The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 8, 2009, 09:30 AM   #51
PoorSoulInJersey

I wouldn't give it a second thought. Maybe the guy actually does prefer to work on stalking skills than hunting skills. Believe it or not, not everyone wants to make a head shot at 3000 yards.

I know enough bow hunters who have to get close to make a shot to know that the "getting close" part is a lot freaking harder than just getting good at shooting a rifle.
Old March 8, 2009, 11:28 AM   #52
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Well, a heckuva lot of bow-hunters have gotten into it purely because of the challenges inherent in that style of hunting. At one time I was danged good with a bow--but my shoulder dislocates too easily for any serious-pull bow. For whatever reason, recoil doesn't bother my arthritis.

I know one guy who's gone even farther with it. He spent a winter in the Rockies, going in with elk/deer permits, his 60-pound recurve bow, hunting knife, salt and the clothes on his back. Later, he did a canoe trip on the Rio Grande's Lower Canyons, with the same gear. In August, for two weeks. But walking a pasture with him was intriguing: He'd find something to eat, on, under or around just about every bush. Unending nibbling on some sort of "veggie".
Old March 11, 2009, 06:38 PM   #53
James R. Burke

Sounds like a good sportsperson. We all have are limits, and I respect the ones that know them. No doubt some are better at long range shooting, and knowing there limits on shot placement, and a one shot kill. Some people think they can shoot great at anything they see, and those are the ones that probalbly can't hit squat.