The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 11, 2019, 08:48 AM   #1
Bill Daniel

Bucket list item

I understand from other TFLers that an AR10 should not be your first build but an accurate long range target AR in 6.5 Creedmoor is on my bucket list and time is getting short. That being said what tools are needed outside of the rifle parts themselves to assemble the rifle. I need a complete list, as type of vise, and any specific kits or individual tools that I will need.
Thanks,
All the best,
Bill

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old June 11, 2019, 10:42 AM   #2
Don Fischer

Your first rifle, long range plinker or other wise, should be what you want! Myself, I would not own an AR type rifle or one with a plastic stock, just to da*n ugly for me! Go get the type you want!
Old June 11, 2019, 08:13 PM   #3
44 AMP
Staff

To assemble an AR type rifle you'll need a decent vice for the barrel blocks, the proper screwdrivers / allen wrenches, a set of pin punches, hammer, a torque wrench (in/lb and Ft/lb) and the "armorer's wrench" - special tool for the buffer tube, barrel nut, flash suppressor cut to fit on a breaker bar/torque wrench.
Depending on the exact parts used you may find snap ring pliers and a hook spanner useful.

Most of all, you need good, clear instruction, from a recognized source, not just some yammerhead on Utubeā€¦.

You might find headspace gauges useful, but there is no adjustment possible, if the headspace is "off" your only real option is to replace the parts (barrel assy or bolt, or both)

There is no "milspec standard" for AR 10s. Different makers do their parts slightly differently and the only way to be reasonably certain everything will fit properly and work together is to get them from the same people.

Considering that, you might consider whether the "fun of the build" is worth the slight difference in cost between buying parts, assembled groups, or just buying a complete rifle.
Old June 11, 2019, 10:10 PM   #4
Bill Daniel

Bucket List

Many Thanks 44 AMP.
While cost is certainly a consideration, it is actually the assembly of the rifle I want to spend my time on more than the possession of it.
All the best,
Bill

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903