The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old May 28, 2018, 11:25 PM   #1
TruthTellers

How are Anderson stripped uppers?

On sale at Primary Arms right now for 35. Have read a couple posts in the past that people had some issues. Anyone ever have issues with Anderson upper receivers?
Old May 29, 2018, 12:54 AM   #2
marine6680

They are bare bones, and not quite as refined as some other brands.

Finish is a bit rough, just not as smooth as other makers. I hear its a bit easier to scratch as well.

I have heard of issues with their lowers having the odd out of spec area, be it hole locations and sizes, or other things. I have only handled their lowers, so no experience with building with one.

I think PSA and Aero make a better lower, and while not as cheap, nor on sale as often, they are definitely worth getting when you see them for $50-75. Aero lowers are the best sub $100 lowers, and are equal to lowers that often cost more.

For the most part The Andersons work from the reports I read, they just seem to have more that get out in the wild with an issue than some others.
Old May 29, 2018, 01:47 AM   #3
gshayd

I have built my last 3 builds with Anderson Uppers/Lowers one was for 458 Socom. Plus a few other builds used Anderson Uppers and Lowers. I also have a couple of Aero Uppers. The finish is not rough on the Anderson Uppers I have finished. Never had any issues with them Nor Have I had any problems with the lowers. Nothing has been out of spec they fit together with no problems.
Old May 29, 2018, 06:06 AM   #4
Mobuck

The only issues I've found with ANY brand of upper is barrel extension fitment but it's not brand specific. I tried a barrel on three uppers from the same brand and found three levels of "snugness". In turn, I tired that same barrel and barrel nut on two of those uppers and found some difference in how the barrel nut snugged up.
I'd have to say there's more variances in the tolerances involved than there is between "brands".
Old May 29, 2018, 06:46 AM   #5
MagnumWill

Quote:
I have heard
OK, well let me be the first to comment that does have one of these stripped uppers...

It was perfectly fine, I got mine for $40. I used it to assemble an AR from all of my previous take-off parts from other guns, all I needed was it and a gas block.

Fit was fine, finish was exactly as you’d expect. If it had zero markings on it, it would be impossible to tell apart from other similar tier uppers. Probably because it’s the same forge as a lot of other brands.

For $35 I would absolutely buy another as a spare, but restraining myself as I just bought a QC10 lower and upper on sale.

I can safely say that yeah, it’s definitely not as sturdy as the Vltor upper I have, but since it’s 1/5 the price and will work just fine, humor me

Last edited by MagnumWill; May 29, 2018 at 07:03 AM.
Old May 29, 2018, 02:30 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

The only uppers I've used or seen that actually had issues worth mentioning were PTAC uppers.

Anderson isn't just a brand that sells parts made by other companies (like PSA, etc.). They are the machine shop milling the uppers and lowers. ...And they make them for other companies, too.
If Anderson uppers had a problem, you'd know about it.
Plus... Since they are the manufacturer, they will send out a replacement, in an instant, if you do happen to get a defective part. You don't have to negotiate with them, like some secondary companies that sell parts with their own brand name, but don't actually manufacture them. (And fight the customer because warranty claims cost them more.)
Old May 30, 2018, 06:35 AM   #7
Logs

My Anderson upper works great. The finish is a hair off from the lower receiver, but I can live with that.
Old May 30, 2018, 09:03 AM   #8
PlatinumCore16

Only have a lower and I have no issues. No finish issues and haven't paired it with an upper yet, so couldn't tell about any fit issues. Should be getting a lower parts kit in the near future. Will have the receiver extension in the mail soon. Will update as I get parts.
Old June 1, 2018, 04:11 AM   #9
Ibmikey

They are great value, buy a box full and build AR’s in every conceivable configuration. Seriously, I have built a number of rifles on Anderson receivers for myself and others without a single complaint on their quality. My AR pistol is an Anderson and with a 7.5” barrel quite a blaster And even after a bunch of ammo has gone through the weapon it is still like new visually on the exterior.
I prefer Aero products but for a bargain AR project Anderson will do just fine.
Old June 1, 2018, 05:55 AM   #10
stagpanther

I've used gobs of Anderson's uppers and lowers--no issues with any of them. For me, the crucial aspects of the upper are that the inner "bore" of the receiver is of proper diameter and true to the chamber extension--so I generally will lap both the inside as well as the extension collar face to ensure the best alignment I can for the BCG to barrel extension. This is probably not necessary--but I've found that it can make a difference in getting the most precision I can out of the build. Mobuck made a good point--there is also potentially wide variances in the tolerances of barrel extensions so you can't necessarily judge the fit based on the upper alone. I personally like tight fits--though the vast majority of extension to receiver fits these days are rather loose IMO.

PS--I have NOT had good luck with their barrels, though.
Old June 19, 2018, 10:31 AM   #11
Tom-R2

I built my AR15 using Anderson stripped lower I bought on sale a few years ago. I got the upper, BCG, and barrel in their RF85 directly from the company. Once the rest of the parts were collected, a friend helped assemble it. It's been flawless so far. My son has built 2, and my friend who helped assemble mine, has helped quite a few other folks assemble theirs, almost everyone using Anderson parts. I've not known of any of these folks to have had any issues, and the folks who have made complaints on the Internet that I have read have been no more often than complaints from a multitude of other companies. The folks at the factory have been very easy to work with. Good luck.
Old June 19, 2018, 10:41 AM   #12
KY_blkout

The way I look at Anderson uppers and lowers is this, they probably almost double the production of the next manufacture of uppers and lowers (no real figures just assuming) so the odds of getting a random one here or there out of spec will happen. I've personally never had a problem with Anderson.
Old June 19, 2018, 11:48 AM   #13
stagpanther

Used tons of Anderson both uppers and lowers--never an issue with any of them--unless the other manufacturer's receiver was "selectively proprietary" in parts but that almost never happens in the AR 15 world. AR 10--LR308--far more often. Just ordered 3 more A lowers last week--primary arms had them on sale for $29 each. I can still remember the last public panic a few years ago which drove the price up of even Anderson's to over $100.

Last edited by stagpanther; June 20, 2018 at 12:38 AM.
Old June 19, 2018, 01:16 PM   #14
Dragline45

I have no experience with the uppers but I can chime in on their lowers. I have four of them and have rifles built on three. Zero problems with the lowers and fit and finish on them is as good as I could ask for. There isn't much play between the Anderson lowers and my BCM uppers that I have on them, though I still choose to use an Accu-wedge on all my AR's and shave them down slightly, really makes for a rock solid rifle.

I typically tend to pay a premium for products that take quality to the next step, and I'm sure Aero lowers and some others out there have better overall finish than the Andersons, but with the lower being the least critical part of an AR I am fine with the Anderson's and have high end uppers on all of them. With that said, I find uppers to be a more critical part than lowers and something I am willing to spend more on.
Old June 19, 2018, 11:37 PM   #15
TruthTellers

Quote:
With that said, I find uppers to be a more critical part than lowers and something I am willing to spend more on.
I'm of the same opinion. Bought the Anderson lowers, but will likely be putting Aero uppers on them.