The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 7, 2016, 12:53 PM   #1
rebs

magnum small pistol primer ?

Normally I load 357 mag cases with 2.7 of bullseye and a 148 gr hbwc with a small pistol primer. Now I have a bunch of 357 mag cases already primed with small magnum pistol primers, what would the effect be on my standard load with the magnum primer instead of a standard primer ? Would it change the load much or will it be safe ?
Old May 7, 2016, 01:06 PM   #2
briandg

Not certain, but it should be safe with that load, imo, I don't believe that a magnum primer is capable of raising the bar on such a small load of easily ignited powder. Bullseye ignites so easily that it seems unlikely that a magnum primer will increase ignition.
Old May 7, 2016, 01:07 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

100% plus safe. You might see a bit of increased pressure, but not enough to worry about. You might need to tweak the load a bit too.
You don't need magnum primers for .357 Mag loads either. Magnum primers have nothing whatever to do with the cartridge name. They're about the powder used, only.
Old May 7, 2016, 01:21 PM   #4
briandg

True, imo, I've never loaded magnums in my .357. The magnum primer is mostly related to case capacity and composition of the powder. .357 maximum using full loads of s lo powder, for example.
Old May 7, 2016, 03:07 PM   #5
Hammerhead

Might even have a slight decrease in pressure and velocity from the magnum primer pushing the bullet forward before the powder gets going.
Old May 7, 2016, 03:21 PM   #6
Nick_C_S

I'm with the others . . . You're not going to even notice the difference.

I once ran out of regular primers (CCI 500) with a similar loading (38 wadcutters), and I just substituted with CCI 550's and never even noticed the difference.

If we were talking a high performance/pressure round, we would be having a different conversation.
Old May 7, 2016, 06:05 PM   #7
Average Joe

Most likely an increase of about 60 FPS. Nothing that you would even notice.
Old May 7, 2016, 06:20 PM   #8
BillM

Loaded 9mm with regular small pistol. Medium load, USPSA minor.

When primers were hard to get, picked up some magnum primers.

Same brass/bullet/powder/OAL.

Magnum loads were an average of 10 fps faster. Yup---ten.

What was interesting is that the extreme spread dropped from
20-25 fps down to under 10. The magnum primers were doing a much
better job of getting the powder lit up!

The only downside of using magnum instead of small pistol is with
small charges/low pressure plinking ammo, you may see some gas
leakage around the primer. Thicker primer cup, low pressure won't
get it sealed 100%. Never had it happen myself.
Old May 7, 2016, 10:05 PM   #9
briandg

Bill, there is also the question of whether the striker or h hammer would work, in some guns, but seriously, that Smith would have no issues. My stupid little .380 won't even function with plain cci. Over the last year, good Lord, I've run into so many petty little problems related to both factory and handloads that I'm at my wits end.
Old May 8, 2016, 07:53 AM   #10
dahermit

Quote:
The only downside of using magnum instead of small pistol is with
small charges/low pressure plinking ammo, you may see some gas
leakage around the primer. Thicker primer cup, low pressure won't
get it sealed 100%. Never had it happen myself.
How do you know that magnum primers have thicker cups than standard primers? From what I understand, the only difference between a standard primer and a magnum primer is the brusiance of the burning primer compound.
Old May 8, 2016, 08:31 AM   #11
NoSecondBest

Got to love the internet for getting a good answer. The laws of probability say that one of them might be correct. Now to figure out which one...... The most probable one (at least the one I agree with the most) is that it's safe to shoot. Other than that, unless someone actually did some measurement with this scenario, they're just guessing. FWIW, I use magnum primers about 90% of the time and I have for years. I back all my loads off by 10% from what they're called for with standard primers and go from there. I do this so that I only have to keep one primer on hand and I never run out. Also, the cup thickness on handgun primers is the same whether it's a magnum or standard....again from the manufacturer. Those that chronographed some loads and offered some info are on the right track with providing an answer. Lots of answers are simply R&R answers (Read and Regurgitate). R&R answers are the least reliable. If in doubt, go to the source for reliable info.
Old May 8, 2016, 11:44 AM   #12
kerreckt

I wouldn't worry about it. Go out and shoot them. I have done similar things on purpose and no damage was done. Hardly notice the difference.
Old May 10, 2016, 12:58 AM   #13
Hook686

I load .357 magnum using Alliant 2400 powder also. A few years ago I noticed that Alliant show magnum primers, where previously they showed standard primers. I inquired about the change. The response I received was essentially that that was what they had on the shelf the day they did the testing. Figure .1 to .2 grains of powder going from standard to magnum primers is my thought on the matter.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old May 10, 2016, 03:02 PM   #14
TimSr

I'm pretty sure your 357 magnum will still be safe with a magnum primer under your 2.7gr Bullseye load. You may notice more variation in velocity, or less, or none. You may notice smaller, larger, or the same size groups. Most likely you might not see a difference.
Old May 11, 2016, 06:28 AM   #15
rebs

Thank you for all the replies, I appreciate it I will