The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 16, 2021, 03:26 PM   #76
dgludwig

Quote:
Honestly, I don't hear much about guns wearing out from someone using an oil that was less than ideal. For the most part, the lubrication requirements of guns are not that stringent.

Also, guns will tell you if they're getting gummed up or getting too dry if you pay attention.

Most any oil is more than adequate if lubrication is all that's expected of it and if the owner is willing to keep on top of things.
My feelings, based on my experience, exactly. I couldn't have said it any better.
Old August 16, 2021, 04:00 PM   #77
Viper225

Like most old timers I have a box full of different Gun Oils and Solvents.
I like Rem Oil to wipe guns down. I have a tube of Super Lube Multi-Purpose Synthetic Grease I use on my Contender and Encore Hinge Pins. I have Dupont Teflon Non-Stick Dry Film Lubricant that I use once in a while. I have Lucas Gun Oil, Break Free, Ballistol, Ams Oil Firearms Cleaner, Sheath,Hoppes #9 Moly, Rem Oil Dry Lubricant, Kroil, Lubriplate No. 105 Grease, MDL Rust Inhibitor/Lubricant, Refridgeration Oil, WD40, and my Muzzle Loader barrel does well with Bore Butter. I also keep Ed's Red around mixed 1/2 Gallon at a time. I lube gun parts now and again with Ed's Red, but I mostly use it on Hi-Lift Jacks, Come Alongs, etc. around the farm. I use about as much spray Break Cleaner as I go Spray Gun Cleaner, and can not tell any difference. I have Hoppes #9 Bore Cleaner, Butches, and a few more if I look. I also have a homemade bore cleaner from an old WWI era recipe that works fairly well for general purpose use.

An old friend hunts with an Engineer who works for a company who makes a Gun Lubricant among lots of other things. Per the engineer their Gun Oil is basicly Ed's Red. I wonder how many more are repackaged, or a blend of readily available products in a fancy bottle. I seriously doubt a lot of new science goes into most products.

I use a lot of the products listed above to use them up, instead of throwing them out. Lots of the products I have on hand, I never plan to purchase again.

My point lots of different products work. Some work better than others for some applications. Some stay on parts better, some have better corrosion protection, some take heat better, and some are probably Snake Oil that you could make a better product at home.

Bob R
Old August 17, 2021, 11:18 PM   #78
The Happy kaboomer

Mobil One...................Used by many.
Old August 18, 2021, 07:01 AM   #79
Road_Clam

I was getting very concerned, it's been almost a month since the last "what oil" thread ! Run whatever you have lying around your workshop. Stop working about what the other guy uses. My famous quote "any oil is better than no oil"

I use new leftover mobil 1 from my Harley oil changes. With guns, less oil is better.
Old August 18, 2021, 07:36 AM   #80
zplinker

Interesting. Periodically, I go across my benches with a trash can, and toss about 90% of the 'miracle' products. Samples of this and that, most of which just don't prove to be better than others, but one that stays, and gets used a lot, is Corrosion X.
Old August 18, 2021, 09:11 AM   #81
Willie Lowman

About 15 years ago I had a car that took 4.5 quarts of oil. So I always had a half quart of Mobil 1 left over. I used it on my guns because I had it.

Nowadays I use FireClean or Slip 2000.
Old August 19, 2021, 01:55 AM   #82
Shadow9mm

Motor oils designed for a different use, and different specifications. Different detergent for different fouling. Different operating temperatures.

Can you? Yes. Is it optimal. No. Would I do it. No
Old August 19, 2021, 07:05 AM   #83
johnslick

I have used nearly every kind of lube in my shooting since 1967,and find very little difference, excluding sub freezing temps. Only CLP did I notice superior performance
Old August 19, 2021, 07:55 PM   #84
Pistoler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Happy kaboomer View Post
Mobil One...................Used by many.
Dunno man, your name is Happy Kaboomer....

Are you so happy because Mobil 1 helps you keep all your fingers after a Kaboom?
Old August 27, 2021, 04:10 AM   #85
WESHOOT2

when it's really really cold lube

Quote:
I have used nearly every kind of lube in my shooting since 1967,and find very little difference, excluding sub freezing temps. Only CLP did I notice superior performance
Ditto, but 1976...

Extreme cold, dusty environments, and high rd-ct taught me lubricant choices matter.
I use BreakFree CLP.

I have used many others (and still do).
I would like to try modern WeaponShield.

(I still have about a half-gallon of banned ProLix, which is the most incredibly aewsome stuff for my pistols)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SnowMatchGMPS.jpg (75.7 KB, 19 views)
Old August 27, 2021, 06:12 AM   #86
mehavey

^^^^^ Ditto Above ^^^^^

And in so doing, I am reminded of LESTERS

(altho BreakFree still used, Hornady 1-Shot Cleaner/Lube has become my Go2)

Last edited by mehavey; August 27, 2021 at 06:19 AM.
Old August 27, 2021, 08:29 AM   #87
JustJake

Quote:
And in so doing, I am reminded of LESTERS
Yep, Lester's!

It's the ammo most Fuddleys prefer.
Old September 7, 2021, 08:35 PM   #88
langenc

I finally obtained one of those Dewey 'oil cans'(about 1 oz0 and filled it w/ some Mobil 1 that was left in a 5 qt jug. I think it ill last forever. Use in on guns and anything around that needs a couple drops.

Had a friend on the Army whose Father repaired small appliances. He said Dad priced oil at $1/drop on repairs.--wow.
Old September 7, 2021, 09:03 PM   #89
dahermit

I could never understand that "below zero, lube thickens thing." I have hunted deer in Michigan for longer than many of you have been alive, but cannot remember even one day that the weather was below zero during deer season... even the extended land-owner antlerless season that ends January first.

Maybe in Alaska some fool will venture out to hunt in below zero weather, but for the majority of us, a gun seizing up due to thickened lube strikes me as more fairy tale than fact. One of those, "I read it in a gun magazine so it must be true, things"?

So, Mobile One to lube my guns and stay the hell inside when its below zero seems to make sense for me.
Old September 8, 2021, 08:16 AM   #90
Seedy Character

Yes, people do hunt when it is below zero.

Hunting Colorado, -8° and my hunting partner had his trigger seize up. Was afternoon before temp rose to 5° and he could use his rifle.

Hunting guide, 80 miles north of Edmonton, Canada, told us the hunting didn't get good until the temps got to -20°.

Triggers / actions freezing is actual fact and well documented, not just gunscribe myth.
Old September 8, 2021, 08:23 AM   #91
Jim Watson

A friend got her last buck at 7 deg F, so not quite below zero, no problem with the rifle.

In olden times, before Modern Wonder Lubes, the Arctic hunter was recommended to degrease his gun and lube it with graphite.
Old September 8, 2021, 12:15 PM   #92
Nodak1858

Coldest I've deer hunted in was -15 actual temp, and yes things that move in above zero temps get sluggish then. For times it's going to be that cold I make sure all the bolt internals are clean and no excess oil or grease.
Old September 8, 2021, 10:07 PM   #93
WESHOOT2

friggin' cold

Our USPSA club shoots year-round. Coldest match start temp was -17F.
One quickly learns that lubricant choice actually matters.

Green Mountain Practical Shooters
IPSC13
Old September 9, 2021, 11:39 PM   #94
ME262

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike38 View Post
I used Mobil One Synthetic 0w-20 for many years. Until.... I was at a competition in late October and the temps took a sudden dive. It went from 50 degrees to 20 in about 2 hours. My pistol started choking. 0w motor oil should not have been affected at all, but it did. A guy next to me let me try his oil, Pro Shot CLP, and my pistol started working like it should. I now use it exclusively.
I use Mobil 1 and I use so little - as u should - that i don't see why it would jam up the gun in cold weather, even if the oil became gummy, which Mobil 1 synthetic shouldn't. It doesn't in cars. What do u mean "choking"? How did the gun "choke"? Maybe there was some other problem with your gun.

Anyone here from Alaska with cold weather shooting experience?
Old September 10, 2021, 05:40 PM   #95
lll Otto lll

I don't use gun oil in my truck, so why should I use motor oil on my guns?
The additive packages in motor oils are completely unnecessary for firearms.
Your gun oil has no need for anti-foaming agents, viscosity modifiers, detergents, dispersants or emulsifiers.

Last edited by lll Otto lll; September 10, 2021 at 05:55 PM.
Old September 11, 2021, 06:05 PM   #96
JohnKSa
Staff

Yup.

And it does benefit from anti-corrosion additives which aren't usually included in motor oils.
Old September 11, 2021, 08:35 PM   #97
totaldla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistoler0 View Post
I have read and seen videos exalting the virtues of motor oil as very efficient, long lasting gun lube that is resistant to heat and fouling.

What are your views on this? What would be the benefits/cons of using motor oil as gun lube (besides the obvious: cheaper cost).

And WHICH motor oil would be better? (they come in all kinds of viscosity grades)
Unless you're maintaining a machine gun, I can't see any reason to screw around with specialty oils. The only oil I recommend is ATF. Why? Because it is light weight, lots additives for wear prevention, and it is cheap. Doesn't matter a bit whether it is Dino or synthetic.

Now having said that, I loved the old FP10 because it kept my beater 1911 from rusting. But the new FP10 kindof sucks now because it doesn't stay where I put it. I like the smell of cinnamon so I'm working my way through a bottle Weapon Shield - but it isn't as good as FP10 (just smells better). Weapon Shield is non-toxic and made by little vegans that drink fair trade coffee.

Last edited by totaldla; September 11, 2021 at 08:56 PM.
Old September 12, 2021, 04:33 AM   #98
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by totaldla View Post
Unless you're maintaining a machine gun, I can't see any reason to screw around with specialty oils. The only oil I recommend is ATF. Why? Because it is light weight, lots additives for wear prevention, and it is cheap. Doesn't matter a bit whether it is Dino or synthetic.

Now having said that, I loved the old FP10 because it kept my beater 1911 from rusting. But the new FP10 kindof sucks now because it doesn't stay where I put it. I like the smell of cinnamon so I'm working my way through a bottle Weapon Shield - but it isn't as good as FP10 (just smells better). Weapon Shield is non-toxic and made by little vegans that drink fair trade coffee.
I don't like added smells in my lube. If the ingredient isn't helping the product to work, it doesn't belong. The same goes for colorant.

Little vegans and fair trade coffee aside, "non-toxic" is good. Seriously, don't we have enough stuff pushing up the health risks in our lives? Lead and solvents are largely facts of life for this hobby. Do I also want toxic lube on my everyday gear, in or on my pants, near the bits for which I want to keep the cancer risk as low as possible?

At least when high-quality non-toxic options like Lubriplate FMO 350-AW are available and affordably priced, why wouldn't I use them?
Old September 12, 2021, 05:54 AM   #99
JohnKSa
Staff

Another interesting aspect of the issue relating to gun cleaning/lubrication products.

https://www.police1.com/police-produ...FLofX4TeAsGY1/

"The gun dog is trained to focus on odor that relates exclusively to the oils, powder and residue commonly associated with a dischared <sic> firearm and not human odor."

I wonder if products like the Lubriplate FMO products which are not commonly associated with firearms would still cause a "gun" sniffing dog to alert.

That's really only curiosity on my part, the main reason I like low/no-odor products is the obvious one. And it certainly doesn't hurt if they are also non-toxic.