The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 13, 2011, 10:15 PM   #1
robertsig

Hollon safes are 9 gauge?

I see that the Hollon Republic safes are listed with 9 gauge steel. That is a lot thicker than 12 gauge used on most Chinese safes. What puzzles me is the Hollon is around the same weight as most 11-12 gauge safes of the same size. The Winchester Silverado is an example. Same dimensions, weighs more, but only 12 gauge.

Can anyone speculate why the Hollon is lighter? Or is it a bogus claim?

I want something better than 12 gauge. The 7 gauge safes are too heavy & expensive for me, but something decent in 9-11 gauge would be at least a step up, if for nothing other than the knuckle test.
Old December 13, 2011, 10:42 PM   #2
Don H

The Winchester appears to have more fire-proofing material - there's 2" of material in the Winchester vs. a total wall thickness of 1.25" in the Hollon RSC. That might account for the weight difference.
Old December 13, 2011, 11:11 PM   #3
a1abdj

9 gauge is heavier than 12 gauge, but "a lot thicker" is probably subjective.

9 gauge steel is .1495", and 12 gauge is .1046". That's a difference of .0449" or 1/25th of an inch.

If given the choice, you should always get as much steel as you can, but the whole gauge war going on between gun safe manufacturers is crazy. The difference is so small, we're talking very small fractions of an inch.
Old December 14, 2011, 06:26 AM   #4
robertsig

How front-heavy are these safes? With the Hollon's massive 5 inch door, would I have a problem with it toppling over before I mount it to the floor?
Old December 14, 2011, 09:58 AM   #5
a1abdj

Some safes do tend to be a bit front heavy, and all safes should be bolted to the floor regardless.

The "massive" 5" door isn't a solid steel plate. It's just the measurement from front to back, and will consist of the outer door plate (1/4" I believe", insulation, and door cavity that houses the boltwork. The wider safes tend to be more front heavy than the safes with more narrow dimensions.
Old December 14, 2011, 10:22 AM   #6
robertsig

Your G5931 safe is on my short list. I'm just worried it might be too heavy for me to handle. What is the depth of your Zykan including the handle?