The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 10, 2020, 09:11 AM   #1
gaseousclay

My S&W M&P 2.0 has finally arrived

I got a call from my LGS a couple days ago to let me know my S&W finally arrived. I'll be picking it up in a couple of days, so i'm pretty excited considering I've waited over 3 months for the thing.

My question, this is my first handgun purchase, and outside of a safety class, what upgrades should I invest in? Should I get new sights, or are the factory sights decent enough? What about a holster? I have no immediate plans for CCW but am mainly thinking of an OWB kydex holster for a safety class. I'm currently researching tactical lights, a Vaultek safe and plan on buying a couple of spare magazines, but i'm open to other suggestions/recommendations.

Right now I have about 600-700 rounds of 9mm ammo and a Pelican 1170 case for range use. I don't have a cleaning kit yet either, but this is something that i'll eventually buy. I just wanted to know, of the things listed above, which do you think is the most important? Thanks!
Old October 10, 2020, 09:41 AM   #2
peterg7

I like to keep my SD guns stock so my M&P9C is as it came from factory.

Holsters and ammo are expensive enough and when training classes are factored in that’s about all I can scrape up money wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old October 10, 2020, 09:43 AM   #3
Arrowhead37

Congratulations on getting your first handgun. If it is anything like the one my son-in-law just purchased the Apex trigger kit would be my suggestion. The trigger on his is pretty bad. Having owned an M&P, now passed on to a grandson, I was surprised at just how bad this new gun is in the trigger department. I hope yours is better.
Old October 10, 2020, 10:08 AM   #4
gbclarkson

A trigger upgrade would be a big help. There are many M&P gunsmiths out in the websphere, including Smith and Wesson's in-house performance center.

However, I recommend getting used to it first. After several range sessions you may decide that your M&P, as is, satisfies your needs and shooting ability.
Old October 10, 2020, 10:17 AM   #5
Sharkbite

If it was a first gen M&P a trigger MIGHT be in your future. The 2.0 triggers are good right out of the box

Im an admitted trigger snob, 1911’s, custom Glocks and ALL of my 1st gen M&Ps have after market triggers. My 2.0 compact trigger is bone stock. Its the gun i EDC. Its the gun i teach all my handgun classes with. It would be my handgun of choice for a SHTF/riot type event.

Mine did not come with night sights...so i added those. Other then that its good to go, right out of the box.

One caveat, the stippling on the frame is SHARP. I took a very fine grit sandpaper and LIGHTLY took off the sharp tips of the texture. A couple of light swipes is all it takes. Think of each point as a pyramid. You just want the tip softened.
Old October 10, 2020, 12:59 PM   #6
michaelcj

I have a 2nd gen 2.0 with the laser sight..... trigger is just fine from the manufacture.

If you are set on spending more $$$ on this well designed weapon....

I'd suggest purchasing a spare [or 2] "extended" 8 round magazine as they provide a more comfortable and secure grip than the 7 round "shorty". The gun comes with one of each.
Old October 10, 2020, 01:12 PM   #7
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelcj View Post
I have a 2nd gen 2.0 with the laser sight..... trigger is just fine from the manufacture.

If you are set on spending more $$$ on this well designed weapon....

I'd suggest purchasing a spare [or 2] "extended" 8 round magazine as they provide a more comfortable and secure grip than the 7 round "shorty". The gun comes with one of each.
The OP did not specify whether it was a Shield or not, so we have to guess which model they have.
Old October 10, 2020, 01:52 PM   #8
gaseousclay

Mine is not the Shield. It’s the 4” compact that can hold 15 rounds

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...-m20-4-compact
Old October 10, 2020, 01:58 PM   #9
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseousclay View Post
Mine is not the Shield. It’s the 4” compact that can hold 15 rounds

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...-m20-4-compact
Nice guns. I have one, too.
Old October 10, 2020, 02:47 PM   #10
jetinteriorguy

Just shoot it, that’s all you really need to do.
Old October 10, 2020, 03:12 PM   #11
shurshot

First handgun? Stick to it, shoot it often and enjoy it. Stock S&W M&P's are pretty good as is.
Old October 10, 2020, 03:49 PM   #12
sevt_chevelle

For lights I like Streamlight TLR-1, they are proven lights.
Holsters, Ive really become fond of JM custom holsters.

Me personally, I hate 3 dot sights which S&W uses. My S&W Shield now wears Ameriglo Hackathorn sights and the M&P9c wears an Ameriglo pro glow front sight with a custom made Dawson precision rear sight.
Old October 10, 2020, 09:45 PM   #13
totaldla

Here's a good retention paddle-style I use for my 4" m&p

https://www.amazon.com/TEGE-Holster-...ef_=ast_sto_dp
Old October 10, 2020, 11:35 PM   #14
Omaha-BeenGlockin

I have 2---the only thing I've done is buy extra mags.

Also have a 2015 made Gen 1 .40 that actually has a decent trigger.
-------Metallica
Old October 12, 2020, 06:51 AM   #15
Spats McGee
Staff

Congratulations on your first handgun purchase. I'd suggest shooting it for a while before investing in upgrades.
Old October 13, 2020, 08:01 AM   #16
jmhyer

+1 for doing nothing to it until you have learned to use it well.

+ 1 for getting at least 2 extra mags.

Get a an Uplula mag loader and spend the rest of your money picking up ammo when and where you can find it.

I agree that the 2.0 trigger is just fine out of the box.

Don't worry about a cleaning kit. You will be better off just picking up the basics separately. Cleaning rod, bore brush, solvent and oil (or just a CLP). And use some old cotton rags or microfiber clothes for wiping down. Old tshirts can be cut into smaller patch-sized pieces. And a cheap toothbrush is good for scrubbing out smaller nooks and crannies.
Old October 13, 2020, 09:14 AM   #17
totaldla

Check Sportsman Outdoor Superstore for extra magazines.
Old October 13, 2020, 12:00 PM   #18
stinkeypete

A good quality pistol cleaning kit will be valued every time you return from the range for many years. The good kits will have a quality handle and a steel rod, you’ll see the difference right away.

Get a bottle of CLP or Break Free and a syringe of a modern silicon gun “grease” (it’s a lubricant, not grease.)

I really like the Boresnakes for a quick clean, too. Get one of those, too. And extra patches and save some old clean T Shirts to cut up in to rags.

Get a small toolbox to keep all your cleaning supplies in.

Get yourself a range bag to keep your shooting glasses, in-ear plugs, Muffs (your 9mm isn’t that loud, plan for the guy next to you shooting .40... get big cans and plan on using muffs AND plugs at some indoor ranges). You’ll want targets, masking tape (to repair holes- save the planet, save some money, etc.) Range rod, small tool kit (the Lyman tool kit I have is about half the size of the one they sell now... shop around for proper gunsmithing screwdrivers and I keep a tiny screwdriver kit for tiny screws from a Harbor Freight too. Sight screws are tiny. While you are there, a set of punches and a small brass hammer, but those don’t go in your range bag. Your pistol goes in there, too.

A separate box for ammo, for me... just keeping on the safe side if any law about transporting in my state, ammo and firearm in separate bags is clearly not a violation of anything.

Do you have loctite? Eventually you’ll get purple and red.

Good sharp scissors to cut up your own patches from old t-shirts?

These are all things I would get for a newbro shooter before swapping triggers or sights unless you are shooting in a club setting and have a mentor or pal where you can experience the difference before playing LEGO parts swap with your pistol.

Give your pistol’s insides a thorough cleaning before shooting. You want to remove old grease that’s used to prevent rust and metal chips from manufacturing and apply proper lubricant. This step alone can improve your trigger feel and prevent wear or galling. Check all screws for tightness, too. This will familiarize you with your pistol, too.

Last edited by stinkeypete; October 13, 2020 at 12:05 PM.
Old October 13, 2020, 08:33 PM   #19
hounddog409

Upgrades?

Buy extra mags and all othe ammo you can
Don't need anything else.
Old October 13, 2020, 08:59 PM   #20
jmr40

On the older original M&P's the Apex trigger kit makes a HUGE difference. BUT the trigger ends up being so light and with a much shorter pull that I'd not advise it unless you get a M&P with the safety. The ones I've had done ended up with a better trigger than my 1911's. And I wouldn't carry a 1911 with the safety off.

The 2.0's are good enough straight out of the box. I'd spend my money on ammo and spare mags. I like a weapons mounted light for home defense. Not as practical for most carry.

Winston Churchill
Old October 13, 2020, 10:38 PM   #21
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr40 View Post
On the older original M&P's the Apex trigger kit makes a HUGE difference. BUT the trigger ends up being so light and with a much shorter pull that I'd not advise it unless you get a M&P with the safety. The ones I've had done ended up with a better trigger than my 1911's. And I wouldn't carry a 1911 with the safety off.

The 2.0's are good enough straight out of the box. I'd spend my money on ammo and spare mags. I like a weapons mounted light for home defense. Not as practical for most carry.

Which kit? The DCAEK from APEX should result in a trigger weight of 5-5.5 lb. and won’t really change the pre-travel.

Old October 14, 2020, 06:14 PM   #22
gaseousclay

Silly question, how do I find out the date of manufacture for my gun?
Old October 14, 2020, 06:16 PM   #23
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaseousclay View Post
Silly question, how do I find out the date of manufacture for my gun?

Sometimes it’s on the label on the outside of the box. Sometimes there is a small yellow envelope in the box containing a spent cartridge and that envelope will have a date.

Old October 28, 2020, 08:56 AM   #24
Martowski

Call S&W, they should be able to tell you the manufacture date. Although really, it doesn't matter... guns don't expire and the 2.0 has only been out for a few years so it can't be that old.

I have three M&P 2.0s right now: the 5" Tactical, the 3.6" Compact, and the 4" Compact. All mine come with manual safeties as well. I took all three to the range this past weekend, as I'm going to get ride of one of the Compacts. Both Compacts, not surprisingly, shoot almost identically to one another, although my 4" one has a slightly better trigger just due to whatever little differences there are in the manufacturing process. I'm going to sell the 3.6", as I simply don't need it. May put an Apex trigger on the 5" and use it as a range gun, as it looks to be almost as good of a shooter as my higher end 9mms.

My advice to you is to buy a decent holster, make sure you have at least three mags, and don't fiddle with the trigger. The 2.0 trigger is good to go out of the box, and will smooth up even more with use. You can get decent night sights as a replacement option online. If this is going to be a carry/home defense gun, night sights won't hurt a bit and may make a big difference if ever needed. A light is okay, I have one on my night stand gun but would never carry with a light... just more bulk and weight for something that will likely not ever be needed.

Spend your money with ammo, and if you aren't a very experienced handgun shooter a lesson or few with a good instructor will pay more dividends than any do-dads or gadgets.
Old October 28, 2020, 08:58 AM   #25
Martowski

BTW, you now own what I have recommended to more than one person as one of the best "do everything" handguns you can own. M&P 2.0 4" Compact and the Glock 19 are my two top picks for "if you can only own one handgun..." Thankfully, I own both.