The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 11, 2013, 01:45 PM   #1
shafter

Charter Bulldog Question

I was looking at a Charter Arms Bulldog today and I wanted to buy it but I have a question before I do. The cylinder has a decent amount of wobble to it, however, when I cock the hammer and lower it back down with the trigger still depressed the lockup is quite solid. Does this sound ok or is it something to stay away from? There was no endshake that I could detect.

Thanks
Old January 11, 2013, 02:14 PM   #2
Nasty

Lockup is critical when the hammer falls.

Beyond that is a luxury.
Old January 11, 2013, 02:54 PM   #3
psyfly

Yup. That's the way they were made to work.

If it's a Bridgeport or Stratford model, go for it.

W
Old January 11, 2013, 06:14 PM   #4
Ozzieman

I have one myself and after over 500 rounds of factory it’s still tight with the hammer down and trigger fully pulled.
One of the best articles on checking out a firearm was placed on TFL. I suggest you read it, it’s a wealth of information.
Just wish I was smart enough to have written it.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57816

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old January 12, 2013, 06:39 AM   #5
lowercase

I have an older Stratford 3" model (Son of Sam special) currently on layaway. It looks barely used, but does have a little bit of wobble, even in "full lockup". Not too crazy about the wobble, but I don't think it's a huge problem (I sure HOPE it's not a huge problem!). The gun doesn't have any endshake.

My main carry piece is a current production 2.5 stainless .44 Bulldog that locks up like a bank vault. I also have 3 vintage Charters (2 Undercovers and 1 Police Bulldog .38) that lock up solid.

Hoping to hear from some of the other vintage Bulldog owners out there on if a little side to side wobble at lockup is okay. I've seen where vintage Bulldog owners will say that their guns are a little loose (sometimes from trying to "hotrod" the loads), but they still shoot okay.
Old January 12, 2013, 08:27 AM   #6
Ozzieman

End shake, mine is also a Stanford with the 3 inch and bobbed hammer.
With the cylinder out there is some end shake but it’s the crane that moves at the attachment to the frame. When it’s locked into the frame there is a small amount of play.
I shoot mostly lead and since it doesn’t shave lead I don’t worry about it. Let’s face it, it’s not an N frame S&W built in the 60’s.
Just make sure the screw at the front of the frame that holds the crane to the frame is tight. Check that it doesn’t move but don’t crank on it with a screwdriver.
I have an undercover 38 I purchased for my mother back in the early 80’s. It hasn’t had more than 30 rounds through it. With the cylinder out of the gun the amount of movement is the same as my Bulldog but locked up in the frame with trigger pulled and hammer down there’s no discernible movement of the cylinder.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old January 12, 2013, 11:47 AM   #7
shafter

Thanks for the information. I'm still on the fence about it since it isn't something I need right away.