The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 9, 2018, 11:30 AM   #51
F. Guffey

Quote:
Feed ramps protruding into chambers cause bulges. Period.
Feed ramps that protrude into the chamber is a bad habit. I do not have a ramp that defeats the purpose of the chamber, my chambers support the case. If I fire a case in a pistol that is ejected with a bulge I want my money back or I want cases with thicker case heads, no, I will settle for my money back.

That is a one off thing; I am the only reloader that measure the thickness of the case head from the cup above the web to the case head and again, I am not the fan of moving, rolling and displacing the brass in the case head.

F. Guffey
Old June 9, 2018, 11:33 AM   #52
F. Guffey

Out of the 23,000 cases not one of them had a bulge, I did find two cases with Berdan primers.

F. Guffey
Old June 9, 2018, 11:57 AM   #53
T. O'Heir

Forget the ogive. It doesn't matter and isn't how OAL is measured by SAAMI.
You can forget all the money for the assorted gauges too. A Dial Vernier is all you need.
Every chamber is different and you cannot use the same OAL based on the distance to the lands in all rifles.
When you're using the same brass in multiple rifles, you must FL resize every time. And you need to watch the case lengths.
Old June 9, 2018, 01:42 PM   #54
Metal god

Quote:
Rims get hammered out upon firing. Period.
The entire recoil force is applied directly to case head/rim against the bolt face.
Brass is softer than steel, recoil force is more than sufficient to move brass.
These are the factors.
Can you explain in a little more detail what you mean in the bold section ? The way I read that , it is completely false so I may be misunderstanding what you are saying .

Example : I have on numerous occasions fired my 308 rifles and had the primers back out of the pocket . This has only happened on load development at the low/start charges . The reason this happens as I understand it is there was not enough pressure to stretch the case head back up against the bolt face after the firing pin drove the case fully forward against the chambers shoulder . This results in there being a gap between the case head and bolt face throughout the entire discharge event . That gap allows the primer to push out of the primer pocket that same amount until it's stopped by the bolt face .

My question ( assuming what I just wrote is true ) where did all that felt recoil I experienced come from if the case head never touched the bolt face ?

You can look at it another way as well . The pressure that was necessary to expand the case and stick it to the chamber wall had to have been high . I don't know what that is but likely in the 50Kpsi range maybe 45Kpsi . That would seem to indicate that a 308 rifle can be fired and experience at least 45K psi of pressure and NO stress or load has been put on the bolt face or even the lugs .I believe the case expands and sticks to the chamber walls and does not stretch back to the bolt face until the chamber pressures are greater then 45K psi ( Numbers are approximate ) at which point the case will start to stretch back to the bolt face . Well the fact most of us are not loading to pressures any more the 62K psi and the case and chamber walls complete support the pressures up to about 45K psi . Would seem to indicate the max load a 308 bolt face ever actually has to with stand is 17K psi ????

I don't think the entire recoil force it s supported by the bolt face is all I'm saying

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old June 9, 2018, 04:20 PM   #55
JeepHammer

This is the way I see it, if you have a different take, fine with me...

Primer is struck,
The powder burns,
Hot gasses expand,
The bullet starts to move as pressure is still rising,
Cases moved backwards in the chamber from the bullet plugging the barrel,

How exactly can a primer stay pushed out under the force of chamber pressure?

I've never had a primer back out past flush in a bolt rifle, the primers are sometimes flattened, but still flush with case head stamp surface.
It would take a super sloppy short case to bang the bolt face and rebound enough to leave space for a primer to keep moving backwards and protrude from the case.

The primer actually gets pressed into firing pin hole, but the primer face is still flush with the case headstamp surface.

The super short/sloppy case in the chamber would account for a primer 'Mushrooming', not just flattening out, which I have seen in a couple of rifles with completely junk chambers, or loads so hot they push the primer out into the radius of the primer pocket.
Loads this hot are usually busy trying to remove headstamps and flowing rims out of the chamber...

There is a CRAP LOAD more surface area inside the case at the head the pressure can act on,
Way more than the pressure can get through the flash hole and act on the surface area of the primer.

When looking down into a case, you can plainly see there is room for a ring of primers (and space between them) around the flash hole, this is all surface area the chamber pressure is acting on.
I can't see a primer ever holding the full force of recoil, keeping the case head off the bolt.
Plainly the case head would crush the primer to a pulp, or more likely, just push it back into the pocket.

I have seen primers back out of blowback & semi autos.
I attribute this to the case slamming the bolt face during normal firing, bullet plugging barrel (before the bullet exits) and the bolt starting to move, case rebounding from the impact with bolt face.

Now, primers are *Supposed* to be recessed into the case, not flush with the case head.
Case hits bolt, primer starts to move, case rebounds off bolt face... Bullet exits barrel and primer keeps moving until it hits the bolt (momentum, pressure or some of both).
With either blowback or semi auto, the case is in the process of being ejected with primer still unseated.

While the case and chamber will absorb some of the PRESSURE,
Case recoil is 100% directly opposed to the travel of the bullet.
And while there will be a crap load of argument about this, it's a basic law of motion/physics...
(For every action, bullet moving down the barrel, there is an opposite and equal reaction, the case moving directly opposite the direction of the bullet)

I see pushed primers more in semi autos than blowback, I have to think that's the bolt unlocking before bullet exits the barrel.
I would have to suspect this is the reason for crimped primers in military ammo which started with the Advent of gas operated machine guns, long before gas operated infantry rifles.

I'm sure down through the history of cartridge firearms there was staked or crimped primers.
Eject upon firing artillery cases come to mind right away, I have a couple empty WWI cases and they have staked primers... One of them makes a good Dillon primer tube holder...
No reason to stake a primer if there wasn't an issue with primers dislodging with about any bolt open upon firing actions.

Last edited by JeepHammer; June 9, 2018 at 04:37 PM.
Old June 9, 2018, 04:36 PM   #56
Metal god

Quote:
I've never had a primer back out past flush in a bolt rifle,
Then you've never shot a low pressure round .

Quote:
Primer is struck,
The powder burns,
Hot gasses expand,
The bullet starts to move as pressure is still rising,
Firing pin strikes primer shoving the case fully forward until it stops on the chambers shoulder or extractor .
The case expands and seals to the chamber to the wall locking it in place BEFORE the case moves back to the bolt face .

Simple to understand if you understand how case head separation happens . If the case is ALWAYS pushed back against the bolt face there would never be case head separation because the shoulder would just blow forward rather then the case stretching at the pressure ring where the case thins out just above the head of the case .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old June 9, 2018, 05:18 PM   #57
JeepHammer

So, what you are saying is, case moves forward with firing pin strike,
The case expands BEFORE the slip fit between case & bullet releases the bullet and the laws of physics take over,
The bullet hitting the throat won't push the case backwards in the chamber, or the primer in a slip fit pocket can overcome chamber pressure from acting on the case?

I guess everyone needs a 'Working Theroy'.

Last edited by JeepHammer; June 9, 2018 at 05:36 PM.
Old June 9, 2018, 05:40 PM   #58
JeepHammer

Your 'Assumption' REQUIRES the chamber pressure be LESS than the pressure required to remove a case from a resigning die.
I can't even begin to believe that because it takes several hundred times the force your press required to size the case just to form the bullet to the rifling...
The bullet being solid core and MUCH harder to form than resize a case.

Not trying to start a crap fight, just pointing out facts of the situation...
Old June 9, 2018, 07:35 PM   #59
F. Guffey

Quote:
The case expands and seals to the chamber to the wall locking it in place BEFORE the case moves back to the bolt face .
He did not correctly cut and paste the step sequence.

Quote:
BEFORE the case moves back to the bolt face
That just does not happen, if the case is locked to the chamber the case has no choice but to stretch between the case head and case body. And then there is the neck; if the case fires with the shoulder of the case against the shoulder of the chamber the neck does not get shorter; the length of the case increases in length from the shoulder of the case to the case head.

And then? I have cases that increase in length .016" from the shoulder to the case head when fired. When fired the case shoulder does not move and the neck shortens. AND! the firing pin did not drive the case forward.

F. Guffey
Old June 9, 2018, 08:25 PM   #60
Metal god

Quote:
Not trying to start a crap fight, just pointing out facts of the situation..
I don't think you are even a little . I believe you believe what you are saying as do I . I like an honest difference of opinion and debate . If you can explain how case head separation happens in your theory I'm willing to listen . If the head of the case is firmly against the bolt face how does the web stretch and become thinner ? If the case head always ends up against the bolt face before pressures get real high . How can it be bad to have excess head space ( size your case to small ) from head to datum . In both instances the shoulders will just blow forward and form to the chamber and no stress will be put on the web area of the case ????

Old June 9, 2018, 08:38 PM   #61
F. Guffey

Quote:
Not trying to start a crap fight, just pointing out facts of the situation..
Fact or fiction; truth from nonsense:

I have said there is a sequence of events, I have said the events must be complicated because they drive reloaders to the curb.

F. Guffey
Old June 9, 2018, 10:07 PM   #62
JeepHammer

You said it yourself, stretch.

I think (and this is just what I think) the powder burns rear to front.
The primer ignites the powder, pressure builds as the powder burns rear to front.
Time is a factor here, the powder must burn and the burn must have time, even a millisecond to transfer heat from burn into expansion.
(That's why it's called 'Thermal Expansion')

In my model, remaining powder is forced forward against the shoulder.
Keep in mind here not all powder burns, if it did, when you shoot cardboard in front of the muzzle you wouldn't find unburned powder & powder that stuck & burned in the cardboard.

So, unburned powder and pressure are pushing on the shoulder & back of the case, since side walls will be the first to bloat and hit the walls of the chamber...
The shoulder moves forward, relative to case head.

This model means the back of the powder chamber heats most, and sees the most pressure.
Most case head separations I see are just above the web at the bottom of the powder chamber, this would be exactly where the case would stretch most, and thin most in this model.
Keep in mind that brass becomes very weak at just over 750-800*F, and the rear of the powder chamber will see the most heat 'Soak' time (being exposed to the first of the burn, well before the bullet moves).

What saves the case is thermal transfer, heat soaks brass, brass then transfer heat to chamber.
Chamber works like a heat sink and saves brass.
The overpressure & overheating of the brass before the brass swells enough to contact chamber walls would also explain why the case swells well into the web where it's so damned difficult to get out.

I've seen endless postulation on how powder burns, but the fact of the matter is, it doesn't all burn simply because you get a muzzle blast, and in stop motion photography show 'Sparks', grains of powder burning outside the muzzle.
Now, this is pretty conclusive it's not just heat/plasma escaping and all the powder burned like some people think.
It's by far not all 'Hot Carbon' by the time it exits the muzzle as some claim...

I can be totally off base, anything is possible, but this explains how case heads separate where they do, and how they do.

I can't believe a case can become 'Locked' into a chamber so tightly that case stretch, or bullet departure and rearward recoil force can't dislodge it.
I've tried to move a bullet in a barrel after it was sized to the rifling (squib removal) and you have to use hydraulic force or a REALLY big hammer, and that's AFTER it's sized, just overcoming the interference fit between bullet & barrel.
Old June 10, 2018, 12:05 AM   #63
BBarn

Keep in mind that the pressure is the same in every direction. So the force against the case walls (and subsequently against the chamber) is the greater than the force against the base of the bullet or bottom of the case. (The greater the area, the greater the force).

During firing, the base of the case ends up against the bolt face in one of two ways (EDIT: assuming there is some clearance between case and chamber/bolt). If the pressure is great enough the case stretches in the web area until it hits the bolt face. If the pressure isn't enough to stretch the case in the web area, the case is driven back against the bolt face as the bullet exits the barrel and the pressure drops enough for the case walls to release from the chamber and allow the case slide back against the bolt face.

A case moving back against the bolt face early in the firing sequence would be a very bad, since that would mean high pressure gas would also be able to escape reward at the same time. Instead, the case is held tightly against the chamber by great force very early in the firing sequence, effectively sealing the case body against the inside of the chamber.

Last edited by BBarn; June 10, 2018 at 12:26 AM.
Old June 10, 2018, 02:38 AM   #64
Metal god

Another thing to keep in mind is that the chain of events happens so fast . The strength of the firing pin spring holds the the case forward as well . That might be the largest contributing factor of the case staying forward during ignition.

Old June 10, 2018, 08:06 AM   #65
F. Guffey

or refuse to believe:

Quote:
I can't believe a case can become 'Locked' into a chamber so tightly that case stretch, or bullet departure and rearward recoil force can't dislodge it.
I've tried to move a bullet in a barrel after it was sized to the rifling (squib removal) and you have to use hydraulic force or a REALLY big hammer, and that's AFTER it's sized, just overcoming the interference fit between bullet & barrel.
Again: I like a chamber that reflects the image of the rifling in the barrel. I do not want cross hatching and or spiral cuts; I understand most believe a rough surface has more grip, not me. I prefer a 100% contact, when it comes to case hold in the chamber nothing says it better than 100% contact between the case and chamber than 100%.

And there are all of those PSIs, 10s of thousands of them, what is the infatuation with greasing your bullet, case and chamber if not for the case locking onto the chamber wall? Slide and glide shooters thought it was a great way to fire form cases. One of the ugliest threads ever was committed on a bench rester forum. That one went for 40 pages, there was no room for decency; the winner? The winner was the most rude, vulgar and in my opinion based on my observation the most socially dysfunctional. All of those that could be intimidated were afraid of him and that made him worst. If a poster did not agree with him he would insult the poster until the poster.... it should not have been that way.

He was anti-grease your bullet, case and chamber.

F. Guffey
Old June 10, 2018, 08:20 AM   #66
F. Guffey

Quote:
Keep in mind that the pressure is the same in every direction.
I agree, the firing pin is mechanical, the powder when contained goes fast; now we should consider time as a factor.

Some believe it is a wrinkle or a progressive increase in pressure from the case head to the neck of the case. NECK OF THE CASE The case neck releases the bullet before the bullet has it's run at the rifling.

Back in the old days they built cases with tubes that extended from the flash hole to the top of the powder column in an effort to ignite the powder behind the projectile first. Somewhere around here I have a cannon shell with the long tube that extends the flash.

F. Guffey
Old June 10, 2018, 08:52 AM   #67
JeepHammer

Pressure is the same in every direction. Fact, no question.

Forward in the case pressure is pushing a solid against the shoulder since a rifle case is more or less full.
It's a fairly fine grain solid that will often pack and stick together.
Anyone this has torn down loads has seen the clumps.

With modern powders, the loads are often compressed. No real air space left in the case to speak of.

I point to black powder cases that often aren't full and need filler to keep the powder burning and not allowing the entire powder charge to burn at once.
I learned that one the hard way using hollow based bullets and destroying the revolver.

I still can't see a firing pin holding a case forward.
First the primer is very soft and it's already clearance from the pin strike. I can't see that primer holding the force of recoil.
Just decapping force often pushes the firing pin dent mostly back out, and there is the primer anvil in the way, spreading the decapping pin force out when decapping.

Like I said, it's a working theroy from observation,
The banding/thinning/pitting of the brass in the bottom of the powder chamber, precisely where the powder burns first and the case gets the hottest.
Heat concentration causing the pitting & banding from stretching at that small area.

The intense pressure that has to build to size the bullet in the throat is way more than sufficency to overcome any sticking the case might with the chamber walls.
Keep in mind the bullet has started to move by the time it reaches the throat, so case recoil is in full swing at this point in the process.

To say a case sticks to the chamber walls during firing would also mean you wouldn't need the bolt in place at all since the case would hold itself in place in the chamber during firing cycle.
It would simply release after the bullet exits the barrel, more or less...

I've sectioned a LOT of cases for material inspection (hardness testing, micrographs), and to look for changes in design & materials from year to year or manufacturer to manufacturer, I've done a lot of sections to see what repeated reloading does to cases, mostly to figure out when I should scrap cases so they don't fail in the chamber...

--- One thing I keep coming back to, there wouldn't be any reloading if the cases weren't overbuilt in the first place...
The rear of that case ALWAYS takes more of a beating from firing than any other part.
It's stretched (you guys know the paper clip test), it's pitted, it's carbonized, and I don't even want to guess what temprature it takes to carbonize brass!

The necks get 'Warbles' with repeated reloading, this is from the reloading process.
The case stretches at the lower walls, the resizing die forces the extra length up the case to the neck where we trim it off. All resizing, not the firing process.

While you see unseated primers and think the brass wasn't against the bolt face, I see a primer in a slip fit pocket that can get knocked loose at any time during the firing-eject cycle.

What I see is brass migration from head to rim, I see headstamps Being hit hard enough to flatten the head material and make it migrate out to rim & into extraction groove, lower head & web bloating from migrating brass & huge pressure/heat loading during the firing cycle.

The ejection is a cake walk compared to what the case takes in the chamber, I've seen ejection equivalent force yank primers, every time I work the press handle in fact,
But I've never seen ejection equivalent force make brass 'Plastic' and flow...

If anyone has a better explanation for brass migration, particularly downward in the head, I'll give it my full attention. Right now this is my working theroy, and it accounts for what the brass does, from pitting/carbonizing to bloating to hammering the head out oversize, to blowing primer pockets out oversize...

Every Reloader seems to fixate on the parts of the case they bend. It's natural since that's the part they see, inspect, handle and move around.
When I started sectioning cases, that's when the head scratching began...
When I started to recondition brass and had to measure rims, grooves, web that's when I realized something was going on I had completely ignored.

When I started to produce new brass, that's when I started to understand the force it takes to make brass 'Plastic', what force it takes to make solid brass in the head migrate.
(And, like every beginner, I had to hire an actual expert to continue since I was WAY out of my education zone and well beyond the point of my understanding).

Cases were created through trial & error, there have been brass (naturally), zinc, aluminum, tin, steel, copper, lead and even ductile iron that I know about. There is probably a lot more materials I have no idea about tried.
I can't even guess how many different alloys were tested/tried!

Now it's a science, the science has settled on 'High' brass as a common case material, probably because it holds up and humans understand how to work it efficiently.
I'm just chasing the evidence since I don't have a degree in metallurgy specialising in Non-ferrous metals, specifically brass alloys.

I'm doing observation, and trying to extrapolate what exactly the frack is happening to my cases!
Old June 10, 2018, 09:13 AM   #68
JeepHammer

Guffy, I want answers, not third grade name calling.
There are plenty of oversized children, I don't have to join that demographic.
I have a job, I get things done, I have a higher functioning brain, my education didn't come from YouTube videos & facebag memes...

I'm NOT Archimedes, DaVinci, Einstein, Tesla, Hawking, so the only way I'm going to figure things out is by reading & connecting with other humans.
I bend, drill, turn metal to make machines. I make pretty good machines, but everything I'd do is based on real genius that defined & quantified the factors required for what I do, and they wrote it all down...
Books, like video, only for actually smart & capable people.

I'm proud of my library, the machines either work or they are a learning experience, and I know a good idea when I steal it!

MG, how does your firing pin theroy stand up against spring loaded firing pins, inertia firing pins that aren't as long as the pin bore, strikers, etc.?
I'm not being a prick, I actually want to know.
A 'Free' firing pin will strike & rebound back into the bore,
A striker can't reach the primer in the resting position,
Neither can a spring pin or inertia pin.
All will retract as soon as they strike the primer...

Something like an AR, the hammer will hold firing pin out, but even old revolvers with firing pin on hammer have resting positions where pin doesn't make contact with primer.
Even the oldest shot guns & rifles with external hammers had a resting point that kept the hammer off the firing pin, the pins had springs to retract them.
(Otherwise just closing the bolt could set the round off, which I have to assume, is why 'Rest' notches on hammers were invented!)

This ASSUMES the bores & pins are clean & properly sized, functioning as designed...

Last edited by JeepHammer; June 10, 2018 at 09:26 AM.
Old June 10, 2018, 08:44 PM   #69
308Loader

notes.jpg

Some notes from todays shoot. as I assumed the shoulder was out by .008 ->.010 (confirmed by nick in the 3rd post). at +.008 I can close the bolt with some resistance but at .010 the rifle said no way, as did I. Not sure where things shifted in my die / press setup, rather irrelevant at this point. SD looked like crap on the loads tested today, think it has something to do with the available sunlight constantly changing or my cheep chronograph. All holes in holes at 50 yrds. Range was open to public today, couldn't setup at 200m. Some interesting things popped out at me while recording my notes, but that's for another post. please forgive the poor penmanship on my notes, just a quick hand written thing.

Thanks for the input, was a good learning experience. Now I need to repeat the process with the 700p and make note of its chamber so I don't do this again.

Joe G

Last edited by 308Loader; June 10, 2018 at 09:22 PM.
Old June 10, 2018, 09:14 PM   #70
308Loader

jeep / guffy, enough... start a new thread or PM each other. This one is done and had nothing to do with weather the firing pin holds the case any where in the firing process. I thank you for the input, but now we have gotten into something else. let this one die please.
Old June 11, 2018, 09:30 AM   #71
cw308

All has to do with tight bolt lift , found the dualing a interesting read . Now , Who let the dogs out . Easy answer , Neck sizing only . Other problems , oversizing with hot loads , covers all bases .

Last edited by cw308; June 11, 2018 at 09:39 AM.
Old June 11, 2018, 10:09 AM   #72
F. Guffey

Quote:
All has to do with tight bolt lift
Reloaders are becoming too selective when it comes to what they want to hear.

Quote:
. The strength of the firing pin spring holds the case forward as well . That might be the largest contributing factor of the case staying forward during ignition.
The pressure inside the case can force the firing pin back by overcoming the spring pressure: and do not forget the spring can have 17 pounds of pressure, the pressure inside the case be 50.000 +/-. That has got to have something to do with the .7854 thing

And then there is the dent, the dent in the primer is not the same dent a reloaders sees when he examines the case. When pressure increases inside the case the primer conforms to the firing pin nose because of the increase in pressure. And then there is blanking , Some reloaders have are required to stop shooting when their receivers fill with stamped out plugs from the primer blanking . I know, it sounds cool; 'primer blanking', all that is required is 5 reloaders that do does not understand what is going on to agree to make it a fact.

F. Guffey
Old June 11, 2018, 10:16 AM   #73
F. Guffey

Quote:
. The strength of the firing pin spring holds the case forward as well .
King Kong primers If the primmer is tuff enough to support all of that pressure how is it possible for the firing pin to dent the primer? I have killer firing pin springs. My firing pins crush the primer before its little buddies, the case, powder and bullet know the primer has been crushed. Think about it;

F. Guffey