The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 12, 2000, 02:46 AM   #1
Espresso

I have a Colt 1991 with five hundred rounds of Federal and Hornady ball fired through it. I'd like to fix this myself if I can. The problem is a failure to go into battery. It occurs every 50-70 rounds. The round strips off the mag just fine but hangs up just before going into battery. A tap at the rear of the slide knocks the round into battery every time. So far I've replaced the recoil spring to an 18 lb. weight. Everything else is factory stock. The pistol is kept properly lubed. The pistol functions fine otherwise. I think I'd like to polish the feed ramp and bolt face next. Suggestions? Also does anyone know where I can purchase some emery cloth in southern California?
Old January 12, 2000, 08:03 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Expresso, there are three reasons for this happening. 1) bulged ammo; 2) dirty chamber 3) barrel incorrectly fitted. Since you're using factory ammo and it doesn't happen with much frequency I would suspect #2. While not one of the big 3 causes a relaxed grip can result in this as well. Clean the chamber thoroughly and concentrate on keeping your wrist locked while firing. I believe you'll find the problem will disappear. Emery cloth is available in most hardware stores. George
Old January 12, 2000, 08:34 PM   #3
Espresso

Thanks,

I think I found the problem. While cleaning the pistol after shooting it today, I noticed something odd with the barrel link. The link had a big enough burr on it which rubbed on the lug. A little filing with a dremmel tool removed the burr. No failures in the 200 rounds shoot today. As for the emery cloth the hardware stores around here are the big club type stores like Home Depot which don't seem to carry the stuff.
Old January 12, 2000, 11:08 PM   #4
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Expresso, order some from Brownells at www.brownells.com. George
Old January 14, 2000, 12:40 AM   #5
Espresso

Thanks George. Will do.
Old January 14, 2000, 05:16 PM   #6
BigT

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Espresso:
Thanks George. Will do.[/quote]
Espresso, you can usually find emery cloth in the plumbing section of the big warehouse home improvement stores. HTH, Tom. Plumbers use it to clean copper pipe before soldering.