The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 27, 2008, 10:43 AM   #1
Demaiter

Blue Glue Like Substance on Primers

Hey all, I recently switched from Remington Core lokts to Federal(Power Shok?) Soft points, and there is this this blue glue looking stuff coming out from where the primers are stamped into the brass. I've never seen this on any other ammunition before, and thought I'd ask. I bought 2 boxes of the same lot and sighted in for deer hunting next week. Both had this blue. They shot better then the core lokts, so this being the reloader's forum, I'm wondering if any of you use or know what this blue like glue is?
Old October 27, 2008, 11:07 AM   #2
rg1

Sounds like a primer sealer that's added to positively seal the primer from moisture. The military ammo uses a primer sealant. Primer sealer comes in different colors from red, purple, blue, green, and is just for extra protection. In the case of Federal, the cases probably are oversized and they had to use glue to keep the primers from falling out. Just Kidding!! Every gun is different and it's not unusual for a rifle to like one brand of ammo or one bullet over another.
Primer sealer is not actually necessary as ammo would have to be exposed to a lot of moisture or dunked underwater for primers to be damaged. Oils and cleaning solvents are the worst possible thing that could cause a primer to be contaminated and not fire.
Old October 27, 2008, 11:08 AM   #3
44Magnum

That is a substance used to seal the area around the primer from dirt and moisture.
Old October 27, 2008, 10:22 PM   #4
44Magnum

What the heck? When I viewed my post I was the first responder. I come back tonight and see that somebody posted ahead of me. How the heck does that happen?
Old October 27, 2008, 11:24 PM   #5
rg1

Possibly because I posted then edited my post. I may have posted 1st then you couldn't see my post while I was editing???
Old October 28, 2008, 07:18 AM   #6
44Magnum

Who knows. It doesn't matter...Just curious.