The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old May 22, 2018, 03:58 PM   #1
Handgunner00

Value of Original Boxes

In some firearm reference book, I read that original boxes can add $150-$200 to the value of a collectible handgun depending on the condition of the box and the age and rarity of the handgun. Does this sound familiar to anyone or am I just hallucinating? I'd like to know the reference source if anyone remembers where this fact came from. Thanks.

Peter
Old May 22, 2018, 05:01 PM   #2
DaleA

Here's a couple of threads on this site that talk about the boxes...yeah maybe kind of nuts but collectors are going to collect...it's their money.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...ighlight=boxes
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...ighlight=boxes
Old May 22, 2018, 07:08 PM   #3
Nathan

Look at gunbroker and study sold gun prices...I would guess $100-$300 depending on age of gun.
Old May 22, 2018, 08:09 PM   #4
bn12gg

Original boxes eh ! As soon as original boxes become important the firearm can not be shot or not shot much. I collect but shoot ALL the guns in the stable. Otherwise, the guns move along. Just me but no to boxed safe queens. By the way, an "unfired" boxed safe queen if a sought after piece can be worth double the price of an unboxed example. -- they are just no fun imo.

.02. David.
Old May 23, 2018, 07:10 AM   #5
fourbore

Yes, collectors live in their own weird little world. With some small stuff like toys, the box is worth more than the contents. (re: Pawn Stars)

You can decide how you want to play the gun ownership game. You an be a nut job collector or a regular owner and shooter or both. You can play the class warfare card and insult those odd collector types or just do your own thing and be cool. I find it just too easy to throw a few stones in the collector direction, but; I know cool would be better. That goes for the old "safe queen" insult. I get it, hard to hold back when faced with different behavior.

The positive side of the "safe queens" is that can be some nice guns for future shooters. The old school quality is dying out fast. I shoot all my stuff, but: I take as best care of it as I can given the use.

I have thrown a lot of boxes away. I keep them now.
Old May 24, 2018, 07:45 AM   #6
GarandTd

I don't have anything collectible when it comes to handguns, but I keep my boxes/paperwork/tools/accessories that are included with the firearms I buy. Maybe one day they will be collectible, but even if they are not, the next person to possess them will have the full package.
Old May 24, 2018, 12:02 PM   #7
T. O'Heir

"...can add $150-$200..." Like everything else, that'd depend entirely on the condition of the box.
"...collectors live in their own weird little world..." You said it. Isn't just firearm collectors either. It never ceases to amaze me that people collect dinner plates and Coke bottles. Both of which make excellent targets for shooters with the place to shoot stuff like that. snicker.
Old May 24, 2018, 01:34 PM   #8
RickB

There are lots of fake boxes showing up.
Fake USGI "Kraft boxes" have been around for a while, and a guy on ebay has any box you want, seemingly NOS, for any Colt model, from any year of production.
He calls them original, then also calls them "my products".
Old May 24, 2018, 01:43 PM   #9
carguychris

A few other rules of thumb:
  • A numbers-matching box enhances value more than some random mismatched box. The latter circumstance has recently become common due to selling venues such as GB and Fleabay.
  • A box enhances the value of a high-condition firearm more than a ratty one.
  • A box enhances the value of an older firearm more than a newer one. The survival rate of boxes more than 100± years old is generally pretty low, particularly since the boxes at the time tended to be made out of flimsy and rot-prone materials, typically thin cardstock.
Old May 24, 2018, 03:02 PM   #10
UncleEd

Boxes mean very little to me because I'm not
a collector of fine, old or rare firearms.

However, if I have a box with matching numbers,
should I decide to sell it I certainly am going to
mention how this "rarity" enhances the gun's
value and perhaps price.
Old May 24, 2018, 09:12 PM   #11
Brian48

If you're ever going to sell your gun, having the original box and papers adds a bit of marketing value to the package, even if the gun is of recent vintage. It projects an image that the gun has been well care for. It's all about presentation.
Old May 25, 2018, 03:13 PM   #12
Pahoo

Factory boxes, have value.

Quote:
If you're ever going to sell your gun, having the original box and papers adds a bit of marketing value to the package, even if the gun is of recent vintage. It projects an image that the gun has been well care for. It's all about presentation.
It's been my experience this is more fact than opinion. Last year I sold a TC-Contender and had a fairly healthy price on it. The buyer commented on the price and what sealed the deal for him, is that it had the original box with the serial number. Regardless of how old or new, they are, they have value.. .

So give it a second thought when you take one of you factory boxes out to the burn-barrel. …..

Be Safe !!!
Old May 25, 2018, 10:00 PM   #13
1MoreFord

Yes, original boxes and the proper contents are Very valuable to the collector. Go over to the Smith & Wesson forum and see how valuable they can be. Kinda mind boggling.
Old May 25, 2018, 10:11 PM   #14
reddog81

A box can easily add $200 to certain handguns. Any 100 year old Colt or S&W in good condition with a good condition box will easily add $200 to the package. A 30 year old Colt Python will easily be worth $200 more with the correct box. A 30 year old S&W probably not unless it's something rare.
Old May 27, 2018, 06:17 AM   #15
old bear

Boxes, period correct shipping paperwork, and cleaning kits can and do add to the resale price of most firearms. I'm an Smith and Wesson owner, not a collector. When I purchase a firearm, I don't worry if the correct box and accessories come with it; yet if it does I sure save everything.
Old May 27, 2018, 08:20 AM   #16
Roaddog

I feal the same way as Old Bear.^^
Old May 27, 2018, 04:59 PM   #17
BusGunner007

I have 90+% of all the boxes for everything I've acquired.
Some of the paperwork and accessories.
Seemed like a good idea.
All in very good condition.

Hope it pays off for me and the next owner!
Old May 30, 2018, 07:35 AM   #18
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian48 View Post
Yup, what he said, and Old Bear too. I don't own collectible guns, mine are all shooters, but i keep all my boxes, and i sell my guns in their original numbers matching boxes, with all the paper work. Most buyers appreciate having them
Old May 30, 2018, 08:29 AM   #19
Ricklin

I tend to think of it this way, but I do save my boxes.

Are you a collector of guns, or a collector of heavy boxes?
Old May 30, 2018, 12:06 PM   #20
laytonj1

As someone who has made money selling boxes and paperwork work I can tell you that throwing the original packaging away is literally throwing money away.
Even if it’s a newer gun having the original packaging can swing a sell your way from someone on the fence. It certainly has for me, and while this is just my opinion, I believe people who keep all the original packaging are likely to take better care of their stuff.
Consider this, if you see two identical guns for sell, same condition and same price but one has all the original packaging, which one would you buy.

Jim

Last edited by laytonj1; May 30, 2018 at 12:18 PM.
Old May 31, 2018, 03:23 PM   #21
ThomasT

I don't know what the boxes add in value but I do know they are worth a lot more if they have the matching gun in them.
Old June 1, 2018, 11:02 AM   #22
tipoc

Quote:
In some firearm reference book, I read that original boxes can add $150-$200 to the value of a collectible handgun depending on the condition of the box and the age and rarity of the handgun. Does this sound familiar to anyone or am I just hallucinating? I'd like to know the reference source if anyone remembers where this fact came from. Thanks.
"The Blue Book of Gun Values" is one source. It is published each year both in print and online. The Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson by Supica and Nahas is another. There are many sources for this actually and you can go to a Colt or Smith and Wesson forum to learn more.

Why goes to condition and authenticity.

Not only are the boxes valuable but the paper work and the small tools inside are valuable in and of themselves. There is a market for these.

Even for more recent guns it adds to the value of the piece. A person selling a Gen 2 Glock from 1990 that is in like new condition will get more for it if it has the original box, tools and papers for it.

tipoc
4. Identify your target and know what is beyond it.