The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 5, 2018, 01:46 PM   #1
1940izhevsk

Building an AR, could use recommendations for parts

So, I've received some graduation money and bought some parts for an AR-15 build. So far I've acquired the lower receiver (Anderson), upper receiver (Anderson) 15" M-LOK forend (AIM Sports), charging handle (Strike Industries), pistol grip (Magpul MOE K2 Grip) and 3 mags (1 MFT and 2 Hexmags, all 15rnd caps. welcome to Colorado)

My questions here would be what are some good recommendations for barrels, muzzle brakes and BCGs, something that's decent for the price without breaking the bank?

I won't worry about saving money on the trigger, I'll probably save for something nice like a Geiselle SSA, something along those lines. For a stock, I might either get a Battlelink Minimalist or a decent solid stock with a nice LOP (I have a 14" LOP, arms that of an Air Dancer you see outside of used car lots)
Old June 5, 2018, 02:23 PM   #2
shaunpain

I usually wait to find a barrel that's nitrided in the length, twist and gas system I prefer to go on sale. I'll also snag the BCG when they're on sale. Typically, manufacturer makes no difference to me. These days, I stick with three prong style flash hiders (not a fan of brakes) with a nod going to the Smith Vortex, though I've had great success with a myriad of Troy hiders. Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old June 5, 2018, 05:43 PM   #3
PlatinumCore16

You just missed Stag had their NiBo BCGs on sale for well under $100. Even had a BCG + 2-stage trigger for 30%+ off. Unfortunately for me, I also missed them

I've bought several Stag pieces recently and I am very happy with the quality. I was also told by a friend to check out Thunder Guns. Don't have anything of theirs in hand, but will be checking out a barrel, for sure. Looks like their BCGs are nitrided as well, so I think I'll probably give one of those a try because they are also on sale for a good price.
Old June 5, 2018, 05:55 PM   #4
Nathan

Quote:
Geiselle SSA
I wouldn't waste your money on that. Geissele makes a good trigger, but the cassette type triggers can be great. On basic AR, I really like the RA140. For a super precision rifle, I like the Triggertech a bit better.
Old June 5, 2018, 06:11 PM   #5
stagpanther

Sorta like asking "how do you find a good bagel in New York City?"

The more AR's I build, the more worthwhile I find it is to invest in quality parts, but I tend to be disappointed if a build isn't capable of shooting near .5 MOA.

PS--I think those minimalist stocks suck (I have a couple)--they're great until the lever retaining pin holder breaks--all it is is a thin layer of recessed plastic that holds the spring assembly together--fundamentally flawed design IMO.

Last edited by stagpanther; June 5, 2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old June 5, 2018, 06:12 PM   #6
zukiphile

Research is free. Do lots of it. Figure out your goal for the item (light weight or great accuracy or simplicity and durability), then,

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunpain
I usually wait to find a barrel that's nitrided in the length, twist and gas system I prefer to go on sale. I'll also snag the BCG when they're on sale.
^
That...wait for a sale until you see a price so low you can't resist.

Be patient too. As soon as you are done with this one, yu are going to start thinking about the next one.
Old June 5, 2018, 07:04 PM   #7
kymasabe

Many bcg's start off as Toolcraft bcg's before being laser etched with someone else's logo at twice the price. I've had very good luck with Toolcraft bcg's that I've bought from Toms Tactical or Joe Bob's Outfitters. PSA has some decent bcg's and my all time favorite is my Aim Surplus EXO Nickel Boron bcg...slightly different than their standard NiB.
Old June 5, 2018, 07:08 PM   #8
kymasabe

Oh, and for triggers, I really like the affordable ALG ACT trigger. An even more affordable alternative to the ACT is the nickel Teflon trigger group from Tom's Tactical, and a Wolff reduced power trigger and disconnecter spring.
Old June 5, 2018, 07:51 PM   #9
CLYA

I've wasted money on Geissele triggers, three times now. Will be going for a fourth, rather soon. First was the SSA-E
Old June 5, 2018, 08:00 PM   #10
stagpanther

Quote:
I've wasted money on Geissele triggers, three times now. Will be going for a fourth, rather soon. First was the SSA-E
I've used-and reused--the same SSA-E trigger--hardly a waste--but I'm guessing you're really saying they are a worthy investment for a good AR and I heartily agree with that.
Old June 5, 2018, 08:11 PM   #11
rickyrick

Man, I got the G2S, the budget giesselle trigger... guess I got the shaft there, lol.

There’s really no need to do a budget build these days... too much good stuff available.
A few years ago, AR components were scarce and expensive. The budget AR was sometimes the only way to get a rifle put together.

Most of my budget or standard parts are in a box under my work bench.

I’d definitely spend the money on a trigger and barrel.
Don’t discount the usability of a plain ole A2 stock.
Anderson recievers are good to go.
Some budget parts will suffice no problem.

and for the love of everything sacred... do not get a generic buffer spring (I learned that alone)
Old June 5, 2018, 10:45 PM   #12
marine6680

You are going to the wrong stores in Co if all you got were 15rd mags. The law is poorly written, there is nothing in the law saying you can not own them, it only says they can not be sold within the state. It doesn't even say you can't buy them out of state and bring them in... The only mention of import is for retailers, saying they can't sell them to civilians.

As far as barrels... Ballistic advantage and Faxon make good ones. A basic barrel won't run you too much from them.

I suggest Aero Precision or PSA premium for a BCG... Proper steels are used, well made and won't break the bank. PSA has their BCG on sale for under $100 frequently. The premium is the one that has MP and HP testing.

A basic A2 flash hider works plenty well... But if you want a good break for a reasonable price... VG6 Precision has good ones, on sale frequently for $50. I like the BCM flash hider and comp combo, works well without being annoying.
Old June 5, 2018, 10:55 PM   #13
rickyrick

Get on all these suppliers email lists. Great deals pop up. Just keep a little money available so that you can jump on the offers.
You can get bundle deals often these days.
Old June 6, 2018, 03:38 AM   #14
stagpanther

Don't forget good tools for a precision assembly--anyone can throw together an AR that works (which is basically what I did for the first dozen or two) but care in precision will yield better, more consistent performance IMO. Mix and match Frankenbuilds can often involve ever-so-slight misalignment of parts and that can easily result in malfunctions or PITA builds over time. By the same token there a few over-hyped items that I can live without--a prime example being the latest free-float rail that looks like a swiss-cheese sculpture from Michelangelo and belongs in a museum sooner than a gun.
Old June 6, 2018, 06:16 AM   #15
CLYA

Quote:
I've used-and reused--the same SSA-E trigger--hardly a waste--but I'm guessing you're really saying they are a worthy investment for a good AR and I heartily agree with that.
I do think the Geissele triggers are a great investment, and my fourth AR will have one too.
Old June 6, 2018, 08:04 AM   #16
stagpanther

These days I tend to favor the wider adjustability of jard and JP triggers--but for "out of the box custom tune without the fuss" functionality hard to beat a Geissele IMO.
Old June 6, 2018, 08:52 AM   #17
marine6680

I have several Geissele triggers. I like them quite a bit.

The G2S is a very good general purpose trigger. Most would do well with this trigger. Basically a lower cost version of the SSA. Close enough that I recommend it over the SSA for most people. On sale they are priced right.

The lighter triggers I tend to reserve for builds focused on precision.

The Larue MBT is a very good trigger as well. Some don't like the trigger bow shape though. It's got a more squared off edge, that some do not like.

The Geissele trigger bow is smooth and contoured.
Old June 6, 2018, 10:51 AM   #18
Chainsaw.

I have had really good luck with this radical barrel, shoots far more accurately than I can, has probably 6000 rounds through it and still going strong.

http://www.primaryarms.com/radical-f...ml-1-7-combo_2

Get a good BCG. Notice I didnt say PREMIUM, just not an el-cheapo.

I prefer to just get old mil spec triggers from buddies and polish them with an india stone, 15 mins of work and they end up as good as any ALG. Saves a few bucks.

Speaking from experience, the minimalist butt stocks......suck. I would steer you to a magpul with some cheek weld, more comfortable, you'll shoot better, and the hook that those minimalist stocks often have get hung up on everything.

Holosun reddots are great for budget friensly optics.
Old June 6, 2018, 11:45 AM   #19
stagpanther

As long as you're taking a look at Primary Arms--take a look at their outstanding ACSS scopes--there's no such thing as a "do it all" AR optic--but this comes the closest (and is reasonably priced) of any I have used so far.
Old June 6, 2018, 12:23 PM   #20
akguy47

PSA has nickel boron BCG for around 100 bucks. I have both the ar10 and ar15 no issues.
Old June 6, 2018, 09:05 PM   #21
Nathan

Quote:
As snarky and funny as that sounds, it just shows your inexperience with the full range of AR triggers.

There is a reason precision long range rigs never have long heavy 2 stage triggers
Old June 6, 2018, 10:03 PM   #22
riffraff

As far as budget goes - I fully expect to see a bunch of July 4th sales, if nothing pops up in the next few weeks I'm sure then you will see some good deals.
Old June 6, 2018, 10:53 PM   #23
bfoosh006

LaRue $99 MBT trigger

LaRue or Criterion barrel.

Both, the trigger and barrel are money well spent on high quality, known to be accurate products.

Spend your money on those two very important areas, and you will love the rifle.
Old June 6, 2018, 10:56 PM   #24
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyrick View Post
Get on all these suppliers email lists. Great deals pop up. Just keep a little money available so that you can jump on the offers.
You can get bundle deals often these days.
Rickyrick has the right idea. Go to a bunch of websites: PSA, Primary Arms, Ballistic, Aero, Bear Creek Arsenal, CDNN, OpticsPlanet...as many as you can find, and get on their mailing list. PSA sends me daily deal emails all the time and there are some good deals on there.
Next, Riffraff had a gem of an idea too....wait for the sales !! There's Fathers Day coming soon, and July 4th is just a few weeks away. I've learned that eventually EVERYTHING at PSA goes on sale, you just have to be patient. So if you can hang in there and be selective, can get some great deals.
Old June 7, 2018, 12:27 AM   #25
marine6680

If you think a Geissele (some models anyway) has a long and heavy trigger pull... You are crazy...

My precision rig has a Geissele in it, the trigger breaks at around 2.75lb, and I can shoot sub moa with it when I do my part...

Are there lighter pulls? Yes, Geissele has some... And there are some crazy light single stage triggers available.

And I wouldn't use any of them except on a dedicated bench rifle.

Any rifle intended for use in the field, I prefer a little weight to the trigger, and I like the extra margin of the two stage. General purpose rifles are 5lb min, and a precision rig can be a little lower.

Most people building an AR are not building a high end half MOA rifle... They are building a 2 moa rifle, and a 5lb trigger is perfectly suitable for such an endevor.