The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 2, 2012, 05:15 PM   #1
kealil

Shotshell loading = feasible?

Hey all!

So I've been truly bitten by the bug and looking for every excuse to reload and now I'm looking for any excuse to reload. (thank god my wife actually allows me SOME cash for this(but not too much!))

I currently have .410 and 12 gauge shotguns and am looking into reloading for them. Their ammo prices aren't TOO bad but I look for any opportunity to save a little on the bottom line( especially on the .410).

I have any opportunity to buy a lee load all, mostly complete, for about $30(this includes the dies for 12 gauge). I also cast my own boolits and am more than willing to buy a new mould if need be.

So is it worth it on a price standpoint to reload these two calibers? Can anyone give a primer on shotshell reloading: the process, whats needed, and any tips for the inexperienced?

appreciate it!
Old July 2, 2012, 05:46 PM   #2
a7mmnut

The .410 will always be worth reloading, the rest not so much. With the giant hikes n metal prices, look overseas to get better deals. The Lee isn't made in .410 bore.

-7-
Old July 2, 2012, 07:04 PM   #3
BigJimP

MEC is probably the most widely sold shotshell loaders out there ...and they have models in all gaugues...from the lower end single stage presses to the higher end hydraulic actuated progressive presses....

I load all 4 gagues of shotshells..on MEC progressives...and with the cost of shot driving the numbers....a 12ga 1 oz shell is about $ 4.50 for a box of 25 shells...( but you're loading a higher quality shell - than you can buy for the cheap promo shells ( Estate, Rio, etc ) .....and its about $ 2.25 for a box of 25 shells in .410 with 9's ....or about $ 4.00 for a box of .410's in OO Buck ( if for some reason that's what you'd want to load ) .... 4 pellets of OO Buck make up 1/2 oz of shot in a .410 shell ....

MEC has a good website...and manuals on line ...so you can easily see how to reload a shotshell. Lots of used MEC single stage or low to mid level MEC machines for sale all the time at the local gunshows.../ they're good solid machines.
Old July 2, 2012, 07:57 PM   #4
jaguarxk120

Start shopping at sprtsmans swaps or flea markets, you can find used MEC presses for good prices. At a car swap I picked up a MEC 650 in 12 ga. and a MEC 600Jr(410ga) for $50. just gottta keep looking. Try craigs list search for reloading.
Any MEC machine will do what you want, the load all for $30 is like throwing your money out the window.
Old July 3, 2012, 05:54 AM   #5
darkgael

Another vote for MEC presses. I have five of them (12/20/.410)
The .410 press makes perfect shells and is definitely the way to go if you shoot that narrow bore.
The larger gauges.....how worthwhile it is depends on how much you have to pay for shot.
Pete
Old July 3, 2012, 06:22 AM   #6
FrankenMauser

Getting one of the .410 conversions for a Lee Load-All is nearly impossible. There are a small number of older .410 Load-Alls (not the Load-All II) on the market, but you'll pay nearly the price of an MEC for them. There are no Load-All IIs or conversions available for .410 bore. (Lee eliminated .410 bore, 28 ga, and 10 ga when they went to the cheaper base for the Load-All II and conversions.)

I'd definitely recommend a proper shotshell press for .410, even though there are dies available for standard reloading presses.

I do my 12 ga reloading on a Lee Load-All, but I wouldn't recommend it. It gets the job done and I got it cheap; but it's a cheap design and has a lot of limitations. If you want to give shotshell reloading a try, with a minimal investment, it's definitely an option. But, keep in mind that it's the components that kill you, and you'll end up wanting to replace the press with something better if you stick with reloading.
Shot, as mentioned by other posters, is what drives the price of reloads. Find a cheap source. I buy reclaimed shot from a local redneck that sells it at about $0.70/lb. He screens, washes, re-graphites, and "bags" it in his backyard. (...his idea of "bagging" the shot is loading 15 lbs in Mountain Dew bottles. ) It's everything from #6 to #9, with the occasional steel pellet and rare #10-#12 pellet mixed in; but it breaks clays just as well as shot that costs 2 or 3 times as much.
Old July 3, 2012, 10:38 AM   #7
LarryFlew

Not sure of your location but here there are a LOT of MEC reloaders on Craigslist almost all of the time.
Old July 3, 2012, 09:04 PM   #8
hk33ka1

The Lee Load All 2 in 12ga can be had new and complete for $45 from FS Reloading in WI. I wouldn't bother with used.

For .410 I bought a MEC 600jr. Those can be had used for quite a bit less.

I've noticed a lot of people getting out of shot shell loading as they get older and or the component prices go up. For most people in standard gauges not as much savings as with rifle loading. For 28ga .410 etc or those who use special loads or shoot thousands of skeet etc there can still be savings. I added the gear to do 12,20 and 410 along with some molds but dont really find myself loading them much lately.
Old July 4, 2012, 01:02 AM   #9
Edward429451

To me, loading for shotguns is about more than savings. It's about liking to shoot my own ammo, and knowing that if there's a shortage, I'm covered. I make my own shot (6-7-8) and cast my own Foster slugs. I load on a Mec Grabber press bought used and it's bulletproof so far. I don't shoot as much shotgun as I used to but it's nice to have it rounded out.
Old July 4, 2012, 07:41 AM   #10
PA-Joe

Most shotguns shells are loaded with lead shot so there is no casting involved. You buy a 25 pound bag of shot. Process is almost the same as rifle/pistol. Deprime and size hull, prime, drop powder, insert wad, drop shot, start crimp, crimp.
Old July 4, 2012, 01:54 PM   #11
zippy13

Be advised, .410-bore hulls are a LOT MORE finicky to reload than 12-ga hulls. While 12-ga hulls are bascially as simple as PA-Joe describes, the little hulls are a different story. May I suggest, do yourself a favor and get well acquainted loading 12-ga before you try .410s.