The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 16, 2009, 01:14 PM   #1
orchidhunter

Squirrel Tail Bounty

Sheldons', Inc.(Mepps) www.mepps.com will pay up to 26 cents for each tail, depending on quantity and quality. If you would like to exchange the tails for Mepps lures, their cash value is doubled.
Mepps is only interested in recycling tails taken from squirrels that have been harvested for the table. They do not advocate taking squirrels strictly for their tails.

It is illegal to sell squirrel tails in the states of CA, ID, OR and TX. orchidhunter
Old March 16, 2009, 01:23 PM   #2
Creature

Quote:
Mepps is only interested in recycling tails taken from squirrels that have been harvested for the table.
Do they ask for proof....like dirty dishes or table scraps?
Old March 16, 2009, 01:25 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Do they want them de-boned? Or leave the bone in?
Packing and preservation?
Brent
Old March 16, 2009, 01:34 PM   #4
orchidhunter

Brent, Tails are best on squirrels taken after October 1st.

Do NOT remove the bone from the tail. Deboned and split tails have no value.

Salt the butt end of the tail generously. Use either dry salt or dip in a strong saltwater solution.

Be sure the tail is straight before drying. Tails that dry in a curled position cannot be used.

Keep tails away from flies. Best storage is in a freezer. Do not send tails that have been exposed to flies.

Do not put tails in a plastic bag for storage or shipment. They could heat up and spoil.

The best time to ship is during cold weather months (Jan, Feb, & Mar). Dried squirrel tails may be shipped anytime.

Put your name, address, phone number, e-mail address, and tail count inside each package.

Send your tails to:

Sheldons', Inc.
626 Center St.
Antigo, WI 54409-2496

Last edited by orchidhunter; March 16, 2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old March 16, 2009, 09:14 PM   #5
pmeisel

I remember reading about this years ago. Glad to know it's still on....
Old March 17, 2009, 01:34 AM   #6
troy_mclure

my dad has received a good many muskie lures thru this program(not to mention many meals of squirrel & rice)
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old March 17, 2009, 06:01 AM   #7
rem870hunter

too bad i did'nt see or hear about this a few months ago. i do have 1 tail,but i didn't salt it or the end. its in a ziplock bag,sealed up good. do they accept deer tails too??
Old March 17, 2009, 06:40 AM   #8
Double Naught Spy

Here is the actual link. http://www.mepps.com/squirrel_tail_program/

A whole 26 cents a tail max? How many dozen tails do you need to get the economies of scale to offset hunting costs, storage/refrigeration, shipping, and packaging?

They call it recycling? LOL! If the first cycle of use of the tail is on the squirrel, then recycled for use as fishing lures, then I guess every time I eat a steak, I am recycling. First it was muscle for the cattle, now recycled as food for my stomach.

I think Mepps is confused. They aren't recycling, but cycling.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; March 17, 2009 at 06:48 AM.
Old March 17, 2009, 04:40 PM   #9
troy_mclure

well, as an alternative to just throwing them out, its pretty good.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old March 18, 2009, 09:10 PM   #10
treg

Many a rainbow and brown trout have found thier way to my grill due to this program.
I take the 2x value on lures.
Old March 20, 2009, 09:48 AM   #11
Gbro

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bounty
Defines Bounty as;
1: something that is given generously2: liberality in giving : generosity3: yield especially of a crop4: a reward, premium, or subsidy esp. when offered or given by a government: as a: an extra allowance to induce entry into the armed services b: a grant to encourage an industry c: a payment to encourage the destruction of noxious animals d: a payment for the capture of or assistance in the capture of an outlaw.

Your use of the word "Bounty" is not appropriate to this program according to the information in the program.
Quote:
Mepps is only interested in recycling tails taken from squirrels that have been harvested for the table. They do not advocate taking squirrels strictly for their tails.
So I therefore have a question;
Who eats Red Squirrels?
When I am attempting to eradicate those noxious animals from my little retreat on the lake, Table Fare is not even considered. Granted a starving man will eat what he can and I have had a hunger pain or 2 in my life, but Red (pine) Squirrels:barf:
Quote:
For all good quality tails we pay the following:
# Gray, Fox & Black Squirrel Tails
# under 100--16¢ each
# over 100--19¢ each
# over 500--21¢ each
# over 1000--22¢ each
# Premium Tails
# under 100--20¢ each
# over 100--23¢ each
# over 500--25¢ each
# over 1000--26¢ each
# Red Squirrel Tails *
# under 100--8¢ each
# over 100--9¢ each
# over 500--10¢ each
# over 1000--11¢ each
*Hair at the base of the tail must be at least 1" long.
I would think a Red Squirrel would command a much higher price if the program did in fact believe in their policy
Old March 20, 2009, 10:03 AM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Gbro, Many folks love the meat of red and grey squirrel as a delicacy. I know upwards of 50 guys personally that absolutely love tree rat meat. Some swear by a crock pot stew while others prefer the gumbo and some actually soak it in butter milk and batter fry it. I personally use them for snake fodder and dog treats...
But I do not know any guy with 100 let alone a thousand tails layin' around...
Brent
Old March 20, 2009, 10:07 AM   #13
UniversalFrost

mepps and some of the others have been at this for a long time. some also buy the turkey and pheasant feathers as well.

I used to sell mine to them as a kid and stock up my tackle box. nowdays I keep them and tye my own flys with the feathers and fur.

and yes, squirrel is some good eating in a slow cooker with potatoes, celery, onion and some gravy. Also good on a rotisserie.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Last edited by UniversalFrost; March 20, 2009 at 10:16 AM.
Old March 20, 2009, 10:25 AM   #14
RamSlammer

Used to cull tree rats from a commercial pecan grove . . . those were some good tasting pot fare, better than acorn fed and definitely better than pine fed squirrel. The Mepps program has been going for years and I hope it never ends!
Old March 20, 2009, 01:04 PM   #15
Gbro

Quote:
Hogdogs posted;
Gbro, Many folks love the meat of red and grey squirrel as a delicacy.
I am referring to RED (pine) Squirrels.
I have eaten my sufficiency and sir-fanciful of Gray Squirrels.
Thank You.
Old March 20, 2009, 02:14 PM   #16
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I must admit stupidity as I am not sure what a red squirrel is... When a child drug up north to michigan we hunted for "Red Fox squirrels" but I wasn't in an inner city junk yard... I will research the reds for info... To me a rodent is a rodent and won't go out of my way convincing Mrs.hogdogs that it is okay for Junior to store them in her fridge nor use her crock pot to cook them... I would eat a roof rat as fast as a tree rat if I was hungry though!:barf:
Brent