, it was a physical check on the actual handgun. Read the sticky above for more information. On the off chance you do end up w a faulty one, since their issue isn't as wide spread as the XDs, I am sure your turn around time won't be nearly as bad as the 12 weeks being quoted by Springfield.
Old September 30, 2013, 03:11 PM   #9
TunnelRat

Quote:
The Shield doesn't have a recall, it has a Safety Notice.
That's like the difference between "used" and "pre-owned".

Quote:
I have yet to personally hear of any needed to be sent back that weren't already caught at the store.
Mine would have, but I sold it before the recall came about.

Quote:
There was no list to check for the safety notice, it was a physical check on the actual handgun.
Which to be honest with you concerns me more. It indicates to me that S&W has no idea which particular models are affected, just that when they do they exhibit a certain trait. I haven't even heard a reason why what was happening was happening yet. In that case I can't see how you could argue that there is no chance it might develop over time. Was it out of spec triggers, trigger bars, who knows? If they knew the parts and the batch numbers they could likely release a list of serial numbers like Springfield did.

Quote:
On the off chance you do end up w a faulty one, since their issue isn't as wide spread as the XDs, I am sure your turn around time won't be nearly as bad as the 12 weeks being quoted by Springfield.
Do we know what the "fix" is that S&W is doing? I'm legitimately curious.
Maintain situational awareness
Old September 30, 2013, 06:33 PM   #10
Elerius

If the OP wants to turn something around quickly, he probably doesn't want a Shield with a recall or safety notice, whatever it may be. Just asking for problems.

FWIW I would also much rather have the Rami then the Shield if I was keeping it, but for ease of sale (I presume NOT online?) I think the Shield would be faster.
Old September 30, 2013, 07:24 PM   #11
danez71

Id make the trade.

Even if you decided not to keep the Shield... I think there is a larger demand for the Shield than the RAMI.
Old October 1, 2013, 05:26 AM   #12
IdahoG36

I wouldn't trade a RAMI for a shield. The RAMI will sell for more used than a Shield will new. I believe that you are getting the short end of the deal.

I have been trying to trade my Springfield XDs .45 with night sights for a 9mm RAMI. I have always wanted one, so I decided to see if anybody wanted to trade. I haven't found anybody yet that wants to part with their RAMI. My XDs is currently at the mother ship for the recall. Once I get it back, I am going to try and trade it for a RAMI again.
Old October 1, 2013, 09:41 PM   #13
.38Catt

Why get trade a gun you really do not want for a gun you really don't want?

.38Catt
Old October 1, 2013, 10:17 PM   #14
Joe_Pike

Quote:
Why get trade a gun you really do not want for a gun you really don't want?
I thought maybe I would be able to trade it for something I did want, but decided it wasn't worth the hassle to find out.
Old October 2, 2013, 01:10 AM   #15
JimmyR

First off, is this an alloy Rami or a poly Rami?

The Rami's in either condition are tough to find, and generally command higher prices. I would check completed auctions on gunbroker to see what people are actually paying for them, and compare that to the going prices for Shields with the extras he is throwing in.
Old October 2, 2013, 06:53 PM   #16
K31Scout

I'd make the trade. Gun, holster, 4 mags, 100 rounds ammo and a lifetime warranty and you don't even shoot the CZ.

Any 6 year old can tell if the Shield is part of the safety alert (completely different from a recall) by looking at the trigger (see S&M web site for a no BS explanation). Shields go fast on gunbroker.
Old October 2, 2013, 07:04 PM   #17
Pilot

I would not trade an alloy framed RAMI for a Shield. If I wanted a Shield, I'd sell the RAMI which is worth more, then buy a Shield, and pocket the difference. Also the RAMI isn't that much bigger than the Shield, although it is a bit thicker being double stack.
Old October 2, 2013, 07:14 PM   #18
Joe_Pike

The thing is, I already have a Shield-sized gun - a Kahr P9 and it's just a little too tall to pocket carry. That's why I wouldn't trade to keep the S&W. I have the RAMI with 3 magazines listed locally at $525 but no bites yet. And, it is an alloy framed RAMI.
Old October 2, 2013, 07:34 PM   #19
SpareMag

Post on the CZ corum and the Rami will probably be snapped up:

http://www.czfirearms.us/
Old October 2, 2013, 11:38 PM   #20
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Pike
The thing is, I already have a Shield-sized gun - a Kahr P9 and it's just a little too tall to pocket carry. That's why I wouldn't trade to keep the S&W. I have the RAMI with 3 magazines listed locally at $525 but no bites yet. And, it is an alloy framed RAMI.

Too bad I'm not local for you....
Old October 3, 2013, 04:57 AM   #21
kcub

CZ > S&W
Old October 4, 2013, 06:24 PM   #22
jreXD9

I would never do that swap. My Rami and PCR D are the best handguns I've had (28) and that includes Springfield, Glock, Sigs, Kimber, S&W, Para, Walther, Kahr...what else? Keep the Rami even if you're not shooting it. You'll regret it if you move it.