The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 23, 2012, 07:10 PM   #101
Gaerek

All of your examples are of places where there would be a consequence of carrying, or where there would be little to no chance of running into someone wanting to do harm to you (the sea). Your consequences are varied, but they involve being arrested, being sent to prison, missing a Seahawks game, getting a "whoopin," etc. These are pretty common sense things, and I doubt anyone, myself included has made an assumption that you should carry where it's not legal. That's just common sense.

The point I was making, is if you make a commitment to carry, carry all the time, where it's legal. If you don't, there's no commitment, and you may get yourself into a situation where you need a gun but don't have one.

P.S. I'm also a dedicated 12th fan. But only been able to make it to one game in recent memory due to location (either Alaska or Arizona). I'm planning to make it to the Arizona/Seattle game in Arizona next year, however.
Old October 24, 2012, 09:14 AM   #102
Rick_A

i would say that if your uncomfortable with the glock style system. rack the slide WITHOUT round so that the trigger is forward and put a mag in like you have been. IF something where to happen ... which i seriously doubt, there is nothing to go boom. after a few days this should give you some confidence.
Old October 24, 2012, 09:51 AM   #103
Nanuk

Quote:
I have a mental stigma attached to carrying ALL the time. For instance when I take my 1 year old the the local playground (my neighborhood is very low crime), family get togethers, etc. I talk myself out of it because I assure myself there is no need to carry there.
That is called conditioning, the media and those who would control you do it all the time.

Quote:
Anyways I find myself having a lot of internal conflict over this argument...which is WHEN DO I LEAVE IT AT HOME? I am finding that I am basically setting rules for myself so I dont question the same darn scenarios over and over....week after week.
Never leave home without it. There are no scenario's, every situation is different. The only rules are have a gun and have enough gun.

Quote:
For those of you out there who carry 24/7 is there EVER truly a time that you say to yourself there is no need to pack your sidearm...other than sleeping and showering?
No.

Quote:
Also, I cannot move beyond my comfort level of having my firearm loaded with a round chambered. I carry my G26 which obviously has no external safety....just a trigger safety and common sense. I have convinced myself that taking a second to rack the slide in a situation doesnt weigh as strong as having an accident with a loaded pistol.
Get some quality training.

Quote:
I would like to be as comfortable and safe as possible while carrying. Anyone have advice to weigh in with on either side? Does it basically boil down to personal comfort...or is there a STRONG opinion as to why a person should carry a loaded, chambered pistol 24/7?
Your gear will help with the physical comfort. An unloaded gun is a paperweight. A gun is NOT a talisman to be waived at evil in the hope it goes away. Who is responsible for the protection of you and your family? Hint; it is not the police. Again, get some training if you feel uncomfortable with your Glock. I use a holster that completely covers the trigger on my Glocks.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old October 24, 2012, 09:58 AM   #104
StainlessSteel215

Great post Nanuk (by the way is that a reference to the wolf dog in the Lost Boys movie?). Great freggin movie....

A few pages back I posted about how Ive made significant progress with carrying my G26 condition-1 and carrying in more places that I didnt before. I appreciate all of your responses - its helped my confidence moving ahead and my anxiety is truly at a minimum now
Old October 24, 2012, 10:31 AM   #105
Sheriff Gotcha

Glad to hear your anxiety is at an all time low. I still get anxious about chambering a round in the house just to cycle it through without touching the trigger, but then again I am a brand spanking new gun owner of all of about 3 months and I've only fired a gun a grand total of 6 times. So this is all new to me.

I am looking into getting a carry piece now and it is going to be an uphill thing for me as well to prep myself mentally for carrying. Hopefully with more handling and one or two training classes my confidence will be such that I can feel good while carrying to protect myself and family as opposed to worrying that I may shoot myself.

I'm glad this thread came up when it did because it has helped my outlook on carrying as well.
Old October 24, 2012, 04:20 PM   #106
AUG

Thinking anywhere open to the public is "safe" is just foolish.

Case in point: I was walking on a walking track with my girlfriend at a city park in a very popular relatively crime free tourist destination type of place in Appalachia (i.e. no projects or 'da' hood'). I see three teenage white thugs aproach in our direction on the track. One of them flings open a knife at ~30feet and makes direct eye contact with me/us. I quickly draw my S&W 442 and firmly say "you'll die" and he actually almost fell over and ran away. The other two dip****s were somewhat clueless to what just happened and one said "what thaaa,,...?" and I said while still in shooting stance "I'm a cop" and they ran off also.

You just never know when the fight comes looking for you. I couldn't have (or would not like to try) to fight off three teenagers with my fists.

This girlfriend also thought I was "paranoid" for carrying all the time even though I was a cop. She never thought that again after that day.
Old October 25, 2012, 08:25 AM   #107
Nanuk

Quote:
You just never know when the fight comes looking for you.
Exactly the point. Fortunately the punk's level of determination was not up to your reaction.

Quote:
by the way is that a reference to the wolf dog in the Lost Boys movie?
Dunno? You mean the talisman? No some people think that just seeing the gun will scare people away. That depends on how dedicated the predator is that has you targeted.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old November 8, 2012, 03:03 PM   #108
StainlessSteel215

Wanted to stop back in here and thank those who contributed productive insights into why a person should consider carrying C1 and why even 2 seconds is crucial in a certain circumstance. Since I created this thread I have been carrying my G26 C-1 and now it's becoming second nature. I also carry more frequently in places that I would have otherwise just left it at home locked up.

I dont have any close friends who ACTUALLY live a full carry lifestyle, so its tough to compare notes with guys in person....so again thanks for helping me gain the confidence to carry responsibly via this forum.

Ive build a mutual trust with my chosen CCW which is the Glock26. I trust the gun, and myself now.
Old November 8, 2012, 04:01 PM   #109
2damnold4this

What holster did you choose, Stainless?
Old November 8, 2012, 04:09 PM   #110
StainlessSteel215

90% of the time I use my DeSantis E1 IWB leather holster made specifically for the G27/G27 models. Its super slim....sleek....and sturdy specially the stitching around the belt clip.

Provides a nice deep concealment but good enough to where the G26 magazine extension sticks out just enough to get a decent purchase on it when drawing.

When carrying OWB which is rare, mainly on my outdoor range trips, I use the hard plastic Glock 26/27 brand holster. Provides a nice snug fit, super simple and super cheap....
Old November 8, 2012, 04:46 PM   #111
manta49

I Am surprised that most on this forum are advising you to carry con 1 without knowing what level of training or experience you have with firearms. In a children's playground etc.

As for thinking about what might happen when you are not carrying that's human nature and what will happen if you decide to carry a firearm.

PS You said that the only time you don't think of carrying is when you are in bed or shower. Give it time some on this forum won't take a shower without a firearm.
Old November 8, 2012, 04:55 PM   #112
StainlessSteel215

@Manta: I am not taking anyone's advice line for line...I do not follow orders from anyone (specially on a forum) except my wife and my boss! I just absorb valuable nuggets of info on here and the REASON I created this thread was because I was interested in improving my carry system and now I understand that committing to C1 is really the only way to fly. I learned that the only way to power through my fears was to just dive in....safely & responsibly....and stay consistent. And its working.

Somewhere on here I probably explained that Ive never had "formal" training of any sort, but have owned and shot at least 20 guns over the last 6 years or so. I understand the differences with actions, safeties, triggers, etc. Not a beginner when it comes to gun safety....just EXTREMELY hesitant to carry with one in the pipe until I read all these great posts. Thanks again
Old November 8, 2012, 05:13 PM   #113
manta49

Quote. C1 is really the only way to fly. Its up to the individual what way he carries his firearm. I personally would make my decision on what way to carry depending of the area i was in and what threat i perceived. You have to look at the risk and look at the numbers of people shoot themselves and other people while carrying in con 1 A quick search on the net will show that there are lots.

CON 1 isn't the only way to carry its a choice.

Example below.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2-1IZk1A28

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJf1Ku_F74Q

Last edited by manta49; November 8, 2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old November 8, 2012, 05:20 PM   #114
kinggabby

I myself choose to carry C1 everywhere I am legal to do so ( OC or CC ) because perceive every place I go as a potential threat. I never want my guard to go down. Remember the saying about car wreaks within on mile of your home. People get on auto pilot and stop paying attention. We should always be on guard and ready when we are out and about and not destination determine your level of awareness.
Old November 8, 2012, 05:32 PM   #115
manta49

Quote. I myself choose to carry C1 everywhere I am legal to do so ( OC or CC ) because perceive every place I go as a potential threat. I never want my guard to go down. Remember the saying about car wreaks within on mile of your home. People get on auto pilot and stop paying attention. We should always be on guard and ready when we are out and about and not destination determine your level of awareness.

Your choice not the way i want to live. There are certain occupations here that you have to have a higher level of awareness. But that does not always help.

Example. Below.

A prison officer died in a hail of bullets today after being ambushed as he drove to work.

David Black, 52, was shot dead when another car pulled alongside him at 7.30am on the M1 in County Armagh.

He was on his way to start his shift at top security Maghaberry jail near Lisburn, Co Antrim.

Politicians on all sides condemned the murder, believed to have been carried out by fanatical IRA die-hards
Old November 8, 2012, 06:31 PM   #116
2damnold4this

In what condition was the prison officer carrying?

Would it have mattered?

As to the videos, Stainless is carrying a Glock, not a 1911. If he wanted to carry in condition 3, he could. But if he needed to use his firearm, he would have to have both hands to use it.

Sure it's important to be careful and have a good holster that is in good shape when carrying in condition 1 but that is the way the handgun Stainless has chosen was made to be carried.

No one is saying that everyone must carry in condition 1. Different firearms may be better carried in condition 2. Training helps, as does a good mindset and holster and the firearm needs to be carried as it was designed to be.
Old November 8, 2012, 08:21 PM   #117
Tinner666

By Stainless--"I dont have any close friends who ACTUALLY live a full carry lifestyle, so its tough to compare notes with guys in person....so again thanks for helping me gain the confidence to carry responsibly via this forum."

If you're not buying everything online, but at a gunshop, spend some time talking to those guys. They all carry, I'm sure. Same for pawnshops I frequent.
Yesterday, I dropped into a pawnshop in another town and before long, three of us had our pistols on the counter, unloaded and were trying each other's stuff out. One decided right after trying my carry of the day that he was going to tune his Glock.

All you have to do to get the ball rolling is to ask what their favorite holsters are and how they like them, etc.
Old November 8, 2012, 08:26 PM   #118
Tinner666

Please be aware that you must be comfortable with your handling abilities, and always obey the rules of safe firearm handling. Don't just tell somebody you're carrying something and irresponsibly whip it. That sounds wrong to me the way I wrote it. Just be careful and act as if you're in a crowd, which you will be. And bet your bottom dollar somebody else is there that you don't see monitoring your actions, 'just in case'.
I hope you ge the gist even if the wording is off. Give me a call if you want.
Old November 9, 2012, 09:52 AM   #119
Vireye

I carry 100% of the time it is legal for me to do so.

Most of my friends are aware I'm armed at any given time, but then again they are too. (We're all Military/LE/Security etc)

When I first got my CCW, I never had the chamber loaded. I think it was a similar stigma. I didn't fully trust my weapon, nor did I trust myself WITH the weapon.

Over time (and with a ton of training, professional and personal) I carry my Sig with no worries whatsoever. I trust the firearm implicitly, and I trust my own training and experience with it to know I can handle a situation should one arise. When I'm out, at home, etc, I still carry. At home I tend to open carry unless I feel it will cause an issue (i.e. it bothers my mother when I visit my parents house, so I conceal it when I'm in the house. Funnily enough I realized last trip that even around the house my father was doing the same thing)
Old November 9, 2012, 11:51 AM   #120
Gaerek

Quote:
At home I tend to open carry unless I feel it will cause an issue (i.e. it bothers my mother when I visit my parents house, so I conceal it when I'm in the house.
That's interesting to me. I almost always carry concealed, even in the house. No sense giving a tactical advantage to a possible intruder if he gets the drop on me. Then again, I'm well aware of the fact that "house clothes" aren't always the best for concealment either. If I can conceal, I do. If what I'm wearing (in the house, that is) doesn't allow me to, then I don't bother to try.

Having said that, Remora No-clip holsters are pretty awesome when it comes to around the house carry. I probably wouldn't take it outside, as I'd want a bit more retention. But for around the house, they're great and I've never had an issue. There's a video on youtube of a woman using it in her bikini bottom (and not slipping out at all) and inside the waistband of boxer shorts. Anyway, something to consider.
Old November 9, 2012, 01:02 PM   #121
Jammer Six

If I felt the need to carry at home, I'd move. If I felt the need to carry at mom's, I'd convince her to move.
Old November 9, 2012, 01:07 PM   #122
Gaerek

Quote:
If I felt the need to carry at home, I'd move. If I felt the need to carry at mom's, I'd convince her to move.
Please tell me where this magical crime/violence free place you live is, so I can move there.
Old November 9, 2012, 01:11 PM   #123
Vireye

Quote:
That's interesting to me. I almost always carry concealed, even in the house. No sense giving a tactical advantage to a possible intruder if he gets the drop on me. Then again, I'm well aware of the fact that "house clothes" aren't always the best for concealment either. If I can conceal, I do. If what I'm wearing (in the house, that is) doesn't allow me to, then I don't bother to try.
I suppose it's more me not bothering to conceal it, then consciously deciding "I'm going to open carry while I make a sandwich."

When I have company over, or think I may, I tend to conceal. Depending on who it is.

There's been more than one time where a few buddies come over for cards and we end up sitting around the table all wearing shoulder holsters. Kind of a classic image though, no?
Old November 9, 2012, 01:23 PM   #124
Gaerek

I wasn't criticizing. I do it at times too. I just found it interesting is all. The image of 4 or 5 guys around a poker table, all with exposed shoulder holsters is certainly neat to me though.
Old November 9, 2012, 01:38 PM   #125
StainlessSteel215

Guys, NONE of you are correct...its all about how you feel about your surroundings. Stop trying to force your own personal opinions about home carry on others.

Me? I generally wont carry inside my home. Its pointless. I like to change into comfortable clothes after work and refuse to lounge around in jeans & a heavy duty belt....with my gun holstered C1. I think some of you out there are absolutely paranoid.....but I will never tell you that you are WRONG. Once my wife and I are home for the night around 8pm....the doors get locked and the alarm system goes on. My gun stays in my unlocked upstairs safe no more than 20 feet from me until I go to bed...where it then sits on my nightstand. As my 1 year old grows older and transitions into a crib with no borders...I will revise my sleeping situation and likely place it inside a tiny safe on the top shelf of my closet which is 4 feet from me. If I am staying downstairs for long periods, the gun sits holstered high up atop my microwave in the kitchen which is in a central part of my downstairs.

That is MY PERSONAL setup. I dont care what anyone says here to try to persuade me otherwise. You all need to respect everyone else who doesnt agree with carrying 100% 24/7. Again, I think some of you are just plain paranoid....but thats just my $.02

Last edited by StainlessSteel215; November 9, 2012 at 01:47 PM.
Closed Thread