The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 10, 2005, 09:26 PM   #1
'75Scout

Why not more shotgun posts?

Shotguns seem to be the least popular of the firearms in the forums. When so many people are concerned with the SHTF and HD scenarios, why aren't there more posts for shotties? People seem to think semi auto rifles are better for HD.

I personally like shotguns better.
Old October 10, 2005, 09:29 PM   #2
mathman

I agree with you...I am dissatisfied to visit the shotgun forum sometimes only to not find any new posts. I'll propose a answer to your question:

With pistols and rifles, there is a lot of debate as to which one is best in terms of accuracy, reliability, etc. With shotguns, everyone already knows that the 870 is the best, so there is nothing to debate .
Old October 10, 2005, 09:31 PM   #3
almark

You like shotguns better? I could never tell by your signature.

I like shotguns as well (especially for HD), and I've noticed the shotgun forum seems to be the least busy.

Then again, most of the "discussions" in the other forums are arguments, so maybe it's just that shotgunners get along with each other better.
Old October 10, 2005, 09:38 PM   #4
'75Scout

I guess there's a lot less options in the shotgun arena that actually perform well. Rem, Mossberg, Winchester/FN, Browning, Benelli, H&K Fabarm and Beretta.
Old October 10, 2005, 09:50 PM   #5
roy reali

Actual Practice

With rifles and handguns there seems to be a search for the right weapon and or ammunition to make good shots. With shotguns, practice is the most important aspect. There are different guns and shells, but actual practice is vital.

Here is a saying that I feel sums it up best.

Rifle shooting is a science, shotgunning is an art.

Of course, I am refering to sporting use of firearms.
Old October 10, 2005, 09:56 PM   #6
'75Scout

I'm speaking mostly for HD reasons, but sporting reasons seem to be the same. Most people aren't arguing that a particular shotgun is crap, not so with rifle/pistols.
Old October 10, 2005, 10:15 PM   #7
cobra81

I've noticed that, too.

I've also noticed far fewers viewers and posters on this forum.....SO.....

Here's some questions for the shotgun experts on this forum....because I certainly am not an expert, and could use the knowledge many of you possess!
I recently got addicted to sporting clays and trap shooting. I have a Benelli Nova that I used for this at first, but then I fell victim to the nice o/u's that I saw at the range, and before I knew it, an unexpected bonus check turned into a Citori Lightning Feather. I really like shooting this gun, but people keep telling me I need a Skeet choke for sporting clays. (The Citori came with 3 chokes, and Skeet was not one of them). (Mod.,Full, & Imp. were supplied).

#1: Do I need a Skeet choke for sporting clays?
#2: Which brand?
#3: Do most folks use a Skeet tube in both barrels, or a different tube in each barrel for sporting clays?
#4: Which barrel to fire first (over or under)?

My shotgun has 28" barrels, and I kind of like the extended tubes for ease of
removal...I don't think the extra length would bother me.
Your thoughts, please!
Old October 10, 2005, 10:16 PM   #8
mathman

shotguns rule.

modified and IC should be fine for sporting clays...as mentioned previously, the most important aspect to shotgunning is practice.
Old October 10, 2005, 10:25 PM   #9
sm

Why not more shotgun posts?

Check out the old posts, with or without the search function - many answers will come to light.

Granted as a general ruleshotgunners have a certain politeness about them, many are amazed when they visit a clay range how folks warm up to them and ask if they want to shoot "their" gun. Offer them "their" ammo to shoot, or buy them a soda without even asking.

Same thing happens at other shotgunning events, be it training, or other competitions, say 3 gun.

Not that the shotgun forum has not had some of the most heated debates, some which do come back up for discussion.

There seems to be two divided camps, very distinct.

There are shotgunners , and those that have shotguns. It does not lay within the boundries of Skeet, Trap, HD, 3 gunners, or hunters.

There are those that know these disciplines very very well. They have a wealth of knowledge, many to be found in old posts, or by use of search function. So many folks find the answers there. Rarely does a old post ever come back up. Asked and Answered if you will.

The other camp is - for lack of better analogy - is trying to buy skill and targets. They are not into training, gettng lessons, gun fit, - they want to justify and qualify what they have done, want to do , or will do to a shotgun.

To put it bluntly, many of the seasoned folks, no matter the discipline, skeet, trap or 3 gun, ...etc., quit posting or rarely do anymore. Figure the search function works, or will contact the serious person via PM to discusss, or figures someone else will answer the question.

When TFl closed for a bit, many went to THR, many of TFLs old postings are referenced in the shotgun forum and IIRC can be found in the Library at THR.

Harley Nolden answers many questions in his forum about historical questions, and owner's manuals. Many doing a search find this out and just contact him about their questions and never post it. Better yet sometimes their answer is already in the old postings.

I am not the only one that does perhaps more off-forum about many matters discussed on forum, especially shotguns.

Shotguns are not immune to somethings like new offerings, new loadings and such.

Shotguns like many other platforms and their loadings - some things have not changed all that much.

In all things firearms, it is always the person knowing the correct basic fundamentals, instilling them, continuing to practice these...not the firearm or loading.

Dave McC is the moderator over at THR - he used to moderate this forum.

Erick is the Mod in shotguns here and THR. You may know Erik from SWAT articles. Erick stays "kinda" busy with other duties. He is watching tho'.

Denny Hansen - might of heard of him too, Having to Edit Erik, Keep Rich in line and his other duties - like doing the actual hands on training, testing and such - has some great posts in the old stuff. I think his grandkids keep him too busy to post at times too. He manages to post still.

Seems the old post and search function answers a lot of the classic questions, or as stated before are taken off line.

Regards

Steve
Old October 11, 2005, 09:50 PM   #10
OneInchGroup

More Shotgun Posts?

If it would be any help, I'm sure some of the members at ASSA could be persuaded to post their tales of target competition with slug guns here.....likely pump up the volume a bit.

Course a while back we started in doing that and some folks took exception because all we ever talked about was.........slug shooting!?!?

Like guys from American SlugShooting Association are likely to be chatting about Rimfire pistols??

Anyway, here's a thread starter for all you lonely shotgunners out there...Can you do better than this at 100 yards? (That's a .787" Group with an 870 )

Y'all are welcome to try, and then LET PEOPLE HERE KNOW ABOUT IT!!!!
Old October 12, 2005, 01:28 AM   #11
Homer

I'll do better than that.

If not with a smooth bore slug barrel, than with a Sabot slug rifled barrel.

All, with an OD Remington Express receiver.

Just, give me some time...
Old October 12, 2005, 01:52 AM   #12
mathman

Quote:
Granted as a general ruleshotgunners have a certain politeness about them, many are amazed when they visit a clay range how folks warm up to them and ask if they want to shoot "their" gun. Offer them "their" ammo to shoot, or buy them a soda without even asking.
I have noticed this as well...it seems shotgunners are indeed gentlemen.
Old October 12, 2005, 11:45 PM   #13
Kestrel

We have most of the shotgun discussions in the "Members Only" section of the site. That's the most activity.