The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old June 7, 2011, 07:13 PM   #1
chasep255

NJ Legal M1 Carbine

Has anyone ever seen an M1 Carbine that would be legal in my state?
Old June 8, 2011, 08:47 AM   #2
NJgunowner

m1 carbines are explicitly restricted in NJ. There does not exist a M1 in existance that you can own in this state, don't even try.

New Jersey law restricts the ownership of certain semi-automatic and other firearms based upon their military appearance. The list includes:

Algimec AGM1 type
Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder such as the "Street Sweeper" or "Striker 12"
Armalite AR-180 type
Australian Automatic Arms SAR
Avtomat Kalashnikov type semi-automatic firearms
Beretta AR-70 and BM59 semi-automatic firearms
Bushmaster Assault rifle
Calico M-900 Assault carbine and M-900
CETME G3
Chartered Industries of Singapore
SR88 type
Colt AR-15 and CAR-15 series
Daewoo K-1, K-2, Max 1 and Max 2,
AR 100 types
Demro TAC-1 carbine type
Encom MP-9 and MP-45 carbine types
FAMAS MAS 223 types
FN-FAL, FN- AR, or FN-FNC type semi-automatic firearms
Franchi SPAS 12 and LAW 12 Shotguns
G3SA type
Galil type
Heckler and Koch HK91, HK93, HK94, MP5, PSG-1
Intratec TEC-9 and 22 semi-automatic firearms
M1 carbine type
M1 4S type, MAC10, MAC11, MAC11 9mm carbine type firearms
PJK M-68 carbine type
Plainfield Machine Co. Carbine
Ruger K-Mini-14/5F and Mini-1 4/5RF
SIG AMT, SIG 550SP, SIG 551SP, SIG-PE-57 types
SKS with detachable magazine type
Spectre Auto carbine type
Springfield Armory BM59 and
SAR-48 type
Sterling MK-6, MK-7, and SAR types
Steyr AUG semi-automatic firearms
USAS 12 semi-automatic type shotgun
Uzi type semi-automatic firearms
Valmet M62, M71S, M76, or M78 type semi-automatic firearms
Weaver Arms Nighthawk
The legislation also prohibits any firearms which are substantially identical to any of the above firearms; any semiautomatic shotgun with either a magazine capacity exceeding six rounds, a conspicuous pistol grip, or a folding stock; a semi-automatic rifle with a fixed magazine capacity exceeding 15 rounds. Any magazine with a capacity greater than fifteen rounds is prohibited, even if there is no semi-automatic firearm to accompany the magazine
Old June 8, 2011, 11:01 AM   #3
blume357

I haven't got a clue on the NJ laws, but what about the possibility of converting a Ruger 10/22 to look like an M1? That might be your only chance.
Old June 8, 2011, 01:09 PM   #4
bigbaby

An m-1 carbine is no more dangerous then any other semi-auto 30 cal. Even MD allows them. My boy Scotty has one and it is a lot of fun to shoot! There must be more gun haters there then here; WOW!
Old June 8, 2011, 02:30 PM   #5
chasep255

I know the M1 Carbine is listed but so is the AK and AR. Yet there are NJ legal versions of each. Why not the M1?
Old June 9, 2011, 10:17 AM   #6
NJgunowner

Beats me, I wouldn't mind owning one myself but you won't find any gun stores willing to sell them, nor will you find one willing to do an out of state FFL on one.
Old June 10, 2011, 07:23 PM   #7
war_elephant

As a retired LEO from NJ, I can tell you NO. I saw a fellow who converted his M-1 to a pump action and was still arrested and convicted. An M-1 Carbine is not going to be legal in NJ until the NJ Gun laws are thrown out as unconstitutional, which will be about 5 years or so to get it through the courts. Sadly to say M-1 = 3 to 5 years in NJ State Prison.
NJ gun laws are crazy.
Old June 18, 2011, 03:25 AM   #8
Sgt.Fathead

Born and raised in north Jersey, Paramus, lived the last twelve years down in Monmouth County after coming back from living on the west coast and now live in The Great State of Texas. Ladies and gents, don't delay, come today!

I get a kick out of showing my old NJ Firearms ID to the guys at The Bullet Trap in Garland and Cheaper Than Dirt here in McKinney. I don't miss my NJ compliant Bushmaster when I have my new PTR91 in hand. Public ranges with life memberships for ten bucks! Ten!

Sorry to rub it in but owning 20 round mags and carrying my .357 in the console of my truck is akin to, I don't know, living in America. It galls me to have the right to exercise, you know, my rights!, while you all suffer. I hope things turn around back there. I grew disheartened when the carry bill was crushed, again, a couple years back. Come to the land of Beta Mags!
Old June 18, 2011, 11:17 AM   #9
kraigwy

So this tells me that people of NJ are treated as third rate citizens, not even allowed to take advantage of CMP Rifle Sales, something authorized by congress.

I hope the law suits (if any) prevail.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old June 18, 2011, 11:43 AM   #10
Lunicy

I read somewhere about a NJ legal M1 carbine clone. (Didn't specifically say M1 carbine on it either, just like the ar's and ak's) Research, there is one or two legal ones. Was quite pricey.
Old June 19, 2011, 04:54 PM   #11
Ztek69

Will the last person to leave....

Will the last person to leave the People's Republic of New Jersey please turn off the lights before you go.

The only state to pass an anti-gun law that did not grandfather in firearms and high-cap magazines that were already owned by people living there.

I lived in NJ for 50 years before I was able to escape to the free state of Tennessee 2 years ago. I'll never go back.

Good bye! Good Riddance!