The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 10, 2005, 08:58 PM   #1
longspurr

hardest large pistol primer??

I’m looking for the hardest large pistol primer for reloading. CCI – Winchester – Federal-Remington are the usual suspects that come to mind for available primers.

I purchased a Taurus snubby and tried it out with 2 brands of Cowboy ammo to get some light recoil practice with it. With both the brands I got 4 of the 5 rounds per cylinder to go bang when shooting double action. After cleaning – lubing the problem is still with me. I next polished the hammer on one side where I saw drag marks & tried again. I reloaded 25 of the empty cases with a test load. It worked perfectly! All 25 went bang.

Then I remembered I was using Federal primers for the loads. I know Federal is the most sensitive primer for large pistol so perhaps I really didn’t cure the gun problem – I just found a work around. For a defense pistol I want better reliability with all ammo. In order to test my pistolsmithing I’m looking for the HARDEST large pistol primer so I can tell when the pistol is really reliable.

After I get the pistol 100% with reloads then I will switch to factory loads for defense testing. For those that say just send the gun to Taurus – a search concerning Taurus repair makes me think I will enrich UPS for 1 or more 6 week / 6 month service trips and still not fix a marginal problem like this.
Old May 10, 2005, 09:48 PM   #2
Lycanthrope

Cci.
Old May 10, 2005, 09:56 PM   #3
CaptainRazor

+2 Cci
Old May 10, 2005, 11:35 PM   #4
G56

CCI has the least sensitive primers, if your pistol will reliably fire CCI's they should work with anything!

I have a customized PPC revolver, it will only work with Federal primers, the most sensitive primers, all the springs have been lightened to yield the best possible double action trigger.
Old May 11, 2005, 12:37 AM   #5
longspurr

Thank you for your input about CCI. From reading other topics that was what I was thinking but it is good to have an idea confirmed. Tomorrow I will find some CCI primers and start testing.

From what I have read on various posts about Taurus revolvers this is a common problem (lite primer strikes). I am surprised that when checking Wolff gun springs site they only show REDUCED springs for the Taurus large frame. You would think they might research what is needed before they offer a product.
Old May 12, 2005, 12:21 AM   #6
41special

As far as primers CCI for sure.

As far as taurus I've got a post in the revolver forum about the warranty. At least my experience was fast, and no sweat.

Was there a single action double action difference in ignition ?

An old west lawman once said when asked why he carried a .45, "because they don't make a .46"

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal.