The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 2, 2021, 03:07 PM   #1
ghbucky

Talk to me about Aliengear holsters

I have a Springfield xds 9mm that I typically wear IWB with a stiff 1.5" belt (it has a kydex core).

The holster is kydex and was cheap, typical snap on well molded to the pistol and has good retention. But it is often uncomfortable to wear. I carry a spare mag in my pocket, but that's not ideal, and I also have no place to keep it accessible in the car.

Someone here in another thread was saying good things about aliengear. So, I looked them up and they look intriguing, but their stuff is kinda spendy.

I'm looking at their core system https://aliengearholsters.com/spring...er-system.html and their 'Driver Defense Expansion Pack", along with a mag carrier.

The whole package comes to $150, which... if its good fine, but it better be awesome for that much. Also, they off additional 'clips' but I'm not sure what they are supposed to accomplish.

So, is this really worth this much for a holster system, or is this just WAAY over the top branding?
Old June 2, 2021, 03:16 PM   #2
2wheelwander

I have a few of their holsters. Leather backing, kydex holster. Modular, etc. I didn't spend anywhere near $150 for either of mine. Looked at your link, and mine isn't that style. Of course my first I bought some years ago.

My impression of what I own is that I really like them. Comfortable, easy to use, secures my handgun well, etc. Well worth the $$. I've no experience with what you are looking at, but I believe they offer a good product.

I know the guy who founded aliengear is stinking filthy rich with more toys than any one man should have. Look him up on youtube. Very entertaining
Old June 2, 2021, 03:19 PM   #3
ghbucky

Thanks, 2wheel. Appreciate the input.

Quote:
I know the guy who founded aliengear is stinking filthy rich with more toys than any one man should have.
This makes me happy.
Old June 2, 2021, 05:11 PM   #4
Shadow9mm

I have a couple of their holster. one of their older ones and 2 of the newer modular ones. I have a IWB and paddle style, with shells for a G19, LC9s, and P365. It lets me use different guns with the same carry bases.

with the modular system it takes about 1min to swap a shell to a base if I want to carry a different gun, or carry a different way.

The holsters are fairly comfortable. the tension to click in and out for the draw is easy to adjust although you will want to put it on your belt and practice drawing to get a proper feel for the tension. the thumb lock is good on the paddle holster. but i found I needed to reduce the click in and out tension when using the thumb release.
Old June 3, 2021, 01:13 PM   #5
ghbucky

Thanks for the feedback, seems like they are well liked. After some messing around with their site I decided against their core pack as it seemed overkill. But they offered a 2 holster deal, so I got an IWB and a Velcro holster that I can set up in the car, along with a mag carrier.

Total came to a touch over 100 with some discounts they applied and free shipping.
Old June 11, 2021, 07:47 AM   #6
ghbucky

I got the holsters and a mag carrier.

The shapeshift holster is very, very comfortable. I'm impressed. However, it is a chore to put it on and off. For something like just putting on a gun for an hour or so to run out to dinner I doubt if I'll hassle with it. But if I am going to be carrying for an extended period I will go for it without a doubt.

The Cloak mag carrier is an entirely different story. It is absurdly bulky for a a single stack 9mm mag carrier. I would have to order a longer gun belt to be able to get the mag carrier iwb. I'll just use it as an owb mag holder. Pretty disappointed in this piece, tbh. When I ordered it I had to specify the gun and caliber, so I thought I was getting a custom fit carrier, but this isn't that at all.
Old June 11, 2021, 08:39 AM   #7
Schlitz 45

I have some of their dual mag carriers that can be configured multiple ways & even able to carry separate caliber magazine on the same carrier if needed for a BUG. As versatile & well built as they are i find them to be bulky and rarely if ever use them.
Old June 11, 2021, 01:09 PM   #8
ghbucky

Here's a pic of the mag carrier next to the holster. Rather than lowering the profile of the mag carrier by setting the clip on either side like they do with the holster, they attach the clip on the back, making the mag carrier actually wider than the holstered pistol.

Attached Images
File Type: png Screenshot.png (665.0 KB, 112 views)
Old June 14, 2021, 04:47 PM   #9
Tom-R2

I have 2 IWB, and found an older style on eBay and bought it too. I have several shells to swap and I like them. The eBay purchase came with the OWB and the paddle holster frames too. They seem to be solid enough, but I've not carried with them - yet, because they seem to hold the pistol so far away from my belt that it is more difficult to conceal.