The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 23, 2018, 06:21 PM   #1
libiglou

advice on a cz97b

Hey Guys

Well the new gun bug has hit again. Initially thought it was going to be another 1911 but the ones I want are out of my price point for now. Always wanted a CZ. Was thinking of a compact 75. The one at the LGS felt great in the hand but I have a number of 9mm's and wanted to add to the 45acp stable. Came across the 97b on youtube and it was love at first sight. So whats the problem? Based on research the grip seems to be a problem for some folks. I have a coonan and a desert eagle that I have no problem shooting. I have small to med hands. Worst there are no local LGS's that have one in stock. They all told me they can get it, but I would like to try one on my hand and see how my finger reaches the trigger. Should I be concerned?
Second not too much info available on whether this gun will shoot coated lead bullets with any accuracy or problems.. It will be a range toy for shooting steel and might be used for competition. Def will be adding an adj sight asap. Eventually if things work out I will send it to CGW for further improvements. So what do you guys think?
Old May 23, 2018, 06:39 PM   #2
DaleA

No lesser a personage that Colonel Jeff Cooper liked the CZ 75 so you got that going for you.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Cooper#Bren_Ten

I doubt anybody on this forum is going to tell you NOT to buy a new gun especially one with a pretty good reputation like the CZ 75.

(And I like adjustable sights too.)
Old May 23, 2018, 07:08 PM   #3
Siggy-06

If you have small hands, the grip might be a bit big for you or you may have trouble reaching the trigger. Like all steel cz's, the trugger gets better the more you shoot it, or you can sendnit to cgw. I believe they make a kit to reduce trigger reach for it too. If you don't want a 1911 or a Sig P220, the CZ97b is a fine choice.
Old May 23, 2018, 07:57 PM   #4
tallball

If there is a gun show near you, you could probably hold one.

I like all of my CZ's. The 45's are among my favorites.
Old May 23, 2018, 09:08 PM   #5
Nathan

I read and have experienced that CZ runs in batches. One week, there are 97B's and the next 75B SAO's. The point is, the dump here batches onto the importer, who dumps them to a big distributor, who dumps to the big net stores, then finally to the local shops.

Ordering from Grabagun, CZUSA or CGW may help you avoid eternal on order status.

I think it is a great gun and no better way to try than buying. Order from someone that has them in stock.
Old May 23, 2018, 09:38 PM   #6
JDBerg

CGW E-Conversion for CZ 97B/BD

https://cajungunworks.com/product/e-...97b-bd-625-00/

You really have to see one of these CGW E-Conversion 97B’s to appreciate it! Truly amazing custom work!
Old May 23, 2018, 11:55 PM   #7
Dan-O

I have xl hands and it fits me great. The trigger curve is a bit weird for me and I get a blister at about 100 rounds. Mine hiccups a bit on lswc’s, but I think I need to run some more rounds through her.

If you can find one, I’d snap it up.
Old May 24, 2018, 02:40 PM   #8
libiglou

well hit another store today. No dice. He's getting one in in June. Same deal. They don't stay on the shelf long. I had a discussion with him about the trigger reach and he compared it a springfield XD 45, which I have and shoot rather well and is comfortable in the hand. I didn't plan on making a move on this till mid to late June so I'll wait. I keep hearing that semi wad cutters are a no no in this gun but some have had good success. Hopefully will have no issues with my reloads. This gives me time to research this till death like I do with everything else. Wifey is going to be mad......
Old May 24, 2018, 03:34 PM   #9
Fishbed77

Quote:
I read and have experienced that CZ runs in batches.
This is true. MAC has a video where he visits the CZUB factory in the Czech Republic, and it's a surprisingly small operation, despite their wide product line and volume of production.
Old May 25, 2018, 01:43 AM   #10
Guggmeister

I have one. All grip problems go away with thin aluminium grips.
But you cannot reach the slide release, it’s far away. I bought a 9mm sp-01 shadow slide release and filed it down on the ’inside’ so it won’t mess up feeding the last cartridge.

It’s not a good gun. Coated led will work, but only TC profile. RN has to be loaded too short. Mag capacity sucks.

That said it’s a very comfortable and accurate range gun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old May 25, 2018, 04:36 AM   #11
Nathan

Quote:
It’s not a good gun.
Did you mean to say that?
Old May 25, 2018, 05:37 AM   #12
1stmar

I have small hands as well, single action is ok. No way you can manage the dble action trigger with any level of accuracy or consistency. Trigger reach for me is a real stretch dble action. Almost have to change my grip. Can only get the tip (not the pad) of my finger on the trigger. Single action isnt too bad, however, its no 1911 single action, even after a trigger job. Lastly, I have no way to measure it, but my gut is the lock time of the cz is materially longer than a 1911. Of course longer is relative.
Old May 25, 2018, 08:43 AM   #13
jr24

I don't like DA/SA guns as a rule, since I simply don't shoot them as well as striker or SAO, despite trying to "get" the trigger often over the course of years and thousands of rounds (still have a Sig P229 in the safe, still shoot it semi regularly)

That said. If I actually saw a good shape 97B at any of my local stores for a reasonable price, I'd be on it in a flash. I really want one, but not quite enough to order a new one full price.
Old May 25, 2018, 01:14 PM   #14
Walt Sherrill

The issue with the CZ 97B is that it has a pretty big grip -- it's a handful. You really need to try one out before you buy or order. The Witness line has a number of very similar guns and the grip frame of those models are noticeably slimmer.

I really like CZs, and found the 97B just a bit bigger than I could comfortably use. (They didn't have thin grips available back then, and NOW that's an option you can think about if the gun ALMOST fits you!)

The 97B is a great gun, and along with the SIG P220, one of the most accurate .45s, out of the box. (I picked up a Springfield XDm Competition a while back, and that one has really impressed me, too. I'd rather have it than the other two. I've had all three, and multiple P220s, a 220 Match, and a 220 Super Match!)

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; May 27, 2018 at 10:11 AM.
Old May 27, 2018, 12:04 AM   #15
hemiram

I wanted a CZ97B for a long time, but once I bought my SAR K2 45, all desire for the "real thing" went away. The K2 45 is a great gun..
Old May 27, 2018, 01:19 PM   #16
libiglou

I started doing research into the EAA witness line. Their Match series seem very similar to the 97. I think the witness is going to be the backup plan if this gun dosen't fit the hand too well. The witness does have a lot going for it. I know with the 97 I will spending more money to do upgrades. The E package is well over $600 then include sights , barrel bushing and this baby is approaching mid level 1911 status. Lots to ponder here but that is what makes it all interesting.
Old May 27, 2018, 01:33 PM   #17
Walt Sherrill

Don't overlook the fact that you can buy a 97B directly from the CZ Custom Shop or Cajun Gun Works, with the key work already done -- and you don't have to pay to ship it there and back, after getting the gun. They can ship to an FFL near you.

If you're going to have a lot of worik done, buying a new gun already tweaked by someone like CZ Custom or CGW can save you some big dollars. Cajun Gun Works can do similar work on the Tanfoglio guns (Witness Match, etc.), too.
Old May 27, 2018, 01:35 PM   #18
Rockrivr1

I have large hands so the 97B works well for me. As others have said it might be difficult with smaller hands. Overall I don't find it to be to much of a handful and is damn fun to shoot. They are harder to find, which over time just helps the overall long term value.

Old May 27, 2018, 04:50 PM   #19
10-96

I don't have very big hands either. Reaching the trigger on the 97 isn't the chore, it's getting enough of my hand around the grip to- well, get a good controllable grip. I eyeballed a 97B-D with thin aluminum grips that just tickled me silly. They were factory grips.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old May 31, 2018, 09:33 AM   #20
rt11002003

I think my initial response to this topic was lost somewhere last week. My shooting buddy is a diehard CZ fan. Owns a half dozen, carries one. We each bought a CZ75 Tactical Sport a couple of years ago. We're convinced it's the best value out in 9mm.

He bought a 97b some months ago; put a lot CGW parts in it. Had me shoot it. Instant love! I finally found one after several weeks of searching. Guess a new shipment came in. I asked my buddy to fix mine exactly the same as his. Mine turned out with a lighter trigger pull, 2.2 pounds.

I've owned several pistols in .45. Including 1911s, a couple of HK USPs (Target and Expert), a HK Mark 23 and a Shield. I've never been a huge fan of .45, but really like the Shield and the Mark 23. This CZ 97b beats all of the .45s I've shot. It's extremely accurate and heavy enough that recoil is manageable by my 80 year old body. My hands are small (glove size 8?), but have no trouble handling the 97b.

I need to mention that we're both target shooters. The CGW parts made our 97bs SA, which is OK for target shooting. The 2.2 pound trigger is great for target shooting, perhaps not so great for carry duty.
Old May 31, 2018, 01:10 PM   #21
propforce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Sherrill View Post
The issue with the CZ 97B is that it has a pretty big grip -- it's a handful. You really need to try one out before you buy or order. The Witness line has a number of very similar guns and the grip frame of those models are noticeably slimmer.

I really like CZs, and found the 97B just a bit bigger than I could comfortably use. (They didn't have thin grips available back then, and NOW that's an option you can think about if the gun ALMOST fits you!)

The 97B is a great gun, and along with the SIG P220, one of the most accurate .45s, out of the box. (I picked up a Springfield XDm Competition a while back, and that one has really impressed me, too. I'd rather have it than the other two. I've had all three, and multiple P220s, a 220 Match, and a 220 Super Match!)
It's not because of thickness of the grip. It's because CZ has the trigger forward that added 3/8" ~1/2" to the distance.

This photo shows the side-by-side comparison to a Springfield 1911 with Commander length barrel. 1911 sits on top the CZ. The trigger of CZ is visibly forward. .

Compare the thickness of a CZ97 vs a 1911. CZ97 on the right.

That said, I have medium-to-large hands so I may not appreciate a smaller hand problem. You notice I put a set of Pachmyer grip on the 1911, which makes the grip feels "thicker". It "fills" my hand well and I get a positive grip, and it absorbs the recoils well.

Last edited by propforce; May 31, 2018 at 01:23 PM.
Old May 31, 2018, 06:46 PM   #22
Walt Sherrill

Quote:
Originally Posted by propforce
It's not because of thickness of the grip. It's because CZ has the trigger forward that added 3/8" ~1/2" to the distance.
Many DA/DA guns have a longer trigger pull lengths than most 1911s so your photo isn't a good standard for comparison. The Tanfoglio-produced Witness .45 versions of the basic CZ pattern/design are quite similar to the CZ 97B, but have a smaller grip frame and an easier to access DA trigger -- despite the fact they use the same magazines! The CZ-design DA trigger pull of the Witness .45s is not a problem for most hands.

At one time (at the same time!) I had a Witness Sport Long Slide in .45, an ASAI One Pro in .45, and a CZ 97B, and only the 97B was a problem for me. Except for the grip frame sizes, the guns were otherwise quite similar, and all used interchangeable 10-round magazines.

While the hammer-down (i.e., DA) trigger position of the 97B is long (as is the case with the 75B) does add to the problem I'd argue that it is grip size that causes problems for most .45 shooters.

Thinner grips weren't available when I had a 97B, and they do make a big difference. The fact that thinner grips aren't needed with the metal-framed Witness .45s can't can be ignored -- those guns feel almost like a 75B in the hand..

I suspect that Cajun Gun Works may have (or could whip up) a trigger pull length reduction kit for the 97b or you could also convert it to SAO, ala 1911. In that case, trigger pull length would become a non-issue.

I don't know why CZ just hasn't bitten THAT bullet for all of their DA/SA models!

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; May 31, 2018 at 07:11 PM.
Old May 31, 2018, 06:58 PM   #23
WVsig

https://cajungunworks.com/product/rr...reduction-kit/ + https://cajungunworks.com/product/sr...eset-system-2/

This + slim grips makes the CZ97 much more manageable. IMHO
Old June 1, 2018, 01:43 AM   #24
Pilot

I have a newer 97B with the thin, black aluminum grips. I do have large hands, and long fingers, but I still start it out at half cock just to reduce trigger pull for the first shot. It is my favorite .45 ACP pistol by far.
Old June 1, 2018, 05:00 PM   #25
libiglou

Thanks for all the replies. Been looking into the witness line,specifically the match elite. Damn that one is hard to get as well, especially in 45acp. The reviews have been very good and price wise it is the same as the CZ. Like I said no big rush. Would like either one in my hands by 4th of July. Starting to think to load a bunch more 45. Between my 1911's and one of these I'm going to go through ammo quick. Def will let you guys know the outcome of this. Looking forward to my new summer gun , whenever it gets here.