The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 21, 2017, 02:59 PM   #1
jimku

Cimarron Evil Roy vs. Taylor's Ranch Hand Deluxe

I was seriously interested in a Cimarron Evil Roy 45 Colt 4.75" barrel. BUT I really wanted a gun with a brass trigger guard and back strap to match my other Uberti Cattleman that I bought several years ago and had all slicked up by a top gunsmith and that runs like a jeweled watch.

I found the Taylor's Ranch Hand Deluxe. Their Deluxe version has custom timing, trigger job, Wolff springs and square-bottomed rear sight notch all done by their own gunsmith right out of the box. And it has a brass trigger guard and back strap. So I bought one.

When it arrived I was thoroughly impressed. Timing is PERFECT, trigger pull is about 2lbs with ZERO creep or grit. Great sight picture. Nice color in the case hardening and stunning blue. The brass is not highly polished, but nearly so, and about a half hour polishing it with Brasso had it shining like my other Ubert's.

I have not handled or fired a Cimarron Evil Roy. If anyone out there has handled and fired both, I am very interested in hearing your comparison.

Please don't waste your time trying to sway me towards Ruger Vaqueros. I have two of them. There is no comparison. You couldn't sell me another Ruger if your life depended on it.
Old January 21, 2017, 03:23 PM   #2
Beagle333

Wow. That's beautiful. Taylors sure puts out some fine looking guns. And to hear they run great is just another plus for them.

I am really leaning toward their short stroked Gunfighter Deluxe. I just love the longer Army grip. It's not for everyone, and that's probably why they make so many different cowboy guns there.
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old January 21, 2017, 08:15 PM   #3
jimku

Thank you - white grips

Thank you Beagle333.
I am right now fitting a pair of white corian grips on it. Can't find a good pic of one with a brass trigger guard and back strap and white grips, but here's one of a Cattleman.

Very hard to find grips that don't have to be fitted. Best I have found is here. These do have to be fitted, but I am quite handy with such work, and will re-shape them to match the gunfighter maple grips below. Those are how I like my grips ... thinner at top and bottom with a swell that fits the center of my palm. If you ever want to swap grips on a gunfighter you might have a real problem finding them.
http://www.collinscraftgrips.com/kits.php
Ought to look good in my gun rig.

The Uberti Cattleman with the figured maple grips will go in my shoulder holster. I had this rig custom made to my own specs then did the rawhide work myself and made the knife sheath myself. The holster actually has about a 40-degree forward cant to it ... doesn't show in the picture. I shoot SASS matches, and I wear this gun at the 4 o'clock position a-la John Wayne ... which means I have to do a little "dance" when drawing it or re-holstering it to avoid pointing the muzzle at the crowd ... but I don't really care about speed, just fun, and this is how I would have worn my gun in the real old west.

You will really love any of their Deluxe offerings. Yeah, they're a couple hundred more, but well worth it. When I sent my other Uberti off to the gunsmith for that same work, when I got it back, the difference was night and day. And this Taylor's Ranch Hand Deluxe is every bit as nice right out of the box.

Last edited by jimku; January 21, 2017 at 09:10 PM.
Old January 29, 2017, 06:17 PM   #4
jimku

Well, I got the collinscraft grips, and they left a little to be desired. The two grip halves matched perfectly except for that critical part at the top front of the grips where they must mate with the square junction of the frame and back strap. They were at different angles there, and there was no way to make them work. They were also a glaring snow-white.
http://www.collinscraftgrips.com/kits.php
So I ordered a set of plain one-piece aged ivory grips from Buffalo Brothers. Sent them this pic and asked that they send me a set similar to these, a little aged and with a bit of "color swirl" in them like these but without the steer's head or any faux cracks. They said "No problem" and they should be here tomorrow.
Old January 29, 2017, 07:40 PM   #5
AKexpat

I think it would look nice with a squareback TG but that is not authentic. Good luck finding one!

I always liked the Ruger 3-screw Super Blackhawk with the squareback TG, but that is my choice only.

Back to our regularly scheduled program.
To be governed – is to be watched, inspected, directed, indoctrinated, numbered, estimated, regulated, commanded, controlled, law-driven, preached at, spied upon, censured, checked, valued, enrolled – by creatures who have neither the right, nor the wisdom, nor the virtue to do so. - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon
Old January 29, 2017, 07:53 PM   #6
Hawg

Quote:
I always liked the Ruger 3-screw Super Blackhawk with the squareback TG, but that is my choice only.
I had one is SS but didn't care for it. My first wife loved it tho so I let her have it.
Old January 31, 2017, 09:10 PM   #7
jimku

I'll pass on the square-back trigger guard. I want the gun to match my other Uberti (Stoeger) Cattleman. I had these grips custom-made. Forgot who done it for me, but I bought a piece of highly-figured maple, traced the outline of the grip on it over the grain I liked most and sent it off to him along with the gun. I also told him exactly how I wanted them shaped, and he did a BEAUTIFUL job. I will shape these new Buffalo Brothers grips the same way myself. The top of the grip is even thinner than on a Cimarron Evil Roy, going down from there they get a little thicker in the middle, then taper off again towards the bottom. This puts a nice "swell" right in the middle of my palm.

Last edited by jimku; January 31, 2017 at 09:28 PM.
Old January 31, 2017, 09:48 PM   #8
Hawg

Methinks AKexpat is infatuated with square back trigger guards.
Old February 4, 2017, 07:02 PM   #9
jimku

Well, I got the grips talked about above from Buffalo Brothers. They won't work for me because I will be re-shaping the grips, and the color of their antiquing does not go all the way through the grip, it is only on the surface. In corresponding with them, they do, however offer plain grips in two colors where the color DOES go all the way through the grip material ... a "Dark Ivory" which is actually more of an off-white, and a "Old Ivory" which is more brown/yellow aka John Wayne's grips. They offered to discount the price of another set to $45.00 plus $5.00 shipping, so I am having them send me a set in the "Dark Ivory". The Dark Ivory is the same color as the smooth parts of the grips below.

Last edited by jimku; February 5, 2017 at 11:14 AM.
Old February 18, 2017, 06:12 PM   #10
jimku

Got the Buffalo Brothers Dark Ivory grips fitted. Decide NOT to re-shape them. I am very pleased with the new look / feel.

And here is a pic of the stock gun. Quite a difference.
Old February 18, 2017, 06:38 PM   #11
BlackPowderBen

Those are really nice!
Old February 19, 2017, 04:56 PM   #12
jimku

They are actually slightly darker than in the pic in real life. My camera makes them look a bit whiter ... with or without flash. They also have a little "grain" in them that doesn't show up except in a close-up. The close-up also shows the color more truly.