The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 12, 2009, 12:26 PM   #1
OLNfan

A little video of my last year hunting season.

Random pics/clips for 2008! The beginning is just me playing around 1min later it will shot the Wild Game I harvested.

Both bears taken with a 45-70 lever action marlin 1st) 50yrds 2nd) 230-250 (I dont have a range finder but my estimations are accurate)
In the beggning Is my old .444 lever action marlin now gone, traded for a 38 special s&w.

The deer were all taken with my crossbow.

For xmas I got a 2009 hoyt avanger and a 300winmag 770 series. I plan on getting a bear with both this year. (no bait was used, its illegal in B.C. Canada)

bear season starts in April! deer not until Aug.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AX0fMDj2YsY

I posted this video on youtube and now im going to post it here just to show people who I am. I am new to this site but I am frequnelty posting on threads and thought atleast now you can put a face to a OLNfan HOPE you guys enjoy it!
Old March 12, 2009, 12:36 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Purdy cool... who is the singer of the background music?
Brent
Old March 12, 2009, 12:44 PM   #3
OLNfan

Colt Ford-Ride through the country! great song, glad to hear you enjoyed it!
Old March 12, 2009, 03:05 PM   #4
davlandrum

Nice work!

Ethics is knowing the difference between what you have a right to do and what is right to do. -Potter Stewart
Old March 12, 2009, 10:31 PM   #5
FrontSight

VERY nice!
Old March 12, 2009, 11:05 PM   #6
OLNfan

Thanks guys, glad you liked it.
Old March 12, 2009, 11:14 PM   #7
OttoJara

Nice Great use of an awesome Colt Ford song. Thanks for not using the Hunting the World song. It would have been too much. Nice Bears I'd love the chance to bear hunt some day.

"A fear of weapons, is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud
Old March 13, 2009, 05:49 PM   #8
shortround60

Nice!!!

Wonderful images and excellent song. I have to go and download it now.
Old March 13, 2009, 06:16 PM   #9
Quickdraw Limpsalot

Cool video, but I've never heard that song and quite frankly I hope I never have to hear it again. We have country rappers now? Different strokes, I guess.
Old March 13, 2009, 10:39 PM   #10
OLNfan

Haha Yeah hes something else lol.
Old March 13, 2009, 11:04 PM   #11
SKULLANDCROSSBONES65

G'day OLNfan. Is that the typical size of black bear?

Quote:
I've never heard that song and quite frankly I hope I never have to hear it again.
I don't think I will lose any sleep if I never hear that style of 'song' again. Give me some Credence or even Beach Boys.
Old March 14, 2009, 04:25 AM   #12
OLNfan

I can safely say my first boar was over 300 pounds. And my second boar was 230-250. These pictures dont quite give it justice. You gotta see them when their on all 4s and they just look huge. But typical size? in my hunting area yes. If I drive 2hrs further then I can run in to 400-700 pound black bears and brown bears with out even trying. Why dont I hunt their? Well its easy. Black bears just like any other most of their diet is rougly greens, berries, wild onions etc. The meat side of their diet can get kind of un flattering. When the fish are spawning, moldy, and stink. These guys are out their catching them. They can be laying on the side of the river bank for 2 weeks or 2 mins they dont care, easy supper. The legal age to harvest a (black) bear I beleive is minimum 2-3 years. Some cubs leave earlier than others. some leave later. So when you get them while they are freshly on their own the odds of them of having worms in their system are low. Once you reach up to 4+years old theirs a high chance their infested with the buggers. So you want to get them at their prime/tender/legal age. hah. I know a few fellas that have kept the meat anyways and you cut open your roast and their little warms/maggots inside..still edible if you have thourouly cooked the roast. I for one am not in the mood to see this on my dinner table or even while Im butchering it. (I perfer to make my own sausages, salami's,chubs,steaks,roasts etc.)

For the deer I perfer to get a nice 2spike (2by2) because generally due to their age the odds are they havnt been in fights etc so their meat is going to be young and tender. The 4 spike I got in this video (4by4) with 2 nice brows I might add. Had obvoiusly been in fights before. You can tell by his rump, and his chest. He had OLD scar tissue over a rib that you could tell has clearly been fractured or broken before. I meen the odds of a deer having worms is low. The only way I could see is from open wounds from fighting or hit by a car etc.

This is how I have been taught to hunt, and it works for me. But I am going to aim for one rougly the same size as my first boar or slightly bigger just cause lets face it my second one may of tasted delicous but he aint as pretty as my first hah. But like I said they look alot bigger espically out 230 yrds.

Last edited by OLNfan; March 14, 2009 at 04:53 AM.