The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 21, 2013, 09:25 AM   #1
Gbnk82

Getting non shooters interested

Two weeks ago i took a buddy from work out shooting for the first time after talking about it for a few weeks..after only two hours at the range he is officially hooked for two weeks straight he has been asking me hundreds of gun questions good makes models calibers and after a call last night i am meeting him today to go gun shopping as he wants to buy his own first firearm..he found the ruger blackhawk online and said he loves it so he is going to try and find one to look at in person.

Anyway just wanted to share this with everyone its to bad everyone wouldnt take the time to truly learn and appreciate firearms if any of these anti gun politicians would spend 30 minutes at the range learning about proper gun use i can bet the large majority would change there outlook..Anyway enough rambling from me wish my friend luck in finding a good deal on a good firearm today.ill keep updated if he makes a purchase
Old August 21, 2013, 09:38 AM   #2
SamNavy

Just for the sake of being ..., I'll suggest that a Ruger Blackhawk isn't the best first gun. Congrats on living in Florida however where the choices are endless, ranges are everywhere, and getting an CCW is a no-brainer.

I'd also suggest that he take an actual firearms course taught by a professional. I've been shooting for years, have tons of military training, and made my reluctant wife finally take the NRA Basic Pistol course with a girlfriend about a year ago... she came home and our discussion about the class actually made me want to go take it.

Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; August 21, 2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old August 21, 2013, 09:46 AM   #3
Gbnk82

Yes i had suggested to him that. 357 might be a bit much for a first gun i had suggested a sr22 or 10/22 to him to get use to shooting and cheap fun but he is convinced he wants a revolver i am going to try and talk him into something in .22 still.i told him no matter what he gets he should learn his gun inside and out before shooting it and make sure he it feels right in his hands.
Old August 21, 2013, 02:16 PM   #4
southjk

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 357 as a first gun. It was mine when I was 24 and I loved it.
Old August 21, 2013, 04:26 PM   #5
Gbnk82

Well after going to 3the places he didnt find anything he wanted and is pretty much set on the blackhawk..i did manage to talk him into spending the little extra to get the combo that also comes with a 9mm cylinder to help him save a bit on ammo and if to help learn the gun without any harsh recoil..in any matter i was very happy to get someone else interested in guns
Old August 21, 2013, 08:05 PM   #6
NRAInstructor

A .357 will be fine for him. He can shoot .38's too. I would recommend a double action, around a 4 - 5 inch barrel unless he's looking for CC.

Also try to hook him up with a basic course near you. He'll learn and have a good time.

Then take him shooting!

PS - are you talking a .44mag Blackhawk or .357. I'd say the .44 is a bit much for most people other than a few rounds for fun.
Old August 21, 2013, 08:26 PM   #7
SgtLumpy

Quote:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 357 as a first gun
This ^^^

I'd even say that there is no better gun to start with, and no collection should be without, a 357. You can shoot light 38s that are as light as a pellet gun. Or you can shoot big, powerful magnums if you like. It's not like magnums really ARE that monsterous. The idea that all beginners should start with a rubberband gun and after hours and months of professional training graduate up through 22s, then 38s, then magnums or whatever "graduation ladder" is silly, IMO.

In this case, we're talking about a NON-shooter. We have the chance here to win him over or to lose him. Encumber him too much with all the baby steps and we're more likely to bore him or in some other way help him to lose interest.

Get him a Blackhawk if that's what he wants.

Sgt Lumpy
Old August 21, 2013, 09:13 PM   #8
lefteye

Quote:
Quote:
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a 357 as a first gun

This ^^^

I'd even say that there is no better gun to start with, and no collection should be without, a 357.
I respectfully disagree. A small daughter, 8 to 18 years old and weighing perhaps 90 lbs., should not be introduced to firearms by shooting a .357 Magnum. In my opinion that is ABSURD!

Many adult handgun shooters never shoot any handgun with more recoil or muzzle blast than a .357 Mag. How can that cartridge be the best beginner load?

A .22 rimfire is the best introductory cartridge for anyone younger and smaller than an NFL linebacker. PLEASE - give them a chance. My wife and daughters are not gun nuts but they have enjoyed shooting a Ruger Mk II Bull Barrel .22. I am sure they would have been shocked and scared if they had shot my SP 101 .357 Mag their first time at the range.

Last edited by lefteye; August 21, 2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old August 21, 2013, 09:45 PM   #9
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefteye
I respectfully disagree. A small daughter, 8 to 18 years old and weighing perhaps 90 lbs., should not be introduced to firearms by shooting a .357 Magnum. In my opinion that is ABSURD!

Many adult handgun shooters never shoot any handgun with more recoil or muzzle blast than a .357 Mag. How can that cartridge be the best beginner load?
Lefteye, they're referring to buy a .357 magnum revolver as a first gun, but not necessarily shooting .357s out of that gun. A .357 loaded with .38s can be a great first gun.

The great thing about a .357 magnum is it allows beginners to shoot super-light, easy-to-shoot .38 target loads, but they can try shooting .357 loads through it whenever they're ready.

Provided the daughter is strong enough to hold and pull the trigger on something as large as a K-frame S&W .357 or a Ruger GP100 (or even a steel J-frame or an SP101), shooting one of these with light target .38 loads would be a great choice for her.

Sure, I agree that a .22 is a great first gun, but a decent-sized steel-framed .357 loaded with .38s is a good first gun too.
Old August 21, 2013, 09:49 PM   #10
jimbob86

Quote:
Of all my handguns, my 6" .357 Colt Trooper is the hands down favorite of all of my daughters ...... they just feed it .38 target loads....... 4.6 grains of 700X under a 125gr plated bullet works great for bringing smiles to little girls faces!
Old August 22, 2013, 05:22 PM   #11
North East Redneck

If your friend is of average size and strength, I see no problem with his choice of a Blackhawk in .357. Shoot .38 in it, get used to it. I would not give my kid or wife a .357 to shoot as a first gun. They have small hands and recoil I don't even notice bothers them.
Tell your buddy to go for the Ruger.
Old August 22, 2013, 06:59 PM   #12
chriscw81

good on you for introducing someone to responsible gun ownership!!
Old August 22, 2013, 09:49 PM   #13
Gbnk82

Yeah i told him to look for lighter loads of. 38 to start and move up if he is comfortable.he shot 3for of my guns a .22 remington rifle a ruger 9mm and my sks he liked the 9the most of all and was very good with it for a begginer.i think he will be happy with the. 357 having versatility in rounds and he got bored rather fast with my. 22